OK - so I'm getting past it

frahkn

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I wonder how much in fees they pay the card companies.

Fees vary but in general the fees on debit card are less than a credit card

https://startups.co.uk/payment-processing/credit-card-processing-fees/#:~:text=The average credit card processing,fees%2C such as authorisation fees.

image.png.3faf62ccb13fe32260611bd5a3164030.png

It costs time and therefore money for a paid employee to take cash to the bank. Also the bank charges a business a fee for paying in cash

Also the 'card only' rule means no cash needs to be kept on site which makes the site less attractive to thieves.

The following are the fees charged by CO-OP bank . The charge for paying in cash is higher than an automated credit

image.png.78efef8e1a685d06aa8e94a3641f6e56.png

32 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Our local swimming pool has gone cashless, but the lockers still take a pound (returnable) to operate the lock and release the key. People were resistant to buying tokens (because you can't then spend them) so they have to keep a stack of £1 coins  behind the counter....

I don't know how well the mechanism checks it really is a coin of the realm, but I have plenty of key rings with a detachable metal disc the right size and shape. Originally given away, so you always had the means to take a shopping trolley at a supermarket...

5 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

I don't know how well the mechanism checks it really is a coin of the realm, but I have plenty of key rings with a detachable metal disc the right size and shape. Originally given away, so you always had the means to take a shopping trolley at a supermarket...

I have a token that works, reception sells them - the problem is that people perceive being charged £1 for a token as being charged to use the locker (because the token can't then be spent and they'll probably forget it next time)

39 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Our local swimming pool has gone cashless, but the lockers still take a pound (returnable) to operate the lock and release the key. People were resistant to buying tokens (because you can't then spend them) so they have to keep a stack of £1 coins  behind the counter....

As we came out of lockdown the local Asda reinstated the £1 locks on the trolleys. Which seems a backwards step since most of the tills inside are now card only. So when I turned up with card in wallet but not a penny in cash to do the weekly shop, I was faced with managing with just a basket. There was a queue a mile long at the customer service desk, and the security man couldn't help. So it was back in the car and off to Sainsburys, whose trolleys are still free. 

I do wonder if store management actually think this stuff through.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

As we came out of lockdown the local Asda reinstated the £1 locks on the trolleys. Which seems a backwards step since most of the tills inside are now card only. So when I turned up with card in wallet but not a penny in cash to do the weekly shop, I was faced with managing with just a basket. There was a queue a mile long at the customer service desk, and the security man couldn't help. So it was back in the car and off to Sainsburys, whose trolleys are still free. 

Our local Asda trolleys require no coin

So perhaps the store you visited had an issue with trolleys not being returned.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I wonder how much in fees they pay the card companies.

Less than they pay for taking cash or cheques at a guess, when all is considered. 

Small traders who insist on cash are quite likely either acting illegally or contrary to accountancy practice.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Haven't used coins in a trolley for yonks now.

Started using a 'trolley release key' yonks ago. Available from eBay and Amazon. It just stays on my key ring.

(and before anybody suggests otherwise I always return the trolley and re-lock it even though I don't need to to get the key out)

On the rare occasion I encounter the top loading type like our local B&M have I just use a coin from my 'parking meter' stash from the centre console.

Trolley release key.JPG

Edited by M_JG

2 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

I use a Yale key. 

Unclip from key ring.

Obvs insert the round end not the pointy.

Try it, works for me!

Does it come out without needing for another trolley to be 'plugged in'?

52 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Started using a 'trolley release key' yonks ago.

I had one at one time, but it got lost somewhere. 

And I do remember once after returning from a trip abroad with mixed currency in my pocket finding a foreign coin (€1 I think) would fit.

44 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I had one at one time, but it got lost somewhere. 

And I do remember once after returning from a trip abroad with mixed currency in my pocket finding a foreign coin (€1 I think) would fit.

Indeed some trolleys do actually have a £1 sign and a €1 sign embossed onto them, near the coin slot.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Small traders who insist on cash are quite likely either acting illegally or contrary to accountancy practice.

Well yes, I do recall the days of doing gigs with cash on the door to get in and paying the band in cash at the end. "Accounting" involved totting up the left over dosh that was still in the bag. 

The end of this sort of practice is one reason why even small events are often ticketed these days. Most will, at least, informally still take cash on the door but it's probably not going through the books, or at least not those for the gig. If you pay on the door with a card, chances are you are paying the bar not the promoter of the gig (who will have done a deal for this eventuality)

6 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

No I don’t think so. 

Ah right. If you look at the shape of the key it allows you to push it in the slot, release the chain and then give it wiggle to pull it out. 

The round end of a Yale is more like a coin so I guess it wont come out unless released just like a coin or trolley token.

Its a useful tip though for anyone stuck without a coin, key or token.

Edited by M_JG

4 hours ago, M_JG said:

Ah right. If you look at the shape of the key it allows you to push it in the slot, release the chain and then give it wiggle to pull it out. 

The round end of a Yale is more like a coin so I guess it wont come out unless released just like a coin or trolley token.

Its a useful tip though for anyone stuck without a coin, key or token.

Oooo does it work on vending machines 😅

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

Wel I can assure you that Sainsbury Huddersfield have £1 trolleys, which led to me using two plastic baskets to purchase my shopping. One knows this is a rough area, it would not happen in Kensington where king charles shops!

I usually have a pound coin in my pocket for the unfortunates but there are too many in this locality.

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Wel I can assure you that Sainsbury Huddersfield have £1 trolleys, which led to me using two plastic baskets to purchase my shopping. One knows this is a rough area, it would not happen in Kensington where king charles shops!

I usually have a pound coin in my pocket for the unfortunates but there are too many in this locality.

I have a pound coin in every coat pocket! No free trolleys around here.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

It’s not rough, it’s character forming. If you look carefully theres a lovely collection of rat traps along the car park wall overlooking the canal too ;) 

• Haha 1