Whixall Marina / Prees Branch moorings

PCSB

Featured Posts

There is armco for some of the way, and its worth mooring there in the summer as its off the main drag, so you wont be jerked around by passing boats every five minutes, as you will be on the main canal. 

But the Llangollen is still pretty quiet at the moment, so if you're going any time soon, then mooring next to Whixall Moss is a better bet if you have solar, as your sides face south-ish and its very open in aspect. 

You wont really have any need to divert to visit whixall marina, other than maybe to visit the cafe (which I havent tried), or the launderette.

You'll have fuelled up in nantwich or whitchurch anyway, and you wont have used too much diesel by the time you reach whixall- at least not on the outward journey. 

Its only a few hundred yards long, and as a solo boater I was lazy and couldn't be arsed to do the lift bridges, so I moored on Whixall Moss and walked over the footbridge to the marina. 

May not be an issue this time of the year but boaters returning their hire boats to the marina tend to moor up along there the night before they hand the boats back. I did and so did three other boats!

Thanks all. There was a day boat "messing" about there and not too careful what they hit so I stayed well clear. Next time we do the Llangollen I'll make a point of doing it, likewise the Monty, could only get as far as Queens Head this time due to Aston locks being worked on.