Sourcing a barge in Netherlands

shinydunf

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I’d like to investigate the feasibility of importing a Dutch barge myself from Netherlands, and first of all would love any pointers on any online listings sites I should check out. I know Apollo Duck lists boats from NL and elsewhere, but if there somewhere better that I’m not aware of..?

Scheepsmakelaardij Goliath have some interesting boats. 

possible spelling error 

Others will know more but I think the term "woonschip" or similar is what we are usually looking for. 

The Dutch do know what they are doing so be careful about thinking you can find a wonderful bargain because this is unlikely. 

Importing a boat from the EU to the UK by a UK citizen will require VAT to be paid on import.

Also the vessel must fully comply with the RCR in force at the date of import.

These requirements apply whether the boat is new or used.

Douvre brokers are a good place to start but be careful because there are a lot of barges over 20 m that do not have ES-Trin certificates and therefore cannot be moved by water until they comply. Usually there is a contract when buying whereby you pay a deposit  and the boat is then surveyed at your expense but if it turns out to be not as described you can get your deposit back or the owner puts right the problems at his expense. Like old narrow boats old Dutch barges can be a money pit but on the other hand the Dutch generally look after them very well. Good luck.

• Greenie 2

15 hours ago, shinydunf said:

Hello all,

I’d like to investigate the feasibility of importing a Dutch barge myself from Netherlands, and first of all would love any pointers on any online listings sites I should check out. I know Apollo Duck lists boats from NL and elsewhere, but if there somewhere better that I’m not aware of..?

What happened to the one in Ireland ?

Did it fail the survey, or were the import costs prohibitive ?