Watercraft Ltd Worcester - Boat builder

DHutch

Featured Posts

Searching the canal plan boat list but builder for "water craft" gives 27 records, predominantly narrowboats, including EmilyAnne.

Obviously there may have bene other builders using the same name, or boats built by this builder listed with slightly different details, but there are none listed as 'watercraft' or 'water craft ltd' so it appears broadly consistent data.

The list gives boat names, dimensions, registration number (from which you could work out the approx. date or registration) but not location or obviously and contact details, photos, etc.

https://canalplan.uk/boats/boats.php

On 13/03/2023 at 17:47, Stroudwater1 said:

I dont believe anyone missed your interesting and useful post, it seems that there have been various boatbuilders and related works in Diglis over a relatively short time, despite Diglis basin being only able to accommodate a fairly small area for boat builders/ works. It would be useful for the OP to know when Watercraft started and finished and whether they took over their area from others such as Bryan Jones, it may interest the OP and others coming back to this at a later date perhaps. Its also stimulated some pictures which has been really interesting to see from the 60s. 

Pinders and Grist Mill  current structures seem to figure later. I was always under the impression that the dry dock was owned by BWB in the 80s but that may well be incorrect.   

The dry dock was owned and run by BW up until about 1990. I used it in 1987 and again I think in 1988, I feel sure that the next time I went to book it it was under the management of Pinders. The day to day management under BW at that time was carried out by Roger Hatchard. Stourport was also a BW dry dock which was subsequently leased out to a third party.

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...

Article in the Worcester new about the Spry

The Spry should return to Worcester says boat enthusiast | Worcester News

The other reconstruction was of a Wyche barge for the Queens Golden jubilee, was on the River Wye for some time where is it now

These boats should be on the water and seen as they used to be used on the river.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, max's son said:

(snipped)

These boats should be on the water and seen as they used to be used on the river.

In the case of SPRY, I disagree. What "use" would that be? Certainly not carrying.

Where she is now, she is in prime condition in a dedicated enclosed building with access to the public to view both inside and the entire hull shape from ground level, the latter which will never be seen if in the water. Plus there is the issue of being open to the elements afloat, and all the required extra maintenance that goes with keeping a wooden craft afloat - who pays for that? It's one of a kind, where it is now is possibly the best place for it. The romantic dreams of seeing them sailing? It goes with the possible cost of losing such craft forever simply due to maintenance costs and possible neglect - with the possibility it may end up on the bank again, seeking funds to restore and build a permanent covered housing.

At Blists Hill, SPRY is one of a whole range of exhibits that can be enjoyed by the general public from a traditional Fish & Chip shop, candlemakers, horse bus, chemist, ironworks and more. Afloat, it may seem just another old barge in need of perpetual ritual docking - away from the public eye.

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 1