JP3 Engine Oil Volume

steve.sharratt

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2023 at 06:07, frangar said:

If it’s dry sump with the lister copper/brass tank I’d day around 42 litres. My JP2M is 38 litres ish. And you need to allow for a bigger sump length…it might be dry sumped but there’s a gallon or more of oil still in it. 

On 27/02/2023 at 19:14, David Mack said:

But as long as you have enough, it doesn't really matter.

On 27/02/2023 at 18:29, James Owen said:

If it's dry sumped then that will depend on the size of the tank.

Apologies for the slow response.  I have a wet sump.  I have ordered 20 litres and will see how I go.

On 08/03/2023 at 18:23, steve.sharratt said:

Apologies for the slow response.  I have a wet sump.  I have ordered 20 litres and will see how I go.

I have a wet sump JP2. I put about 12 litres in.Make sure you don't put too much in so that the crank touches the oil.

25 minutes ago, steve.sharratt said:

Cheers.  I just got my oil delivery so good timing!  I ordered 20 litres so should be good.

I converted mine from dry to wet sump, as I didn't have an oil tank. I just poured the oil through the opening created when I took the side door off until it was at an appropriate level. I had already made a dipstick, so I marked it at 1, 2 and 3 gallon levels for checking purposes. Initially I put in 3 gallons, but as I put a squirt of oil on the valve gear every day, I now fill to 2/12 gallons and the daily squirt from the oil can gradually tops up the sump.

33 minutes ago, steve.sharratt said:

Cheers.  I just got my oil delivery so good timing!  I ordered 20 litres so should be good.

What oil are you using?  I used to use Morris's, but I now have a paper oil filter in the sump so that I can use cheap ( well, not really, perhaps cheap-er) Halfords 20-50.

7 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I converted mine from dry to wet sump, as I didn't have an oil tank. I just poured the oil through the opening created when I took the side door off until it was at an appropriate level. I had already made a dipstick, so I marked it at 1, 2 and 3 gallon levels for checking purposes. Initially I put in 3 gallons, but as I put a squirt of oil on the valve gear every day, I now fill to 2/12 gallons and the daily squirt from the oil can gradually tops up the sump.

What oil are you using?  I used to use Morris's, but I now have a paper oil filter in the sump so that I can use cheap ( well, not really, perhaps cheap-er) Halfords 20-50.

It’s Morris SAE20.  I do plan to take off the side door.  Does it have a gasket or just use cement?  I have been have some oil issues through the exhaust and I suspect overfilling so I will be watching that closely.