OK - so I'm getting past it

frahkn

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's a maybe but it is probably her way of coping.

I wear hearing aids but they don't always pick up what I would hear if I had perfect hearing. Several years ago I was training my dog and as I didn't hear the trainer speak, I carried on regardless. This amused a couple who were watching and they made a big joke of it. It hurt me and although I now make jokes about being unable to hear well (I do this to prevent being mocked again) I have never forgotten it and I am still very self conscious in a situation where I might not hear everything. 

Your sons girl friend is probably just using joking as a means of coping but she would probably rather she didn't have OCD in the first place. for people to laugh at her expense. 

Perhaps we should all be more aware when we make jokes at others expense.  

I think it depends on who is doing the joking, Barry would always pick me up my spelling in my blog but never in a nasty way, unfortunately he didn't make it through covid. Some on here have been not so kind.

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think it depends on who is doing the joking, Barry would always pick me up my spelling in my blog but never in a nasty way, unfortunately he didn't make it through covid. Some on here have been not so kind.

To an extent that is true, but equally Haggis has a point, because it also depends on the individual and their receptivness to such jokes.

Assuming somebody is receptive simply based on the fact that the person is known or even well known to them cannot be assumed.

49 minutes ago, IanD said:

Perhaps you shouldn't worry so much about two people who have been happily together for more than half their lives... 😉

Perhaps,  but it was YOU  who thought it was sufficiently amusing to post it on here. 

29 minutes ago, haggis said:

Perhaps,  but it was YOU  who thought it was sufficiently amusing to post it on here. 

Careful, he'll have you on his norty step.....

I remember being impressed by the data centre of the Royal Bank of Scotland many years ago.  It had a blast wall between the two halves of the centre to protect it from external attacks.  This is the bank that attempted to self-destruct in the banking crisis. All IIRC.

On 05/03/2023 at 09:12, Alan de Enfield said:

Being very rural we often suffered power cuts in the Winter and in high winds.

Somewhere on this thread it has been said that cashless is everywhere up north, down south etc - but your comment reflects my experience, the geography of cash is related to the urban/rural split - Frome uses more cash that Bath, Chapmanslade uses more cash than Frome, and a shop/pub in the middle of nowhere uses more again. I think one or two traders also still have the old paper card machines although as most modern cards don't have embossed numbers  now these are probably useless

Incidentally, a line in my signature quotes from "The Second Sleep" by Robert Harris - this book is set about 1000 years in the future but the society described is more like 1000 years in the past, no electricity, horse transport etc. Some curious people delving into what happened through parish records find that everything went pear shaped in 2025, they conjecture that our systems simply stopped working, although, having no electricity, they can't conceive what it was that actually went wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Anyone improvident enough toi go out shopping or for the evening without money deserves all they get.

Both my current cards, debit and credit, have embossed numbers.

I currently have a tenner in my wallet. But only because Ive forgotten to spend it,  till you posted this.

It was given to me to pay for something I'd bought for an elderly friend by card. Once its spent my wallet will revert to being devoid of any cash what so ever.

34 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Somewhere on this thread it has been said that cashless is everywhere up north, down south etc - but your comment reflects my experience, the geography of cash is related to the urban/rural split - Frome uses more cash that Bath, Chapmanslade uses more cash than Frome, and a shop/pub in the middle of nowhere uses more again. I think one or two traders also still have the old paper card machines although as most modern cards don't have embossed numbers  now these are probably useless

Incidentally, a line in my signature quotes from "The Second Sleep" by Robert Harris - this book is set about 1000 years in the future but the society described is more like 1000 years in the past, no electricity, horse transport etc. Some curious people delving into what happened through parish records find that everything went pear shaped in 2025, they conjecture that our systems simply stopped working, although, having no electricity, they can't conceive what it was that actually went wrong. 

Maybe just a hangover of birth but I always have a 'few hundred' in my wallet, each of our walking rucksacks has 'a few hundred' packed away and the boats have a 'few thousand' (more than enough to fill the 2800 litre fuel tank, or rebuild an engine etc etc) I have been in the situation of making a reasonably large purchase  and having the card refused, or no connection etc etc.

