Northern Canals

Muddy Waters

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Adam said:

One to note is 70ft Narrowbeams go through the lock at Thorne, Appreciate the OP is 72'

I have heard this before but having been through there in my 58' boat I find it difficult to picture how. I asked the lock keeper how 70' foot boats fit through and he laughed!

24 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I have heard this before but having been through there in my 58' boat I find it difficult to picture how. I asked the lock keeper how 70' foot boats fit through and he laughed!

@mrsmelly has taken a 70ft boat through that lock.

3 hours ago, M_JG said:

@mrsmelly has taken a 70ft boat through that lock.

Indeed I have and the novice boater also a forum member who bought the 70 footer off me as his first boat, took it back thro the lock and down to London on his first trip. We had nearly a half inch iirc to spare. 72 footer is no chance.

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

A lot would dispute this these days, even the lock keepers that man it.

Well unless the lock has shrunk recently since 2011 when my 70 footer went through they would be wrong.

9 minutes ago, RichM said:

What is the max length for L&L?

The locks from Wigan to Liverpool are big, and will easily take a 72 foot boat, though I half remeber that the Stanley flight (into Liverpool) was a little bit shorter than the others. Wigan to Leeds is a bit of a mystery to me as they are too short for us, but we have done a few with a friend, and based on this and on other forum posts, a lot depends on how brave you are and how wet you are willing to get.

I have heard verbally, unsubstantiated, that some CRT people are taking a dim view of longer boats doing locks on the diagonal, so this is another unknown quantity.

23 minutes ago, RichM said:

What is the max length for L&L?

62 feet, but it's easier and dryer if you're shorter!

At full length for Wigan Junction to Leeds you need to make sure your boat can cope with huge amounts of water coming through lock gates.

A good cratch cover, or very big scuppers at the bow.  A trad stern with watertight doors (best!) or a cruiser/semitrad that doesn't let any water through deck boards, or at a push a few rolls of gaffer tape to seal the deckboard joins ...

57' or less and you'll be fine if you pay attention and don't mind getting splashed!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

62 feet, but it's easier and dryer if you're shorter!

At full length for Wigan Junction to Leeds you need to make sure your boat can cope with huge amounts of water coming through lock gates.

A good cratch cover, or very big scuppers at the bow.  A trad stern with watertight doors (best!) or a cruiser/semitrad that doesn't let any water through deck boards, or at a push a few rolls of gaffer tape to seal the deckboard joins ...

57' or less and you'll be fine if you pay attention and don't mind getting splashed!

Our bilge pump used to get a serious workout on that section.

Serious.

4 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Yes that’s the same reaction I get when I take my 61’5” through. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Well unless the lock has shrunk recently since 2011 when my 70 footer went through they would be wrong.

Some people 'do' Tim and some just 'waffle on t'internet'.

There is another 70ft in the area, moored at Tulley’s Rotherham, “The West Wing” maybe @peterboat knows which way it got there?

7 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Some people 'do' Tim and some just 'waffle on t'internet'.

Yes as they haven’t got a boat, like a lot on here and think they know the canals by watching YouTube on THE Internet 👍😂

Edited by PD1964

Correct me if I'm wrong @mrsmelly Tim but was this the boat you brought up to Lemonroyd due to family illness?

The mooring of which we took over after you left? And where we met as I came to see the mooring?

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

There is another 70ft in the area, moored at Tulley’s Rotherham, “The West Wing” maybe @peterboat knows which way it got there?

Yes as they haven’t got a boat, like a lot on here and think they know the canals by watching YouTube on THE Internet 👍😂

I have forgotten more about boats and boating than you will ever know. You are calling me a liar, just because you have not done much boating dont think others havnt done loads. The novice who bought it from me also took the boat back through the lock and down to where its moored now in London. If you want some lessons on how to lock through Thorne I dont mind coming and holding your hand.

Just now, M_JG said:

Correct me if I'm wrong @mrsmelly Tim but was this the boat you brought up to Lemonroyd due to family illness?

The mooring of which we took over after you left? And where we met as I came to see the mooring?

Precisely, it was when my Dad was ill and died whilst I moored my 70 footer in Lemonroyd. If you recall you came and bought a folding bike from me at the marina. Some people with little boating experience just done in one small area cant be advised on anything.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have forgotten more about boats and boating than you will ever know. You are calling me a liar, just because you have not done much boating dont think others havnt done loads. The novice who bought it from me also took the boat back through the lock and down to where its moored now in London. If you want some lessons on how to lock through Thorne I dont mind coming and holding your hand.

How am I calling you a liar. Sorry salty dog, 

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely, it was when my Dad was ill and died whilst I moored my 70 footer in Lemonroyd. If you recall you came and bought a folding bike from me at the marina. Some people with little boating experience just done in one small area cant be advised on anything.

Ah yes forgotten about the bike.

Sold that to a forum member who has since died also.

Cannot for the life of me remember his name despite him being well known, but used to own Kennet.

Screenshot_20230303-220236_Photos.jpg

Edited by M_JG

Just now, PD1964 said:

How am I calling you a liar. Sorry salty dog, 

You have done it before. I have said on previous threads about taking my boat through thorne and you always dispute it. The same boat was taken back by the bloke who bought it from me. Its very tight but doable. The problem with Thorne is that its advertised as impassable which is a shame as many boaters will not go up there thinking they cannot get up to Leeds and Wakey, there fore its good to let people know its doable. However Steve Hudson is now dead so also as I have said before its down to how accurate his boats were? It may have only been 69 feet ten inches or it could have been 70 feet 2 inches???? Its no big deal though as a 70 footer can be turned both top and bottom of the lock to go back the way it came.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

You have done it before. I have said on previous threads about taking my boat through thorne and you always dispute it. The same boat was taken back by the bloke who bought it from me. Its very tight but doable. The problem with Thorne is that its advertised as impassable which is a shame as many boaters will not go up there thinking they cannot get up to Leeds and Wakey, there fore its good to let people know its doable. However Steve Hudson is now dead so also as I have said before its down to how accurate his boats were? It may have only been 69 feet ten inches or it could have been 70 feet 2 inches???? Its no big deal though as a 70 footer can be turned both top and bottom of the lock to go back the way it came.

As the previous poster said ask about it and all you get is a laugh from the lock keeper. I’m sure many have asked and had the same reaction.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I no longer give PD the time of day.

He is one of three posters on here who's posts I just skip over. Just not worth the effort. Hence I didnt point out earlier he had completely misunderstood my post.

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I no longer give PD the time of day.

He is one of three posters on here who's posts I just skip over. Just not worth the effort. Hence I didnt point out earlier he had completely misunderstood my post.

Same here I take no notice of you, as most times your touting for arguemens like you do with so many on here.

Edited by PD1964

11 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Furthest north is Leeds if you go up the Trent and round Trent Falls.

If you don't fancy big tidal estuaries and instead up go up the T&M then Hebden Bridge on the Rochdale is the furthest north.

In both cases you would have to go back the way you came.

we have got as far as Linton Lock  on the Yorkshire Ouse after transiting Trent Falls, well north of Leeds!

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Its Jonathan's he bought it from castleford area, its been back to Castleford for blacking same time as myself