12v TV

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Looking at getting a 12v 22/24" TV 

Don't need anything flash, don't need smart TV as we have a surfeit of ROKU.

Needs to be low current, HD, have an HDMI in and an optical audio out.

I know Avtex are the best but not at that price.

I am looking at RCA 12v TV like this

https://amzn.eu/d/3VBo6qk

Any other recommendations?  

36 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Looking at getting a 12v 22/24" TV 

Don't need anything flash, don't need smart TV as we have a surfeit of ROKU.

Needs to be low current, HD, have an HDMI in and an optical audio out.

I know Avtex are the best but not at that price.

I am looking at RCA 12v TV like this

https://amzn.eu/d/3VBo6qk

Any other recommendations?  

These "Cello" brand ones seem to be very popular for boaters.

We've had one for years.

HERE

24 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

These "Cello" brand ones seem to be very popular for boaters.

We've had one for years.

HERE

Apart from the crap sound. I’ve had to add a sound box to make it acceptable to mine. Also it’s the model with the built in lithium battery which is handy so you can take it outside and watch the tennis while having a bbq 🤪🤪

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

The viewing angle on the Cello is crap.

Avtex are expensive but they are expensive for a reason!

Avtex underneath are LG televisions, as the dealer said when I collected the van if they break Avtex will collect from you and return one within 48hrs. Its the service you pay for. But at £400+ thats too much for me.

Having measured the space I will have to go for a 22" not a 24".

The search continues.

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Avtex underneath are LG televisions, as the dealer said when I collected the van if they break Avtex will collect from you and return one within 48hrs. Its the service you pay for. But at £400+ thats too much for me.

Having measured the space I will have to go for a 22" not a 24".

The search continues.

I think you will struggle, 12v TV's have become a very niche market and Avtex are regarded as the market leaders, for a reason.

We dont have one as we rarely are off grid, we jusy use an Argos special Hitachi, but if I was buying a 12v it would be Avtex. 

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The viewing angle on the Cello is crap.

Avtex are expensive but they are expensive for a reason!

Viewing angles are crucial using a TV in a caravan or motorhome. We had a cheapo Alba in our last caravan and it was simply impossible to get in a position that we could view a decent picture when in bed.

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

I think you will struggle, 12v TV's have become a very niche market and Avtex are regarded as the market leaders, for a reason.

We dont have one as we rarely are off grid, we jusy use an Argos special Hitachi, but if I was buying a 12v it would be Avtex. 

Viewing angles are crucial using a TV in a caravan or motorhome. We had a cheapo Alba in our last caravan and it was simply impossible to get in a position that we could view a decent picture when in bed.

Amazon have a fair selection surprisingly.

I'm going to order the RCA one its full HD and has the ins and outs I need. If its no good it goes back for a refund.

Was that you getting in a position in bed or getting the TV in the correct position ;)

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Was that you getting in a position in bed or getting the TV in the correct position ;)

It couldnt be angled so that when both were watching it one of us didnt have swathes of dark blue.

We gave it away.

We had a Cello. We had a 12v sound system. A cheapy one. It was fine. The telly broke.

We bought a AVTEX. As with many small tellys the sound quality was poor. We bought a sound bar from Curry’s. It plugs into the telly. (USB). Very happy with it,

3 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

I purchased a 12v Unispectra TV a while back, for the money its great.

That is another one from Amazon if the RCA one is not good I will give that a try.

its also 1080 which many if the smaller ones are not.

The issue with 12v tv's is they need to be able to withstand the ruff and tumble of being used in boats/caravans/motorhomes.

Cheapos may not be up to that.

Just now, Loddon said:

That goes for any TV not just 12v

Ok ive offered my advice, goodnight, sorry you didnt wish to listen, good luck with your choice.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

We have one of these which we use with our USB soundbar and Roku (the inbuilt interface is horrible!)

Ferguson F2420RTS -12 Volt 24 inch Smart 12-volt LED TV with streaming apps and catch up TV built-in | Made in the UK, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

We have a surfeit of ROKU devices and we  are used to the Roku interface, they just work! Much of the time we have got into the habit of  watching live TV via the Roku as the TV signal in the marina is non existent. Does need a good internet connection.

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

We have one of these which we use with our USB soundbar and Roku (the inbuilt interface is horrible!)

Ferguson F2420RTS -12 Volt 24 inch Smart 12-volt LED TV with streaming apps and catch up TV built-in | Made in the UK, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Same company as cello I believe. 

• Greenie 1

I know you don't want Avtex but this may be useful for somebody else.

I bought an Avtex smart TV (W249TS) and be warned. You CANNOT get catchup on channel 4 nor C5. Nor watch ITV 'live' but I understand this is the case for a lot of smart TV's unless you have a Samsung who do.  I ended up buying a Firestick.

Picture quality is good though and sound is reasonable for a small place like a boat.

1 hour ago, Bee said:

I'm sure you've thought of this but there are dead cheap inverters on E Bay and plenty of cheap 240v tellys.

I have, and I already have a 230v TV* that would work, it has done in the boat for years, however I only have one battery to run everything and no room for more so I am looking at the most efficient way of doing it. 12v>230v>12/19**v is not efficient.  

* TV and soundbar draw about 5amps at 12v through my victron inverter.

**or whatever the internal TV voltage is.

I might add  that most of the places we stop at present have EHU so its only so I can get away from being on  EHU

Have you checked Google? Cello do 12v tvs with digital audio outputs. 

One example on Amazon with 3 hdmis and digital audio output. 

Cello C2420G 24” 240v / 12v Traveller Smart Android TV with Freeview Play, Google Assistant, Google Chromecast, 3 x HDMI and 2 x USB | Made in the UK 2022 model https://amzn.eu/d/3miMJ9Q

8 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Have you checked Google? Cello do 12v tvs with digital audio outputs. 

One example on Amazon with 3 hdmis and digital audio output. 

Cello C2420G 24” 240v / 12v Traveller Smart Android TV with Freeview Play, Google Assistant, Google Chromecast, 3 x HDMI and 2 x USB | Made in the UK 2022 model https://amzn.eu/d/3miMJ9Q

I'm not sure if the digital audio output is the same as the optical audio output in the original question. 

Edited by Ianws
Correction

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

however I only have one battery to run everything and no room for more

In which case how about getting a LiFePO4 battery to replace one of you LA leisures? 

That way you'll spend so much time managing it you won't be needing a telly. 

7 hours ago, MtB said:

In which case how about getting a LiFePO4 battery to replace one of you LA leisures? 

That way you'll spend so much time managing it you won't be needing a telly. 

There is only one battery space  and the battery in it is brand new.

It's in the Land Butty not the boat so no room for more.

I spend too much time managing the solar/off peak charging on the house so haven't got the time for another system🥱

For @Ianws

I'm afraid that Digital Audio out is not the same as Optical Audio out ☹️

Edited by Loddon