I'm a 34-year-old who lives on a boat in the canals of England. It was the least expensive way to buy a home

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I Live on a Boat in England to Save Money — and for the Adventure (businessinsider.com)

Living on a boat was an absolute accident.

In 2017, while I was living in Australia, I'd been in contact with these two American brothers and they'd been living on a sailboat traveling the world for the past 10 years creating content and putting it out there. They would occasionally look for a crew and they asked me if I'd like to sail with them from South Africa to Brazil. I agreed.

I thought, "I could do that, I'm going to live on a boat." I bought a hurricane-destroyed sailboat in the Caribbean with my bank overdraft. I think it came to £8,000 and I only had half of it so I had to sell everything I owned. I moved to the Caribbean, renovated this boat, and adopted a street dog who hated sailing. 

I managed to renovate the boat to a certain point to resell her, cut my losses, returned to England, and then fell in love with canal boats. I bought a shell of a boat for £3,800, once again using my bank overdraft, and renovated her for two years and then lived on her for a year and sold her for £22,500.

I spent a lot of money on her. I made a lot of mistakes with some cowboy builders, so really the money that I made out of her is probably the money that I put into her renovation and the mistakes.

None of the money was wasted, it still went back into my pocket and went towards what is now a beautiful 70-foot, 1920s boat. Now I've got a piece of canal history. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

The OP, ask him why I call him that.

I don't think I shall.

But I will ask you not to refer to other members in those terms, please, unless of course it's a joke.

31 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

What he posted, then deleted, wasn’t a joke, nor was it true, therefore it was libellous.

That's a non sequitur and, since this alleged post has been deleted, it doesn't exist and therefore there is no case to answer.

I will ask you for a second time to refrain from such inflammatory posting.

I think she is just a typical young boater who wants to be known on social media, there’s lots out there who lead a different life to what they portray on the internet. Just what the young kids chase.

Edited by PD1964

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/03/2023 at 10:29, Athy said:

I don't think I shall.

But I will ask you not to refer to other members in those terms, please, unless of course it's a joke.

I think we know who's a joke, and I came late to the thread :)

On 10/03/2023 at 10:29, Athy said:

I don't think I shall.

Ooo Sir, SIR,

Does that mean we may be as libellous as we like on here, provided later we claim it was a joke?

Excellent.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Ooo Sir, SIR,

Does that mean we may be as libellous as we like on here, provided later we claim it was a joke?

Excellent.

Humour is not yet banned on CWDF. So make hay while the sun shines, sunshine.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think we know who's a joke, and I came late to the thread :)

Aye, fifteen days late, Mrs. Lightning.

• Happy 1