Site Performance - 9th March

Featured Posts

It appears that currently the site is experiencing some technical issues as listed below.

- View New Content page is not finding content, hence appears empty.

- Posting a new topic or replying to and existing topic is taking a long time.

- Possibility following a short outage of the site at around 9.45 this morning.

Please bear with us and we will resolve it as soon as possible.

Thanks

Daniel

23 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

On the subject of the troubles the site just had, can anyone help?

I have been able to access cwdf through my  mobile, but still unable to do so on my I Pad.

Moi aussi. Fine through desktop (firefox), but on Ipad eventually comes up with error "FetchEven.repondWith received an error: Returned response is null."

I've had similar, working on phone but problematic on tablet. I had over ridden DNS on my tablet so reverted to DHCP supplied DNS and it worked for a while but then stopped again, switched back to using Google DNS and same worked for a bit but then started timing out again.  Not got a 100% fix yet.

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

I have been able to access cwdf through my  mobile, but still unable to do so on my I Pad.

Would work on my phone if I had WiFi enabled and mobile data switched off, but not the other way round. I guess the different ISPs involved were using different DNS servers, and one had updated and one hadn't.

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

Yes, there will be a bit of this as the DNS servers around the world all update at different times.

Both in reverting to the holding page when the domain expired, and coming back to the forum servers when we renewed half a day later. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Daniel 

• Greenie 2

17 hours ago, DHutch said:

It appears the domain name had failed to auto renew and expired again.

Now renewed for the next 7 years until 08/03/2031

May take a moment to propagate through. 

Had a similar experience with two long registered domains belonging to a family member that were set to auto-renew end of last month. The money was taken but they said they didn't get it so names didn't renew. Cue two days of customer service emails to the registrar with PayPal reference id etc before they acknowledged that their systems had messed up and they renewed it. Grrrrr. Technology. (was 123 not the same registrar as CWDF use but similar issue).

PS: The work yourself and the admins put in is much appreciated. Not something any of you need to be dealing with on chilly weekday mornings.

17 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

I told you - stop apologising! An unpaid volunteer (which may not have been you) missed a renewal - unless you are up at 00:05 every night (local time, which may not be UK) thinking "I wonder if it's still working", these things happen. And a DNS renewal also takes time to percolate through the system, that's how it works.

Now, thanks for keeping the site up 99.98 percent of the time.

Seconded

• Greenie 1

Just now, matty40s said:

I joined a caravan forum but got banned

Unsurprising - if it was true and it was Caravan Talk I would say about 50% of the active posters on here would do. 

The site owner and the admin/mods. are a lot more tolerant on here than there, particularly of any disagreement or comment on how the site is run.

18 hours ago, matty40s said:

I joined a caravan forum but got banned

At least you got on, a friend has been trying to get into traction talk forum since November but still it’s saying they have to donate to get access. The donate page advises they need to donate to gain access 😂

Messaging the email hasn’t gotten any response for 4 months either apparently. Though steam engines travel slowly they are usually faster than narrowboats so he can’t understand it. 🤣

On 10/03/2023 at 13:45, M_JG said:

Unsurprising - if it was true and it was Caravan Talk I would say about 50% of the active posters on here would do. 

You've been banned too then Martin? 

On 11/03/2023 at 08:05, Stroudwater1 said:

At least you got on, a friend has been trying to get into traction talk forum since November but still it’s saying they have to donate to get access. The donate page advises they need to donate to gain access.

Lovely! Sounds a bit like setting up a domain registration where the contact email address is an email address connected to that domain!

2 hours ago, DHutch said:

You've been banned too then Martin?

Correct.

There is a mod on there who enjoyed the 'power' a little too much and would engage in arguments with folks until they reacted and he would ban you.

I think hes still on there.

I think my disagreement with him was something to do with solar charging.

He was particularly narcissistic.