Cabin Stool

Morris

Featured Posts

Thanks Rob.

I can’t give a definitive answer but the flowers remind me of the work of Judy Vedmore who was active in the 70s. I have some of her work here at home. The stool is similar, but not identical. Best I can do, I’m afraid.....

It would have seemed slightly rude if the person selling it had attached a sticker which could be awkward to remove to a real gem.

I suppose these things happen but it is a relief to find out that it is not an Important Piece. 

Yars ago we had an incident with a Ming dynasty bowl which was unfortunately damaged during an indoor golfing mishap and the value at auction was reduced by many thousands of pounds. 

One must take great care of valuable items but those which are not of import can have stickers applied with gay abandon. 

Dabitoff is useful to get the sticker off. 

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I feel this could damage the paint here. 

I think that I would be more concerned about Dab-it-off because when I used it years ago it was a highly volatile "spirit". It would only be the silicon residue that would concern me, but I am sure thorough cleaning would solve that.

Thanks for your best guess Dave. I thought it had some age to it but I've not seen any examples by 'old masters' to get the idea of what they are like. 

I cringed at the sticker as well. You can forgive that sort of thing at a car boot sale but not really when they are wanting top whack. 

1 hour ago, Morris said:

I cringed at the sticker as well. You can forgive that sort of thing at a car boot sale but not really when they are wanting top whack. 

Is £35 really top whack ? I've seen similar stools going for much more. 

If you don't want it can you tell us where you saw it ? Someone on here may like it at that price 🙂

2 hours ago, John Brightley said:

If you don't want it can you tell us where you saw it ? Someone on here may like it at that price 🙂

Seconded. Strikes me as "Priced to sell to the first viewer".

I'd have happily bought it at double that price. 

5 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Tbh the going rate for such an item is another thing I wasn't sure about! I was guessing based on the other items they were selling which didn't seem to be at bargain prices. 

Sure, it was in Louth, if anyone's interested I'll try to find the name of the shop. 

Bug remover (from vehicle bodywork) would remove the residue but beware of what additives are within, though any cooking oil left to soak into the label will also do the job, even the natural oils from fingers will do it, but patience will be needed.

Blimey David - that's a bit perfect! I'd be frightened to go near that one.

The one in the OP. It was the picture if yours that reminded me of how important it is to see beneath. 

The OP stool does not appear to have the vertical boards at the sides like yours. 

Maybe they are there but the angle of the photo does not make it all that obvious. 

16 hours ago, Morris said:

Thanks for your best guess Dave. I thought it had some age to it but I've not seen any examples by 'old masters' to get the idea of what they are like. 

After something like forty years of removing retailer's stickers from antique items made from wood, I can safely state that the best fluid for their removal is White Spirit. Simply dampen the sticker with White Spirit and wait a few minutes for it to penetrate through to the adhesive layer, then gently lift the sticker away. If it resists removal repeat the process until it will lift without any difficulty. Once removed, any adhesive residue can be easily cleaned off with a cloth dampened with White Spirit. If you have any doubts about the effect of the White Spirit on the paint, test in an area out of view first.

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The one in the OP. It was the picture if yours that reminded me of how important it is to see beneath. 

The OP stool does not appear to have the vertical boards at the sides like yours. 

Maybe they are there but the angle of the photo does not make it all that obvious. 

I would be very surprised if it did not have side rails. I have never seen one without them, and their absence would, as you suggest, make the stool a very weak construction.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

13 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

So how much would you be willing to pay for this one?

MyStool10.thumb.jpg.861aae486f17c380244848f5e0238bff.jpg

Having no castle picture and (as MM points out) being brand new with no patina of age, I reckon about the same - £70.

Is it too for sale then?

I'm very impressed that the artist has not only been identified but also contacted! 

I just found a thread of yours Dave from 2008 with a picture af a hatbox that Judy painted. 

Would these works have been custom orders/ produced for a shop/chandlery /sold on the towpath by the artist/other? 

I wish I had the space to start a collection now