The National Bargee Travellers Association has slammed plans to raise licence fees on canals like the Kennet and Avon

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

It's never a great idea to open links in posts to sites one knows nothing about.

So I for one here have only read what you cut and paste, not the links.

Ftfy

• Greenie 1

That's very interesting, David, thank you.

I'm not sure about "increased rainfall intensity" though. According to the internet, 2012 waqs the wettest year this century, so it has actually decreased since then.

Incidentally, the same chart shows 2010 as being the century's driest year, though I don't remember it as being particularly parched.

I tend not to open links when it's clear that it's to a local news paper or the Mirror/Sun as the click bait and ads. bring my tablet down to a crawl.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I note that, despite your apparent expertise, you haven't given us the Easter forecast yet. Come on, step lively now.

You appear to be making the fundamental mistake of thinking 'weather' is the same as 'climate'.

It isn't.

https://tinyurl.com/y6rwsfj7

Edited by M_JG

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's very interesting, David, thank you.

I'm not sure about "increased rainfall intensity" though. According to the internet, 2012 waqs the wettest year this century, so it has actually decreased since then.

Incidentally, the same chart shows 2010 as being the century's driest year, though I don't remember it as being particularly parched.

Rainfall intensity refers to the amount of rain falling in a short period of time (minutes and hours). It is that which matters for river heights and the like, not the total annual rainfall.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I tend not to open links when it's clear that it's to a local news paper or the Mirror/Sun as the click bait and ads. bring my tablet down to a crawl.

You appear to be making the fundamental mistake of thinking 'weather' is the same as 'climate'.

It isn't.

They are, though, closely related.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Rainfall intensity refers to the amount of rain falling in a short period of time (minutes and hours). It is that which matters for river heights and the like, not the total annual rainfall.

So, the annual rainfall in a particular area doesn't affect the amount of water in its rivers? I find that hard to believe.

Just now, Athy said:

They are, though, closely related.

Of course. Cumulatively over a period of time weather dictates climate.

The science is indicating that short term extreme 'weather' events (like last summer here) are increasing in frequency due to changes in the overall 'climate'.

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

The science is indicating that short term extreme 'weather' events (like last summer here) are increasing in frequency due to changes in the overall 'climate'.

Fairy nuff.

While last summer was warm and dry, with a few very hot days, as it exceptionally so? The best summer I can remember was that of 1976, which was gorgeous and seemed to go on for ever; I'm unsure if 2022 beat it.

I also remember the temperature reaching 100F one day in the early 2000s. That probably was an extreme weather event, as I don't recall that summer being exceptional in other ways.

21 minutes ago, M_JG said:

It isn't.

https://tinyurl.com/y6rwsfj7

I don't click on shortened URLs without first checking through a service such as https://checkshorturl.com/

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Fairy nuff.

While last summer was warm and dry, with a few very hot days, as it exceptionally so? The best summer I can remember was that of 1976, which was gorgeous and seemed to go on for ever; I'm unsure if 2022 beat it.

I also remember the temperature reaching 100F one day in the early 2000s. That probably was an extreme weather event, as I don't recall that summer being exceptional in other ways.

Summer 2022 brought us the joint highest temp. on record for England.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2022/joint-hottest-summer-on-record-for-england

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I don't click on shortened URLs without first checking through a service such as https://checkshorturl.com/

OK - but I hate to clog up a post with an overly lengthy URL.

Edited by M_JG

17 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Of course. Cumulatively over a period of time weather dictates climate.

I really liked last summer. If we get another one of those I won't be moaning ! 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, M_JG said:

What surprised me, reading that, wasn that the other joint hottest year was 2018. 1976  was drier, but evidently not as hoty.

Knowing our British weather, it's probably too much to hope for more of the same this year - so far, temperatures have probably been below average.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Hmm.

So, droughts, storms and heavy rain are recent inventions?

I rather think that our canals were built to withstand such conditions.

Hmm sarcasm is never a good argument-winner. No droughts, storms and heavy rain are not recent inventions. However droughts, storms and heavy rain are all relative terms. A drought is a period without rainfall. How long is not defined. A storm is a period of very strong winds. The maximum strength of which is not defined. Heavy rainfall is a period of prolonged heavy rain, the maximum amount of water falling out of the sky per hour and overall duration is not defined.

So as you imply through sarcasm, these are not new concepts. However, the severity and frequency of these events is increasing due to climate change.

The climate is a chaotic system which is why accurate weather prediction still evades us despite use of supercomputer models. Like any chaotic system, a small perturbation can have enormous repercussions.

Unless of course one is a climate change denier, in which case I would lump you into the same group as those who vehemently believe in their imaginary friend (god) or even those who think Scottish Independence would be a good thing. Strong beliefs firmly and honestly held, that have a complete absence of any factual basis. Also known as irrationality. Humans are unfortunately very good at that. 

• Greenie 4

Just now, Athy said:

What surprised me, reading that, wasn that the other joint hottest year was 2018. 1976  was drier, but evidently not as hoty.

Hoty. Presumably pronounced as Holy. We had a donkey called that many yars ago. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I really liked last summer. If we get another one of those I won't be moaning ! 

Ditto - bearing in mind the frequency with which we used the hose to water the garden last year, I'm pleased that we haven't got a water meter.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, the annual rainfall in a particular area doesn't affect the amount of water in its rivers? I find that hard to believe.

Rain which falls in the upper catchment of a river basin and runs directly into streams and rivers will be in the sea a few days later. But some of that rain soaks into the ground, and finds its way to springs and streams over a longer timescale. So in dry period it is largely water from the ground which makes up a river's flow. But any periods of rainfall result in rapid increases in the flow and height of rivers. And it is that maximum height that causes flooding and all the associated damage.

Better explained in this graph

hydrograph.jpg

More at https://slowtheflow.net/the-science/

3 hours ago, Higgs said:

Any licence increase that differentiates between those with and those without a home mooring is going to set one group against another. There's no sensible logic to singling one group out for an increase for the use of the towpath. 

Home moorers do already pay more than CC's, End of garden fees, C&RT official towpath moorings, Network access agreement (part of marina fees)  all are on top of the basic licence fee.

Bod

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Home moorers do already pay more than CC's, End of garden fees, C&RT official towpath moorings, Network access agreement (part of marina fees)  all are on top of the basic licence fee.

Bod

I know, and 9% of mooring, on top of licence fee. Paid it for years. But no home moorer pays to moor on the towpath in any different way to any licence payer. 

Edited by Higgs

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I know, and 9% of mooring, on top of licence fee. Paid it for years. But no home moorer pays to moor on the towpath. 

What? The CRT rent out hundreds of home moorings on the towpaths. 

They are all over the place. Have you never noticed them?

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

What? The CRT rent out hundreds of home moorings on the towpaths. 

And that is the place the moorer pays for. No other place. 

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

They are all over the place. Have you never noticed them?

What's your point. I know they're all over the place. 

You said no home moorer pays to moor on the towpath. 

I must have misunderstood your point.

It seems to me that if the CRT are allowed to charge people to tie a boat to the towpath then they are allowed to charge people to tie a boat to the towpath.

I don't know the history of how long term towpath moorings happened but they are on the towpath.