Back on the cut!

Tigerr

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Intrigued to know what you missed from the boat if you don't mind me asking?

I'm quite interested in that as well. And what, if anything, you miss about NC.

From time to time (usually during winter) I contemplate selling but the fear of missing it terribly later holds me back. My next door neighbours at the marina sold their boat 7 or 8 years ago. The new owner brought it to our marina and became my neighbour. 2 or 3 years later he sold it after he'd bought a bigger boat but it remained as my next door neighbour as the people he sold it to were the people he'd bought it from!

They missed it so much they decided to look for another boat to buy and spotted their old boat up for sale, by coincidence, so they bought it back.

"Idiosyncrasies of the toilet" seems to be something which could be expanded upon and investigated in more depth with a view to understanding the issues which were presumably present at the time of use. 

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'm quite interested in that as well. And what, if anything, you miss about NC.

From time to time (usually during winter) I contemplate selling but the fear of missing it terribly later holds me back. My next door neighbours at the marina sold their boat 7 or 8 years ago. The new owner brought it to our marina and became my neighbour. 2 or 3 years later he sold it after he'd bought a bigger boat but it remained as my next door neighbour as the people he sold it to were the people he'd bought it from!

They missed it so much they decided to look for another boat to buy and spotted their old boat up for sale, by coincidence, so they bought it back.

Right now there isn't a great deal we miss from NC.

We still meet the same people,  in the same places but at a great deal less cost to us and on a more frequent basis. At the same time seeing more of our beautiful country by road.

If im honest, for us, we should have done this years ago.

We are considering going to NYA in Horning if NC is still for sale when we are down that way In July. It will be nice to see an old friend again in a different light.

2 hours ago, Tigerr said:

Sold our lovely boat Compass Rose in 2019, due to family circumstances that looked like not much cruising ahead. 

Bought a motorhome with the proceeds, on the basis it's more flexible. Had a fantastic time, still going strong, spending months down in Cornwall and loving it.

But, so regretted selling the boat. We'd made it our own unique space. I hope the new owners are getting as much fun as we had out of the idiosyncrasies of the toilet. Never failed to amuse us. 

We've just bought our next boat and I'm delighted. Just sorting out the kit now, and then we'll be off to cruise the whole way round again. 

Vaguely hoping to pass our old boat and wave but no idea where she's gone. 

This will be the last time round for us so going to appreciate it all the more. 

Was this a motor cruiser based on the G&S by any chance? I vaguely recall one, nice boat.

18 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Intrigued to know what you missed from the boat if you don't mind me asking?

What we missed, and the motorhome just doesn't deliver are:

• Going very slowly, and the steady unfolding of the view. Its about the journey not the destination
  • Being very much 'in' the scene as opposed to looking at it - it's a sort of mindfulness pastime
  • Just stopping, without having to plan at all - not to be underestimated
  • The comfort and solidity of the boat, tinkering with the engine, touching up the paint, etc. 
  • The pleasure of locks, which are such satisfying bits of engineering, as are swing bridges etc. 

The moho (as we say) does however deliver:

• Access to the beaches, clear waters and delights of places like Cornwall, Pembrokeshire, etc
  • Outdoor seating space in the comfort of an awning, and bbq etc. Being moored up and enclosed on a grubby towpath isn't as pleasant.
  • Being at the destination, rather than the travelling bit. 
  • A tiny car towed behind, means one can explore an area.
  • Going abroad and exploring e.g. the forests of Germany.

My plan is to split time between the two from March to October,  while we have the health to do so. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

• Going very slowly, and the steady unfolding of the view. Its about the journey not the destination
  • Being very much 'in' the scene as opposed to looking at it - it's a sort of mindfulness pastime
  • The comfort and solidity of the boat, tinkering with the engine, touching up the paint, etc. 
  • The pleasure of locks, which are such satisfying bits of engineering, as are swing bridges etc. 

• Access to the beaches, clear waters and delights of places like Cornwall, Pembrokeshire, etc
  • Outdoor seating space in the comfort of an awning, and bbq etc. Being moored up and enclosed on a grubby towpath isn't as pleasant.

My plan is to split time between the two from March to October,  while we have the health to do so. 

Omg, if there is anything worse than swing bridges on the wrong side for singlehanded, it's the lock mechanisms that require superhuman efforts. I can't se them as anything other than obstacles to be overcome. I assume you are not singlehanded or up North.

The average boater is probably suffering from loss of muscle strength, not to mention gradual diminishing of problem solving ability. Looking at all the CRT propaganda,  they assume everything is 100% unless they have notified a Stoppage.

And these are sometimes acts of fiction. DAMHIK

13 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Tigerr said:

Sounds like you "do" motorhoming very differently to us.