Bridge down in Northolt - Paddington Arm

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I'm going to attempt to merge the threads. This is something I have never ytied before, so please forgive me if carnage ensues.

Well, fallen at thge first hurdle I'm afraid. I entered the name of the topic ("Small Problem" etc) in the requisite box, but the box then demanded that I enter a URL, which I couldn't find. So, as you were...

All is well, Athy - I've done it....

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, IanD said:

The footbridge at Smiths Farm collapsed into the canal last night, several boats already stuck. No notice yet about when CART might attend, problem is that Ealing Council own it so expect arguments about whose problem it is.

My guess is that when the bridge was built there would have been an agreement between Ealing and BW which would have made maintenance Ealing's responsibility, and requiring Ealing not to block the canal or towpath except by prior arrangement for reasonable periods for maintenance. With the bridge collapsing on a Friday evening there would be no ordinary office staff in either organisation to deal with the problem, but I imagine the weekend on-call staff have had the discussion. And my guess is CRT will have told Ealing that if they don't remove the remains promptly, CRT will be getting their own contractors in to do the job and recharging the cost to Ealing.

20 minutes ago, David Mack said:

My guess is that when the bridge was built there would have been an agreement between Ealing and BW which would have made maintenance Ealing's responsibility, and requiring Ealing not to block the canal or towpath except by prior arrangement for reasonable periods for maintenance. With the bridge collapsing on a Friday evening there would be no ordinary office staff in either organisation to deal with the problem, but I imagine the weekend on-call staff have had the discussion. And my guess is CRT will have told Ealing that if they don't remove the remains promptly, CRT will be getting their own contractors in to do the job and recharging the cost to Ealing.

I certainly hope they get it sorted out ASAP, but I still suspect it'll take several days... 😞

On 17/03/2023 at 20:24, Tim Lewis said:

7B7FFA44-FA48-4492-A814-0C4F1CA6F083.jpeg

Looking at that photo, I would not be surprised if a solidly build NB steered at a fair lick at the very centre of that broken bridge would break a path straight through. 

Might be an idea to engage neutral at the last minute though! 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Looking at that photo, I would not be surprised if a solidly build NB steered at a fair lick at the very centre of that broken bridge would break a path straight through. 

Maybe I'll nip down and suggest it to the boaters who are stuck there, see if any of them fancies a go -- what's the worst that can happen?

How about 20 tons of narrowboat sitting a couple of feet out of the water wedged on top of a pile of broken bridge bits? That should make sorting everything out *much* easier... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

Maybe I'll nip down and suggest it to the boaters who are stuck there, see if any of them fancies a go -- what's the worst that can happen?

How about 20 tons of narrowboat sitting a couple of feet out of the water wedged on top of a pile of broken bridge bits? That should make sorting everything out *much* easier... 😉

The assembled audience would have to pull it backwards off again with a couple of lines?

I'd definitely give it a go were I stuck there. But then I can afford to loose the odd boat if stuff goes wrong...

8 hours ago, IanD said:

Could crack a poor weld and cause a leak in the hull. Its rare but has happened.

15 hours ago, IanD said:

It's been rotten and closed off for a couple of years -- but apparently there were some kids playing on it yesterday. Built by Ealing Council using Millenium funding but with no maintenance. Expect an argument about whose problem it is to fix it when CART and Ealing Council wake up on Monday... 😞

Just cycled from there into Paddington and back, warned a couple of boaters going that way who didn't know about it -- they both found somewhere to stop 🙂

it’s replacement is already being manufactured and was due to be installed in the near future!

Edited by Tim Lewis

Wood Hall Hewards ILDA would shift it. 90HP cummins and a four leaf clover prop on her. No worries !

maxresdefault.jpg

Probably a lot of rubbish there though so would want a long stretchy line and snatch it rather than drag I think.

17 hours ago, magnetman said:

How did he lose the title of tree surgeon? Was it de-limbing?

It seems odd they call them "tree surgeons" when a better word would be "tree amputation practitioners". 

BS job title. 

As a tree surgeon what may surprise you is I agree, considering what we do to trees has absolutely bugger all to do with surgery and 99.9% of the time does absolutely bugger all to help the tree as well, unfortunately we are stuck with it, various attempts have been made to use arborist but that only confuses people.

Skilful, dangerous yup but definitely not surgery 

I really like the cut of the canal on the paddington arm. Its such a beautiful shape. Shame that the whole area is such a general hell hole. Some of the curves there are to die for. Specially as it is getting dark. Time travel material. 

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

And not a gunpowder barge in site - things ain't what they used to be!

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/blog/library-archive/macclesfield-bridge-disaster

I can't see...

By the afternoon of the following Tuesday, the canal had been cleared of the bridge and barges, and was usable once again.

...happening in 2023

• Greenie 2

On 19/03/2023 at 08:17, Tim Lewis said:

it’s replacement is already being manufactured and was due to be installed in the near future!

I was told this too -- that it's metal not wood, and was due to be installed this May...