The National Bargee Travellers Association has slammed plans to raise licence fees on canals like the Kennet and Avon

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Red number plates if boat is en route to a brokerage. 

Visitor licence ?

What other options ?

All listed in the 1995 Act.

Examples :

Going for a BSSC

Going for repair

Going to be scrapped 

etc etc

So maybe he is heading off C&RT waters to get work done ................................

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

They stopped the option of taking out a short term licence from an otherwise unlicensed boat kept in a marina. Whether this applies for a marina A - marina B journey, I don't know.

Trade plates have many restrictions and are not obtainable except by businesses who meet the criteria and need them.

What are the exemptions?

Already answered above.

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

They stopped the option of taking out a short term licence from an otherwise unlicensed boat kept in a marina. Whether this applies for a marina A - marina B journey, I don't know.

Trade plates have many restrictions and are not obtainable except by businesses who meet the criteria and need them.

What are the exemptions?

Already answered above.

I find it always pays to be au-fait with the laws, they work 'both ways'.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Examples :

Going for a BSSC

Going for repair

Going to be scrapped 

etc etc

So maybe he is heading off C&RT waters to get work done ................................

Can you copy & paste it for me? Thanks.

There must be some way to prove this is what you are doing.

I think also the CRT may well take the view that it is not worth pursuing someone for licensing if the boat is being taken off their water in an expeditious manner.

Bye bye rather than pay pay. 

52 minutes ago, IanD said:

Since like the majority of boaters I'll have a narrowboat with a home mooring, I don't expect to get rogered -- or to run away to avoid coughing up... 😉

Typical narly response to someone who disagrees with the forum GS.

With the technology that is available these days, it would be relatively easy to fit a ‘box’ th boats who claim cc status. Charge all a cc license at the higher rate, then refund back to same rate as home moorers for those who genuinely cc. This could also be programmed so that those who take a winter mooring receive the benefit of that ie they are not penalised for non movement during the winter mooring period they purchased.

5 minutes ago, Kiwidad said:

With the technology that is available these days, it would be relatively easy to fit a ‘box’ th boats who claim cc status. Charge all a cc license at the higher rate, then refund back to same rate as home moorers for those who genuinely cc. This could also be programmed so that those who take a winter mooring receive the benefit of that ie they are not penalised for non movement during the winter mooring period they purchased.

Its done with car insurance, in a vaguely similar way. Its actually quite a good idea. Of course, they could leave the option to NOT have a black box fitted, and pay the "full fat" CC licence rate, whatever that turns out to be. The technology and the working practices are there - in the trucking repair industry, there surrounds strict regulation on fitment of tachos and speed limiters.

Edited by Paul C
  • Greenie 1

I think younger people getting into boating will be happy to use apps on their phones for this sort of thing. Maybe there aren't any youngsters getting enthusiastic about boating.

One can hope. 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Since like the majority of boaters I'll have a narrowboat with a home mooring, I don't expect to get rogered -- or to run away to avoid coughing up... 😉

But you might, I however decided I can't feed the waste of money CRT anymore, it won't get better only worse with ever increasing rises in costs for boaters

42 minutes ago, peterboat said:

But you might, I however decided I can't feed the waste of money CRT anymore, it won't get better only worse with ever increasing rises in costs for boaters

You need to remember MrD's wealth is something he regularly drops (casually) into forum discussions so he obviously doesnt feel he is being 'rogered' by a significant hike in licence costs.

Its actually pretty repugnent when he suggests somebody making a sound financial decision that works for them is 'running away'.

But we can expect nothing less really.

He has form for it.

Edited by M_JG

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

May I enquire where you will be taking your boats to escape the CRT license fee in future? 

The scrap yard presumably? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

May I enquire where you will be taking your boats to escape the CRT license fee in future? 

The scrap yard presumably? 

Mike when I go I will send you pictures, you can enjoy yourself guessing 

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Translation:

"I can't actually find anywhere to keep my boats for less than CRT will be charging"

Edited by MtB
Finesse the point.
  • Haha 1

Just now, peterboat said:

Boat 

Good point. Another 'wealthy' forum member who obviously can afford any increase,

Ever met a poor plumber (or vet) ? No me niether. 

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Examples :

Going for a BSSC

Going for repair

Going to be scrapped 

etc etc

Already answered above.

Already answered above.

I find it always pays to be au-fait with the laws, they work 'both ways'.

Unfortunately I overlooked pedant's corner 🙄

14 hours ago, Paul C said:

Interestingly I have passed the same boat on the same mooring for several years displaying trade plates

12 hours ago, peterboat said:

Hmm, moving from a comfy setup with a cheap mooring, garden and compost heaps (for composting toilet) and cheap Northern beer and food (in 'spoons and elsewhere) and a good public transport system (keen on free trams and buses) to somewhere which is likely to be in the middle of nowhere with none of these -- and no license fee, but probably more expensive moorings since it's not Rotherham. Doesn't sound like a bargain to me... 😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IanD said:

Hmm, moving from a comfy setup with a cheap mooring, garden and compost heaps (for composting toilet) and cheap Northern beer and food (in 'spoons and elsewhere) and a good public transport system (keen on free trams and buses) to somewhere which is likely to be in the middle of nowhere with none of these -- and no license fee, but probably more expensive moorings since it's not Rotherham. Doesn't sound like a bargain to me... 😉

Nicked from the other canal forum 

image.png.0cac9e27182756cdd99575538dd0276e.png

Edited by ditchcrawler