Bradford on Avon boater 'will set fire to boat armed with garden fork'

booke23

Featured Posts

Section him for his own safety.

Put him in a Secure unit

Remove the boats clear the towpath

job done.

Clearly one sandwich short of the full picnic.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2

Just now, Loddon said:

Section him for his own safety.

Secure unit

Remove the boats clear the towpath

job done.

Or, just let him put his threat into practice - clears all of the problems except one - disposal of the 'wrecks'

He has apparently had over 6 years of notices and threats of action from C&RT so he cannot be unaware that the day would come.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Or as an old mate of mine (not a boater) used to say about crazies, "I don't think they've got both paddles in the water".

Always amused me :) 

If indeed he does have a mental illness I'm a tad surprised to see so many on here taking the mick.

It's as if they believe mental illness will somehow never affect them.

30 minutes ago, booke23 said:

It might....he plans on using a lot of petrol. Quote from the article:

“I will go and buy 40 gallons of petrol and when they turn up I will set fire to everything and myself and the boat. The lot,” he said.

I wondered if he has thought how he would transport 40 gallons (or about 180 litres) of petrol to the boat. Its rather a lot. And since petrol stations generally won't allow you to buy more than 30 litres at a time in containers, that's at least 6 round trips.

sainsburys-522x800.jpg

But given his attitude I don't suppose he'll be too bothered that to store more than 30 litres on his boat, pending the conflagration, he is supposed to notify his local Petroleum Enforcement Authority.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

32 minutes ago, Tonka said:

The newspaper report states that he is mental but surely it is the people who pay for licences and boat safety tests that are mental. We should all be doing what he is doing

So why don't you go and stand in for him? I'll buy you the matches.

OK, any suggestions what to do with him? So he lives in a tip, makes a hell of a mess and annoys a lot of people. That goes for a good many people. There is not a facility in the country that will take him unless he does something seriously criminal. You cannot just bung him in some sort of non existant secure unit. Our eldest frequently spends many hours ringing around after assessing some poor sod in some sort of crisis. Frequently there is nowhere in the entire country who can take them so they stay in a police cell. He is much the same as the people who turn up on the telly from time to time who hoard everything and live in chaos. No council will ever want to house him, the boats look to be ruinous but if he was evicted he would just turn up in Bath city centre or somewhere and be an even bigger nuisance. There are just a (very) few people who fall outside of everything and unless we want to see murder squads on the streets getting rid of undesirables like they do in some S. American countries then just leave him alone 

• Greenie 2

C&RT should go ahead with their system to remove him - thems the rules, they are not in the mental health business so should leave that side of it to the experts. As for the twit, either he will go out in a blaze of headlines and smoke or will get housed by the local council. I know which one I’d prefer he did. Basically he has decided to be a parasite on the rest of us just because he can. Don’t know his age but he looks to be of pensionable age so is entitled to the same pension I get - pay your way and make do like I do.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Bee said:

OK, any suggestions what to do with him? So he lives in a tip, makes a hell of a mess and annoys a lot of people. That goes for a good many people. There is not a facility in the country that will take him unless he does something seriously criminal. You cannot just bung him in some sort of non existant secure unit. Our eldest frequently spends many hours ringing around after assessing some poor sod in some sort of crisis. Frequently there is nowhere in the entire country who can take them so they stay in a police cell. He is much the same as the people who turn up on the telly from time to time who hoard everything and live in chaos. No council will ever want to house him, the boats look to be ruinous but if he was evicted he would just turn up in Bath city centre or somewhere and be an even bigger nuisance. There are just a (very) few people who fall outside of everything and unless we want to see murder squads on the streets getting rid of undesirables like they do in some S. American countries then just leave him alone 

So because he has 'problems' the laws of the land should not be applied to him ?

(He obviously thinks they shouldn't)

16 minutes ago, Bee said:

The problem is that you either have a society that looks after these people, or you choose to let them die. Much the same as with the seriously physically disabled. Our particular society decided many years ago to go for the second option, and has reiterated that choice whenever given a chance to vote on it, and I have no doubt will do so again.

• Greenie 3

If NBTA are a serious organisation, they should have at least recognised the mental health concern to the extent that if he is threatening self-harm, engaged with proper professionals who can properly assess his risk to himself and others. Police, ambulance staff etc will act quickly and have powers to do so, if needed. They tend to take these obligations seriously when harm/loss of life is realistic.

The accommodation/boats are a clear case of an Equality Act adjustment in this case, if the above is genuine.

If he's making these types of threats but is actually not serious/they are full of caveats and holes, then the "fix the boat, get a BSS, get a licence" route is the best advice.

----------

Maybe the question should be, is Nick Brown qualified and competent to offer proper advice in this situation, or are they taking advantage of a vulnerable person to further their cause?

• Greenie 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

So because he has 'problems' the laws of the land should not be applied to him ?

(He obviously thinks they shouldn't)

Not someone else banging on about laws? Obviously never broken one in your life. Including speed limits. Ever.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Not someone else banging on about laws? Obviously never broken one in your life. Including speed limits. Ever.

He is required to have a licence, a BSS and insurance - he is a risk to people on the bank as well as other boaters and is endangering the public.

He should be removed.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

But the difference between this parasite and most of the rest of us is when caught we pay the fine / invoice whatever it is.

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

If he's making these types of threats but is actually not serious/they are full of caveats and holes, then the "fix the boat, get a BSS, get a licence" route is the best advice.

People have been urging him to do exactly that for some years. An online funding appeal raised £7,500 for him a few years back, and volunteers raised his boat after it was allegedly sunk by a speeding hire boat. But it seems he has squandered that help.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

People have been urging him to do exactly that for some years. An online funding appeal raised £7,500 for him a few years back, and volunteers raised his boat after it was allegedly sunk by a speeding hire boat. But it seems he has squandered that help.

Has he been properly assessed by a mental health professional?

You cant section people for being strange eccentric different or a pain to everyone else.

His view of the world is highly entitled not mentally unwell. 
By suggesting he needs forced detention under the act you are doing a great dis service to the unfortunate few, who have to loose their freedom and liberty to have care forced on them.

Anti social associal possibly different defo,  but thats allowed. Its the courts job to deal with damage to society like that.

My mother was detained under a section 2 after she prepared to kill herself but was interrupted. It was a voluntary admission but if she had not agreed they would have forced her. She was later let out of hospital and successfully killed herself. 

My older sister has been sectioned quite a few times over the last few yars but seems more stable now thankfully. She was not a suicide risk but with Bipolar there was a view she could be a danger to others. 

This bloke on the boat is an idiot attention seeker. If he was an MH case the services would be aware of it. 

The CRT need to Get rid of the boats and lose him. Nobody wants this type on the cut.

Claiming you are going to kill yourself is the lowest form of insult. 

Just do it. Clear the scum. 

• Greenie 1