Bradford on Avon boater 'will set fire to boat armed with garden fork'

booke23

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, MtB said:

You seem to know a lot about sock pockets...

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I do understand it's much better to stick the sock(s) down the front of your trunks.

Placing them at the back has a rather different effect...

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I do understand it's much better to stick the sock(s) down the front of your trunks.

Placing them at the back has a rather different effect...

You DEFINITELY know more about this than most of us here!! 

:giggles:

Fruit. From the flower, veg is from the root.

15 hours ago, Athy said:

Oh, immensely. That was one of those schoolboy myths and, from memory, the vowel was different.

Some would try to make you believe that a pregnant goldfish is called a twit, or a twerp. In reality there is no term for a pregnant goldfish because goldfish never get pregnant! Female Goldfish lay eggs and the eggs are fertilised by male fish outside of the body.

32 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fruit. From the flower, veg is from the root.

Some would try to make you believe that a pregnant goldfish is called a twit, or a twerp. In reality there is no term for a pregnant goldfish because goldfish never get pregnant! Female Goldfish lay eggs and the eggs are fertilised by male fish outside of the body.

Quite right.

Eggnant?

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What about all the leafy veg, kale, lettuce etc.

Never mind globe artichoke.

Tomatoes are definitely a fruit though

And what about bananas? They are a herb I once read, so neither a fruit nor a veg.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

And what about bananas? They are a herb I once read, so neither a fruit nor a veg.

Fruit, I've heard the herb thing and am not sure why, apart from the fact banana is monocarpic, which basically means the flowering stem dies after producing the fruit, it sends new stems up from the ground.

I suppose as it produces no woody growth and is basically a collection of leaf bases, maybe that's why it's called a herb?

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

What about all the leafy veg, kale, lettuce etc.

Never mind globe artichoke.

Tomatoes are definitely a fruit though

Like the old adage that knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit

Intelligence is realising that it still doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Quite right.

Eggnant?

The term is gravid  if you are really wanting to know.

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Fruit, I've heard the herb thing and am not sure why, apart from the fact banana is monocarpic, which basically means the flowering stem dies after producing the fruit, it sends new stems up from the ground.

I suppose as it produces no woody growth and is basically a collection of leaf bases, maybe that's why it's called a herb?

There are to the best of my knowledge two definitions of herb.

A plant used for flavourings.

Seed bearing plants with no woody stem and die to ground level after flowering.

Where that leaves the Bananas grown for food I don't know as they never form seeds and are propagated vegetatively.  The last I read the type grown all over the world is Cavendish.

43 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The term is gravid  if you are really wanting to know.

There are to the best of my knowledge two definitions of herb.

A plant used for flavourings.

Seed bearing plants with no woody stem and die to ground level after flowering.

Where that leaves the Bananas grown for food I don't know as they never form seeds and are propagated vegetatively.  The last I read the type grown all over the world is Cavendish.

And that's why a banana plant is a herb ta.

Most, if not all, commercially sold bananas are propagated vegetatively like you say the ability to produce seed has been bred out of them, apparently people don't like bananas with seeds in them

Luckily they produce offshoots after the flowering stem dies 

There are all sorts of dire warnings about the demise of the Cavendish variety due to disease, the plant breeders will just find something new I am sure

• Greenie 1

The banana plant is an 'erb because it has a fleshy stem and not a woody one, but the bit you eat is a fruit because it contains seeds.

All banana plants are clones, effectively all cuttings grown from the same original plant, and they are parthenocarpic -- they can fruit without pollination. 

But here's my favourite thing about bananas, it is a water-colour by a good friend based on Damien Hirst's famed installation "mother and child divided" - I give you Banana - split 😉

image.png.c9fc2854bfec7ab02d1ea3bf12eb63e0.png

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

And that's why a banana plant is a herb ta.

Most, if not all, commercially sold bananas are propagated vegetatively like you say the ability to produce seed has been bred out of them, apparently people don't like bananas with seeds in them

Luckily they produce offshoots after the flowering stem dies 

There are all sorts of dire warnings about the demise of the Cavendish variety due to disease, the plant breeders will just find something new I am sure

Have you ever seen a banana seed?  I grew some once from seed, hard, black, and about 8mm in diameter.  No wonder folk don't like them in their bananas you would break your teeth.

For those who are wondering these weren't the seedless ones used for food, they were one of the 1,000 or so species of Banana.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Have you ever seen a banana seed?  I grew some once from seed, hard, black, and about 8mm in diameter.  No wonder folk don't like them in their bananas you would break your teeth.

For those who are wondering these weren't the seedless ones used for food, they were one of the 1,000 or so species of Banana.

No I haven't, I've grown them or at least a dwarf variety and got that to fruit, I also used the same variety in a summer bedding scheme which confused a great many people  :)

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

No I haven't, I've grown them or at least a dwarf variety and got that to fruit, I also used the same variety in a summer bedding scheme which confused a great many people  :)

Hanging baskets for Ann Summers shopfronts?

CRT issued a final warning to him on 27th March to remove his boats by 5th April or "we will remove it using our powers under Section 8 of the British Waterways Act 1983 and/or Section 13 of the British Waterways Act 1971 without further notice to you and you will be liable for the cost incurred. The removal will take place not less than seven days and not more than 28 days after the date of this letter.”

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/23417170.bradford-avon-boater-facing-eviction-given-new-deadline/?ref=fbshr&fbclid=IwAR1O4xBlMwClOoZ6B795_vV1M2GgfD3MJYFgUdQC2DQsS6oxFdwbTNFKYG0