Calls to limit boat traffic to protect wildlife on restored Welsh canal

Puffling

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe locals who don't want the canal reopened smuggled them in one night. 

When we lived in wild Wales, a field on the edge of a near-by village was bought by a developer with the intent of building 25-30 houses, it was not favoured by the locals and during the planning application and site reviews it was found that there was an Otter living in the stream - evidenced by its footprints in the mud.

PP inquiry was delayed until more investigation could be undertaken.

It was eventually found that it must have been a one legged Otter as all of the prints were the same right front foot (paw ?)

Makes you wonder how it survived in the wild - or - did it actually exist ?

The concerns about the Otter were dismissed and the PP review went ahead - and was refused anyway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Where did all those endangered species live before moving to abandoned canals? Surely it is their historic environments which should be conserved?

Yup you are right, problem is much of their historic habits have already been destroyed to provide development of some sort or by agricultural practices.

The top of the Montgomery Canal above the feeder is empty of water and has been for many years. It is usefull, as the sewage pipe to the Newtown Sewage Works is laid in it.  I doubt the water authority would be happy for the newly surfaced "tow path" to become a bridal way as the new surface on the tow path does not appear to be suitable for horses(Not CART property) The terminal basin is now housing and the canal between the basin and the pump house no longer exists. This is what happens when a canal is not open for boats. Have these people with their silly ideas of banning boats actualy walked the entire canal ?.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, magnetman said:

Maybe locals who don't want the canal reopened smuggled them in one night. 

Newts can be handy for this, and certain types of bat. 

I've heard locally that construction of Hungerford Marina has been on held ice for years because slow worms live on the site and they just won't bugger off. 

Also, I suspect pretty much anywhere can be made into a SSSI by looking at it hard enough.

23 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

So where did the wildlife live before they built the canals? Perhaps there were more village ponds. Going by what has happened to some of my local ponds, they tend to silt up if not periodically cleaned out.

Development of land and changes in agricultural practices have led to a lot of habitat loss, it's no longer good practice to use ponds for water for stock so many are filled in or left to silt up

Just the first link from a Google of "loss of farm ponds" 

https://www.wwt.org.uk/our-work/projects/restoring-lost-farmland-ponds/

On 07/03/2023 at 18:12, magpie patrick said:

It's not an approach that would suit most nature conservationists though - it might be what they think they want, but it tends to lead to stagnant weed choked water

This is certainly how I'd describe how the non-restored sections looked when I biked along there last year, well that and dry.

Better make that  dry suits. More than 30 years ago  a police diver at our local police station's open day explained that they only used dry suits due to the possibility of contracting Weils  disease. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typo

1 hour ago, nebulae said:

New top secret plan by CART. Promoting wedding in a wet suit. Great saving as the wet suit can be used more than once, May be a white wet suit for the bride

I think the bride would be more likely to have a wet dress. I haven't been to many weddings for many yars so things could have changed I suppose. 

The wife wearing a suit to the wedding does seem rather odd to my slightly old fashioned mind. 

Edited by magnetman
edit to add very mild sex reference

I seem to recall that at least one type of newt got protected under an EC law that we were obliged to follow,  because it is rare in continental Europe. But it is quite common in the UK, no doubt reflecting the planning application experience. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typo

33 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I seem to recall that at least one type of newt got protected under an EC law that we were obliged to follow,  because it is rare in continental Europe. But it is quite common in the UK, no doubt reflecting the planning application experience. 

Yes there are bloody millions of these rare newts infesting every single building site ever planned. 

I predict the 'mirroring' UK law you mention will never be repealed. After all, what MP wants to risk be pilloried for voting against "saving rare newts"???