Even the electricity meter top-up at the marina uses the internet and card and due to the location they are lucky to get a couple of days per week without it dropping off. If you don't have cash you are snookered.

When the old £20 notes went out of circulation in September last year I had to root around all the 'stock piles' and get them to the bank and replace them with the new notes. Now there is a suggestion that these new notes will soon be withdrawn as they have QE11 head on them. Historically the monarchs head has never been on notes and QE11 was the first.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, haggis said:

1. It was directly related to the post I replied to.

2. It wasn't in any way derogatory to the people concerned, it's an in-joke for them -- and is returned in spades, nobody is the victim here.

3. You don't know them, and your concern on their behalf is neither warranted nor wanted. MYOB 😉

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, IanD said:

3. You don't know them, and your concern on their behalf is neither warranted nor wanted. MYOB 😉

You made it forum business when you posted.

Funny how you can be so unpleasant and in the next breath complain about the conduct of others on here. And still cannot see it.

On 08/03/2023 at 16:49, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe just a hangover of birth but I always have a 'few hundred' in my wallet, each of our walking rucksacks has 'a few hundred' packed away and the boats have a 'few thousand' (more than enough to fill the 2800 litre fuel tank, or rebuild an engine etc etc)

There is a rumour that airline pilots carry enough gold on every trip to refuel the 747 / Airbus and get home again - just in case things go totally T*** Up and "no, we don't recognise your BA credit card"

• Greenie 1

On 08/03/2023 at 16:49, Alan de Enfield said:

(snip) Now there is a suggestion that these new notes will soon be withdrawn as they have QE11 head on them. Historically the monarchs head has never been on notes and QE11 was the first.

Highly unlikely they will cease to be legal tender. When I were a lad, pre decimalisation, coinage displayed the heads of all monarchs from Queen Victoria to Queen Elizabeth. (Edward VIII was missing: they were worth a fortune, IIRC!) The early silver coins also tended to disappear: pre 1947 had a greater silver content than their face value.

20 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Highly unlikely they will cease to be legal tender. When I were a lad, pre decimalisation, coinage displayed the heads of all monarchs from Queen Victoria to Queen Elizabeth. (Edward VIII was missing: they were worth a fortune, IIRC!) The early silver coins also tended to disappear: pre 1947 had a greater silver content than their face value.

According to the mint there were only 6 Edward the VIII pennies produced and these were placed under the 'corner stones' of Government buildings that were being built at the time. Despite never being officially put into circulation a further small quantity have slowly come to light. In 2019 a penny sold for £111,000 (£133,000 with Buyers premium added) and is probably one of the rarest British coins.

In 2010 a pattern-set of 13 Edward VIII coins sold for £1,350,000

Pre-1920 our 'silver' coins contained 92.5% silver but as the value of the Silver started to be greater than the face value they were 'devalued' and the silver content reduced to 50%.

From 1947 our 'silver' coins contained nil / zero silver

Coins have always (well almost always) had the monarchs head, but until QE11 notes never did,

I am a collector of British coins and have regular contact with the Royal Mint, and, it is information from them that there is a proposal to withdraw the 'QE11 notes' when the new Charles ones are available.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

from them that there is a proposal to withdraw the 'QE11 notes' when the new Charles ones are available.

Blimey! The Royal Family will have to soldier on for a good few more generations yet to get to a QE11. It took 300 years to get from QE1 to QE2.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Roman numerals have letters not numbers so II is ii not 11. Also L is not l as this would be I which is i. 

Queen Elizabeth aye aye as she was known by sailors. 

Edited by magnetman
edit to add indefensible slur

• 1 month later...

Our local swimming pool has gone cashless, but the lockers still take a pound (returnable) to operate the lock and release the key. People were resistant to buying tokens (because you can't then spend them) so they have to keep a stack of £1 coins  behind the counter....