Stove install

Adam1991

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi, we’re looking at installing stove pipe for our stove atm. It seems that a lot of the  single skin flue pipes are 1.2mm thick. Is this an ok thickness to install? I remember getting information somewhere that it it should be 3 to 4mm. 

thanks 

Unless that is stainless steel I would not.

Hi Tracy, I can’t seem to find any online which are thicker than around that thickness. Any recommendations on where we could get a couple of lengths of the thicker stuff? Also do you think at that point to get it welded custom would work out around the same ? 

cheers! 

You don't say what diameter you want, but Midland Swindlers sell 1/8" (3.175mm) wall pipe for this in a choice of two diameters.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/ag-flue-pipe-steel-4-1-2-o-d-x-1500mm-long-hf-404

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/ag-flue-pipe-steel-4-o-d-x-1500mm-hf-401

Also worth trying steel stockholders locally, as will be cheaper. Go with thinner stainless for longer life and a shiny bling flue pipe.

1.2 mm mild steel is not going to last long as a flue.  A steel stockholder ( or even Parker Steel on line, but expensive)   will have mild steel Circular hollow section (CHS to the trade)  in 101 and 114.3 mm outside diameters in thicknesses up to 5 mm.  Don't go too thick.  Mild steel is heavy and your stove top has to some extent to support the pipe.  Two metres of 5mm x114.3 CHS is about 30 kg. 

CHS  comes in 6-7m lengths, but a stockholder will cut it into three 2 m lengths for a little money.  A whole length should be about the same prices as the chandlers want for 1.5 m.

If you happen to be near Somerset I have a couple of spare pieces in the workshop I would happily sell one of.

It is about a day's work and a good  handful of welding rods to make a double cranked, single skin,  mild steel flue if you have the right kit.  At London  prices that can be expensive, but a cranked flue always looks better than a straight pipe that does not fit the collars properly because the ends have been cut off on the piss to get it to go in at all.

N

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You don't say what diameter you want, but Midland Swindlers sell 1/8" (3.175mm) wall pipe for this in a choice of two diameters.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/ag-flue-pipe-steel-4-1-2-o-d-x-1500mm-long-hf-404

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/ag-flue-pipe-steel-4-o-d-x-1500mm-hf-401

Also worth trying steel stockholders locally, as will be cheaper. Go with thinner stainless for longer life and a shiny bling flue pipe.

This stuff rots through in about five years in my experience. Perforates around the top just below where it enters the roof collar. 

Edited by MtB
Add the emphasis

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

This stuff rots through in about five years in my experience. Perforates around the top just below where it enters the roof collar.

I don't think you can blame the supplier for that. Any mild steel will corrode through in time. All you can do is go thicker or stainless to put off the day.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I don't think you can blame the supplier for that. Any mild steel will corrode through in time. All you can do is go thicker or stainless to put off the day.

Yes agreed, I wasn't meaning to suggest MC flue pipe was in any way defective, just that 3mm wall steel flue of which theirs is an example quoted in the previous post, is under-specified and rots through quite quickly.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

That has been my experience too. The next one will probably be stainless steel. A choice of places to buy it as I moor not far from where the material was invented!

17 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That has been my experience too. The next one will probably be stainless steel. A choice of places to buy it as I moor not far from where the material was invented!

Yep, I'm going stainless after this winter. Our one is showing pinholes after only 3 years. I am convinced there was a batch of highly toxic smokeless last season that ate into all things metal. Thank fark for pop rivets. Don't tell my BSS inspector.

Edited by rusty69
there, not their

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you go stainless and have it cranked be sure that the welder TIGs it and not with mild steel rods or you will have pieces in 2 to 3 years!

There are fewer people around who can weld stainless properly. Fortunately, the flue on my boat is straight.