HRW2 coolant leak found.

Karen Lea Rainey

Featured Posts

On 19/03/2023 at 10:08, Karen Lea Rainey said:

Thank you everyone, sound advice all round, great to get the experience and expertise  from you.

Todays task now awaits.

Thanks

How did you get on?

I'm just about to launch into solving a multitude of water leaks on an HW3

Richard

9 hours ago, RLWP said:

How did you get on?

I'm just about to launch into solving a multitude of water leaks on an HW3

Richard

Hi Richard,

Very close inspection yesterday showed  a leaking gasket from the water cooling manifold to the engine,( not from the water cooling exhaust manifold).looking right underneath and behind the pepper pot air filter, I could see a constant drip of coolant at both inner water cooling gaskets.

They obviously need replacing long term,

Yesterday I sprayed the bolts with wd40 and today I managed to tighten these 2 nuts up by about 90 degrees turn.

This reduced the drip but not completely.

Will give it one more tighten in another couple of days to see if it improves further.

Failing that, it will be quite a big job to remove the exhaust, the water pump and thermostat, the outer water cooled exhaust manifold, then the offending internal engine water cooled manifold.( if that's what its called).

I have highlighted a picture to show where the leak was.IMG_20230318_100916.thumb.jpg.d2caef9ae8414b7a89289d619048bd22.jpg

Sorry,  couldn't highlight the area, but it's the thinner/ internal of the two manifolds, immediately  below the red starting handle bar.