Electric toothbrush

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

At home we use electric toothbrush ( battery operated ). In the past we have tried to charge one on the boat on 240 supply and it stopped working. I recently contacted the toothbrush manufacturer who said they cannot be charged via battery as per the boat. It some how damages the toothbrush.

Is anyone using a battery operated toothbrush on there boat and charging it off the batteries?

If so what is the make and model?

Thanks 

We use Braun Oral B electric tooth brushes and we charge them on the boats 240 power supply when we are cruising and have the invertor running ( we tend to just have the invertor on when we need 240 for something) . We have been doing this for years with no problems. 

Sounds like the usual incompatibility between some inverter 240V output waveforms and some electronic appliances. Some items work together, some don't, although the chances of success are higher if you have a PSW inverter.

Was your toothbrush permanently damaged, or is it still working OK at home?

One alternative is to use an electric toothbrush powered by disposable batteries.

27 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Sounds like the usual incompatibility between some inverter 240V output waveforms and some electronic appliances. Some items work together, some don't, although the chances of success are higher if you have a PSW inverter.

One alternative is to use an electric toothbrush powered by disposable batteries.

Exactly this ^^^^^

It was well known that so called modified sine wave inverters had a habit of destroying such things, and I would not be confident that a "no name" far eastern pure sine wave inverter would avoid the issue.

If the OP has a pure sine wave inverter, the load from the toothbrush may well not be high enough to make it turn on, especially if it still works at home.

44 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But the how do you recharge those?

With another charger, which doesn't have to be on the boat, though my inverter so far plays nice with everything. Plus the brush can run weeks on one set of rechargeable AA's. The brushes that sit on a charger when not in use have less capacity and so really need to work with the inverter.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

The toothbrush wouldn't work even at home. Sent it back to the manufacturer and they replaced it free of charge. Didn't tell them charged it on a boat. 

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What I do is use one of these, but install rechargeable AA nickel metal hydride batteries.

Hi Jen. 

Can you please post a link to the toothbrush that you are using?

Thanks 

11 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Can't I'm afraid. Made by oral-b/braun, but no model numbers on it. Their web site is too hard to navigate and directs you to the most expensive, magic pixie dust powered ones all the time, not the cheap replaceable battery brushes.

1 hour ago, Steve Manc said:

The toothbrush wouldn't work even at home. Sent it back to the manufacturer and they replaced it free of charge. Didn't tell them charged it on a boat. 

Hi Jen. 

Thanks 

Here is one from Boots

image.thumb.png.0f1d2aaa2377dcef561cba161c3e1bbb.png

One from Amazon

image.thumb.png.f8c855517dd66c014fa4291db97148d6.png

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have charged mine for the past 10 years plus the grand kids tooth brushes when they come on board but I do have a Mastervolt True Sine invertor, what is generating your AC?
This could be your way out if your AC is poor 

image.thumb.png.c3388ab0837e1562153043324a2fb257.png

Having destroyed several toothbrushes on different (cheapo) inverters this is what I use now too. If the inverters a good un I use my mains phone charger and if not I use my 12v phone charger.

Never had a problem since.

Edited by PaulJ

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Ours work for weeks after charging and we don't need to put them back on the charger after every use..

Ditto. Cheap job from ALDI/Lidl can’t Rembrandts which. Still going strong after 7 years. Wish I could say the same about the teeth 😬😬

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

😃call me old fashioned ..but why ?

why an electric tuffbrush?

why? 🤷‍♀️

Generally regarded as better for cleaning ones teeth.