Interesting boat share ebay ad and cheap holidays on the canal

BilgePump

Featured Posts

Was just doing the usual trawl of ebay boat adverts and came across an interesting advert for a share syndicate with a 26' GRP cruiser. The weekly costs work out at less than a cheap campsite (£9, £12 and £15 per night low/mid/high) and the share cost for a week of each is £690 buy-in (plus year's costs). That seems blooming excellent value for anyone looking to get on the canals but not wanting the commitment or costs of buying outright or a narrowboat share syndicate. It looks to be a legitimate setup and a boat that has had work done to it. Kind of boat I'd like to upgrade to when I can, had plenty of family holidays on our Dawncraft 25 when I was a kid.

Not connected to or endorsing this advert or syndicate. Just wondering if these kind of boat shares might be quite effective at allowing many people who couldn't otherwise afford a NB holiday or share to enjoy holidays on the water at a much more affordable price. It would also allow these older GRP boats to enjoy a decent maintenance schedule where costs are shared.

Edited: forgot link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165947336747

Edited by BilgePump

19 hours ago, RichM said:

Interesting. The first paragraph in the advert is a promise of a partial refund if you change your mind...

Yes, all that £50 fee, £30 refundable, to reserve the share or use the other ad to avoid the cost of classified relisting. At first it sounded a bit suspect but on closer read just looks like a blunt attempt to stop tyre-kickers wasting their time and holding up a genuine purchaser from buying the share.

To compare costs, the ebay ad underneath it was for a 1/12th share in a  well maintained 58' twenty year old narrowboat, giving three weeks per year

Cost of share £2250, current annual cost about £1400 pa (vs the £252 current annual cost for 3 weeks for the GRP cruiser).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334762826174

Isn't the "catch" with sharing most GRP boats including this one that they're really not suited to use in cold weather (poorly insulated, no stove, rather small too)? So if you're unlucky with your selection of weeks to book, it might only be pleasant for one of them. Still looks decent value even if you only get the one week a year though

Edited by enigmatic

12 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Isn't the "catch" with sharing most GRP boats including this one that they're really not suited to use in cold weather (poorly insulated, no stove, rather small too)? So if you're unlucky with your selection of weeks to book, it might only be pleasant for one of them. Still looks decent value even if you only get the one week a year though

It would appear that the boat is out and about for 33 weeks of the year (March to October) with a winter mooring for the rest. The 3 weeks (low/mid/high) would all be in the 'boating season'. Not gong to pretend that March and October are balmy but enough layers, sleeping bags etc and it can still be enjoyable. None of my boats have gas or other heating and I've done overnights/weekends/week breaks in all the months of the year (Including being frozen in in the middle of a lake for days on end one December). Yes, of course a nice woodburner in a steel NB would be preferable but, .... finances. Like you say it still looks decent value.

5 hours ago, BilgePump said:

It would appear that the boat is out and about for 33 weeks of the year (March to October) with a winter mooring for the rest. The 3 weeks (low/mid/high) would all be in the 'boating season'. Not gong to pretend that March and October are balmy but enough layers, sleeping bags etc and it can still be enjoyable. 

March to October is the period in which I spend nights on Juno, so it's workable. I am aware that conventional boat shares seem to give four weeks and the fourth would be in the Nov-February period, even with heating you might not be able to go far.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2023 at 21:28, enigmatic said:

Never really had a problem winter cruising with our GRP boat. The diesel heater kept it toasty warm.

We had some fantastic winters afloat.

That boat looks to be a nice introduction to boating for someone. Cheap enough and the sort of thing that will never lose any money if looked after.