12v TV

GUMPY

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Bee said:

I'm sure you've thought of this but there are dead cheap inverters on E Bay and plenty of cheap 240v tellys.

I’m often surprised at the price of 2nd hand tellies, still asking a lot of cash for very old TFT/LCD/LED, not what i’d call cheap at all. In fact even ones with broken screens can be £60-£100.

One day i’ll find some cheap enough to build that digital pinball machine i’ve had on the backburner for years :D 

36 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I’m often surprised at the price of 2nd hand tellies, still asking a lot of cash for very old TFT/LCD/LED, not what i’d call cheap at all. In fact even ones with broken screens can be £60-£100.

But do they sell at that sort of price?

From what I can gather there are two manufacturers of 12V TVs that are worth considering, Avtex and Cello. What I do appreciate is that on the waterways TV reception varies and that you loose some channels or get pixilation. Weather conditions, type of aerial, its height and the direction it is pointing in are all factors in determining the quality of pictures and channel reception.

However, at home where we live I have found that some TVs handle poor reception better than others and the design and performance of the front end (amplifier) of the TV is critical. So my question is, and I do not know the answer, which 12V TV handles poor reception better than the others?

On 16/03/2023 at 10:57, JoeC said:

I know you don't want Avtex but this may be useful for somebody else.

I bought an Avtex smart TV (W249TS) and be warned. You CANNOT get catchup on channel 4 nor C5. Nor watch ITV 'live' but I understand this is the case for a lot of smart TV's unless you have a Samsung who do.  I ended up buying a Firestick.

Picture quality is good though and sound is reasonable for a small place like a boat.

And another thing with it ... poor internet capabilities.

I have my Avtex (brand new model introduced early 2022) cabled into the router - the same router that I use with a three year old iPad via wifi. There are times when the TV struggles with internet via catchup yet the iPad works perfectly. Even the Firestick connected to the TV generally gets better internet reception than the TV.

Purchase made ;)

I have bought the following.

RCA RB22HT5A 12 Volt 22" inch FHD TV,  https://amzn.eu/d/2MwawY4

And 

MAJORITY Bowfell Bluetooth Sound bar https://amzn.eu/d/gZ5ZQyS

Sound is ok for the size of the soundbar and the TV picture is viewable for 160 degrees horizontally and in the vertical plane it's good unless you are standing up above it.

Both units are 12v with 230-12 adapters and the TV comes with a 12v cable as well.

I will be fitting two voltage stabilizers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385220795026?

to make sure voltage stays at 12v although this is not necessary for the TV I think it's prudent to do both.

Smart TV stuff will be done by ROKU 😎

Now just got to get all the bits together and fit them in the caravan.

Anybody want a Samsung 19" HD ready TV, Toshiba Soundbar with a wireless Sub bass and a ROKU to do the smart stuff. All cables Inc  as a ready to go system 😉

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Purchase made ;)

I have bought the following.

RCA RB22HT5A 12 Volt 22" inch FHD TV,  https://amzn.eu/d/2MwawY4

And 

MAJORITY Bowfell Bluetooth Sound bar https://amzn.eu/d/gZ5ZQyS

Sound is ok for the size of the soundbar and the TV picture is viewable for 160 degrees horizontally and in the vertical plane it's good unless you are standing up above it.

Both units are 12v with 230-12 adapters and the TV comes with a 12v cable as well.

I will be fitting two voltage stabilizers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385220795026?

to make sure voltage stays at 12v although this is not necessary for the TV I think it's prudent to do both.

Smart TV stuff will be done by ROKU 😎

Now just got to get all the bits together and fit them in the caravan.

Anybody want a Samsung 19" HD ready TV, Toshiba Soundbar with a wireless Sub bass and a ROKU to do the smart stuff. All cables Inc  as a ready to go system 😉

Did you ever consider the Roku that has a self contained soundbar?  we use this at home and it gives great sound......

16 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Did you ever consider the Roku that has a self contained soundbar?  we use this at home and it gives great sound......

Looked at much stuff the problem with the sound bar is it needs to be shorter than the TV is wide not many fitted that brief.

Plus I have a surfeit of ROKU already and that's without counting the surfeit of Chromecast 😱

58 minutes ago, Bob Chamberlain said:

I thought I'd read decent reports (mostly from caravaners) on the ones that Aldi sell?  The usual sound quality issues but that's no different to most cheap telly's etc.  

All TVs have crap sound quality nowadays.

They are too thin to have decent speakers in them.

It's about finding a happy medium.

42 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

All TVs have crap sound quality nowadays.

They are too thin to have decent speakers in them.

It's about finding a happy medium.

I think sound-reproduction technology has moved on since paper-cone-on-electromagnet days.

Edited by Machpoint005
For accuracy in definition