First-of-its-kind footbridge rolls, tilts, and folds to let boats pass

Featured Posts

First-of-its-kind footbridge rolls, tilts, and folds to let boats pass (interestingengineering.com)

In what looks like a fine engineering spectacle, a 180-degree rolling bridge makes way for boats to pass underneath. First-of-its-kind, the hand-powered opening footbridge is central to reactivating East London's Cody Dock, a huge ex-industrial dock located on the bank of the Lea river overlooking Canning Town, East London.

According to a release, since its decommissioning in the 80s, the dock was largely forgotten. It was rediscovered in 2009 and taken on by Gasworks Dock Partnership, who spent 12 years clearing, decontaminating, and restoring this historic dock.

However, reopening the dock to Lea's tidal waters for boats to pass through underneath was essential. This required the removal of a dam and the introduction of an opening footbridge.

For this, architectural designer Thomas Randall-Page sought Simon Myers of Gasworks Dock Partnership, who had planned a "traditional bascule bridge" for the site. Randall-Page proposed a new typology of a bridge.

The 12-tonne bridge can be opened in multiple ways

The unique bridge design is inspired by its Victorian forbears. They knew that "moving large, heavy structures efficiently requires that they are part of balanced systems, and this design works on the same principle of equilibrium."

The bridge can be opened in multiple ways - raising, swinging, sliding, folding, and tilting.

Toothed portals at each end of the bridge roll on undulating rails cast into the concrete abutments on either bank. Ballast fills the top of each square portal, countering the weight of the bridge deck that connects them, the release states. This very symmetry permits the bridge structure to roll through 180 degrees to a fully inverted position facilitating the passage of boats back and forth from the river to the dock.

The designer focused on the "element of surprise"

Made of weathering steel and oak, the bridge might seem simple and understated in its stationary position, but it is "celebratory and playful in its movement creating a spectacular and memorable event when operated."

"The idea for an opening bridge with a single moving part – the bridge itself – sounds simple but, as you can probably guess, was actually really hard to do," said Tim Lucas, structural engineer.

On either side, the deck is bound by lightweight balustrades woven from reinforcement bars. And when taller vessels need to pass, the elements are folded down flat to the deck before the bridge does its grand rolling movement.

"No one expects a square to roll; I find a childlike joy in this element of surprise," said Randall-Page.

First-of-its-kind footbridge rolls, tilts, and folds to let boats pass

Just now, Tim Lewis said:

I've had a go at opening this bridge, it is not an easy job but then is not likely to get used that much.

At 20mins constant winding i’m not surprised, you’d think they’d have geared it a little better. Then again i suppose it’s been built for young and fit artistic dreamers, not Derek & Maureen in their twilight years with shortened breath and a dicky hip. 

I’m not seeing multiple ways of opening though, do these come later?

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

At 20mins constant winding i’m not surprised, you’d think they’d have geared it a little better. Then again i suppose it’s been built for young and fit artistic dreamers, not Derek & Maureen in their twilight years with shortened breath and a dicky hip. 

I’m not seeing multiple ways of opening though, do these come later?

I did wonder about that statement, there is only one way of opening it using a pair of winches to roll it, one to pull and one used as a brake.

The bridge is not going to get that use foe quite a while as the dock is still blocked by a reinforced concrete wall at the entrance!

winch.jpg

I see the opening of the bridge is ably assisted by a pint can of 1664.

I think the concrete dam is still there but maybe they moved it. Not been for ages. 

The dam appeared to have some sort of services either electric or gas lines across the entrance to the dock which to me looked like it would significantly complicate any plans to open it up for use as moorings.

Nice project - very big hole in the ground there.

It isn't clear from the picture how that bridge will significantly increase the air draught available. I also think that if it were open to the river Lea there would be plenty of air draught if you went at the right time unless you were trying to get a sailing boat with a fixed mast in and that wouldn't get up the river that far anyway.

2 hours ago, MIKE P said:

Or Winkwell bridge, Thrupp lift bridge and Banbury lift bridge.

Thrupp lift bridge was absolutely fine, until the eejuts " Improved " it, via electrification in 2009 😒

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You mean like the Anderton lift ?

The Anderton lift was never a great idea (and still isn't), being immersed in slightly salty water and (initially) using this as a working fluid. Even with the latest version on hydraulics, its proving to be a complete PITA  - and money sink - to keep running (BTW its not actually running at the moment). The idea of cables and counterweights was better, maybe they could bin off the dodgy hydraulics and revert to a more modern version of the cables to ensure its continued existence/justification.

At the moment its almost a white elephant for CRT. At least you know where some of the licence fee goes, though.

10 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Why was it in the "olden days" things were made beautiful, and now we make rust buckets?

I know the principle of Corten, and I know that longevity and durability are good, but why does progress have to mean it looks crap?

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Feck moi, was it that long ago?!!! 

Yeah, scary innitt :o we opened the Tea room there in 09 and they fitted it very soon after, in total honesty I dont remember if it went live in 09 or if it was actualy 2010!! bloomin eck, seems like yesterday dunnitt!!

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah, scary innitt :o we opened the Tea room there in 09 and they fitted it very soon after, in total honesty I dont remember if it went live in 09 or if it was actualy 2010!! bloomin eck, seems like yesterday dunnitt!!

I still have the key you gave us

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I still have the key you gave us

A quality key lol. Bw gave me a big bag ful to give out to people, ridiculous realy as how peeps were supposed to have got to Thrupp without a key in the first place was beyond me.

4 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The rolling bridge was closed in Paddington basin when I was last there in June. Will see if it’s open later this week unless others know? 

9E842CEC-A9F4-492F-822C-F2C1D7226E75.thumb.jpeg.f922a2f86e69b96f775dbf27224990e3.jpeg

Never seen it working, 2008 I was there and it was broken, visited over the years and still broken!

A place that really needs abridge is Braunston where the ladder bridge is not suitable and money was left in a bequest for a replacement which crt can’t manage. I first went through Thrupp bridge in 1967 and there were no boats moored anywhere for the long term.

28 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

A place that really needs abridge is Braunston where the ladder bridge is not suitable and money was left in a bequest for a replacement which crt can’t manage. I first went through Thrupp bridge in 1967 and there were no boats moored anywhere for the long term.

I read somewhere recently that sadly despite being a substantial amount it appears it’s not enough for what was intended.