The National Bargee Travellers Association has slammed plans to raise licence fees on canals like the Kennet and Avon

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Contract law is challengeable with a "reasonableness" test. Until it is challenged (and that is successful), it would stand as a term. If I had a mooring contract with unreasonable terms, I would read the T&Cs and negotiate with them before signing it. In fact - interesting story - I actually did that once. I was about to sign a mooring contract, and I read through it, only to find a term which prevented repairs/working on the boat on the mooring. I asked about it and they said "oh that's just a standard thing the company puts in, because we have a workshop here". I crossed it out, signed it and handed it back. The marina manager signed his part and that issue became a non-issue in about 15 secs.

Repairing a boat in a marina is one thing, but you go and count how few marinas there are that could offer an alternative to an NAA marina. Slim pickings.

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I wonder why. Not difficult to understand, when so many people are convinced that the marina T&Cs are actually law, pertaining to the legal requirement of a licence.

Maybe because most people think it is a reasonable to have a licence as a  condition for mooring in the marina.

• Greenie 1

If there really are large numbers of people who never want to use the boat for moving then there must be a market for disconnected lakes.

I think that people do secretly rather like the fact there is a canal system close at hand and this informs their original decision to keep a mooring in the marina.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Repairing a boat in a marina is one thing, but you go and count how few marinas there are that could offer an alternative to an NAA marina. Slim pickings.

Do your own research!!! If you want a marina to stay but never use the canal on.

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

The fall under contract law, which is civil law. 

Are you a Freeman of the Land? (FO) Your understanding of law is demonstrably poor. We've been through the above before but you don't seem to have comprehended it. Is someone else coaching you on how & where law applies?

What you need to do is - make everywhere a non-private domain. That way, every law could apply to everywhere.

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

What is a "non-private domain" in connection with the law? It is a term I have not heard (but that sounds like something a Freeman of the Land might use).

It's where you say to me - You may enter my house, and treat is as your own. 

Edited by Higgs

4 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It's a bizarre question.

But to be honest, the last few pages of your contribution to this thread has been bizarre, because its all been covered before, in detail. There is nothing new, nothing unanswered which you have raised. You have no new angle or insight. You are being repetitive. If I post repeatedly, will you report me for it? Are you a Freeman of the Land?

• Greenie 2

Just now, Paul C said:

But to be honest, the last few pages of your contribution to this thread has been bizarre, because its all been covered before, in detail. There is nothing new, nothing unanswered which you have raised. You have no new angle or insight. You are being repetitive. If I post repeatedly, will you report me for it? Are you a Freeman of the Land?

Perhaps you could carry the conversation on with an educated amoeba? I have things to do.

I remember going south from Chester once and some one yelled at me from the towpath in a questioning manner, so I told him the time. I realised five minutes later he was actually informing me the next lock was shut.

That's what a conversation with Higgs is like.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

There is an argument for no land to be privately owned but I think personal living space needs to be private or rather obvious problems will occur. 

It’s a simple question just a yes or no will do. Are you a freeman of the land? 

So the answer is No. 

Just now, Orwellian said:

If this issue is going to continue can we use the correct term. It's Freeman on the Land.

I did this correction earlier and it was pointed out that both terms can be used with the same meaning. of or on. 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

So the answer is No. 

I did this correction earlier and it was pointed out that both terms can be used with the same meaning. of or on. 

Well that’s cleared that up then. Apparently they are worse than free masons. 

7 hours ago, Orwellian said:

If this issue is going to continue can we use the correct term. It's Freeman on the Land.

No. Are you a freeman on the land?