Hi All

mightyslay3r

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

When do you expect the necessary legislation to be enacted? 2025 will soon be upon us and quite probably work has commenced on some boats that are not even expected to be completed before then.

No doubt rules will be tightened but these are currently plans, not law and it looks to me as even the first and mildest will not be introduced on time.

The plan is already coming to fruition with several 'milestones already being achieved'

• Happy 1

There are not really any plans or milestones, these things are "aspirations", thats what politicians do, they make speaches about aspirations.

They also make laws, mostly the laws get defeated or quietly put aside, but sometimes the aspirations become law and that can be bad.

Only scientists and engineers can actually make things happen.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

38 minutes ago, dmr said:

There are not really any plans or milestones, these things are "aspirations", thats what politicians do, they make speaches about aspirations.

They also make laws, mostly the laws get defeated or quietly put aside, but sometimes the aspirations become law and that can be bad.

Only scientists and engineers can actually make things happen.

There is a really interesting typo there. 

Speaches. 

It is actually speeches.

What is odd is that while speaking for an extended time a speech happens. For some unknown reason the ea turns into an ee even though the words are very obviously connected. 

I can't seen why it isn't speeking. 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, mightyslay3r said:

im waiting for the proposal by the government to have electrically propelled boats....

at the boat owners expense ofc...

imagine the royal navy having to get rid of those monsters in the hull & replacing with electric motors lol

the batteries required would outweigh the weight of the engines me thinks....

The bad news is lots of liners have electric motors apparently it's the most reliable and efficient way of doing it

https://www.eeworldonline.com/the-ocean-liner-ss-united-states-part-4-cruise-ship-successor-faq/

5 hours ago, mightyslay3r said:

exactly... its what people with electric work vans are having to do if they have to really travel to get to the work place.... pull over & crank the genny up lol.... 

sad state of affairs when diesel is being run out.. but need it to charge lol

Novel this, they really just pull onto a rapid charger and charge up, the problem with the genny is earths and the van might not charge

• Greenie 1

One suspects this is using the diesel electric propulsion model which is a well known arrangement for heavy units.

If not then it is a major change. I somehow doubt there are cruise ships with only batteries. 

Hell's teeth they would be pretty wicked battery rooms ! 

Nothing new under the sun. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

One suspects this is using the diesel electric propulsion model which is a well known arrangement for heavy units.

If not then it is a major change. I somehow doubt there are cruise ships with only batteries. 

Hell's teeth they would be pretty wicked battery rooms ! 

Nothing new under the sun. 

It's a generator but they are more efficient than direct drive apparently 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, peterboat said:

It's a generator but they are more efficient than direct drive apparently 

surprised they arnt all water propulsion like jet ski's.. now that would be novel on a liner lol

BREAKING NEWS: 

seems like fuel is coming down in price with a bang guys.... within the next 2 weeks....

Edited by mightyslay3r

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

There is a really interesting typo there. 

Speaches. 

It is actually speeches.

What is odd is that while speaking for an extended time a speech happens. For some unknown reason the ea turns into an ee even though the words are very obviously connected. 

I can't seen why it isn't speeking. 

The problem that I have is that I can't do spellin or tables which made life difficult at primary school, but these days calculators and spell checkers have fixed things, but then since replacing my PC recently I have not yet got the spellchecker working in Firefox so things have gone a bit downhill 😀.

Actually my spellin' has improved hugely of late because I am learning from the spellchecker, which has also made me think a lot more about these things..

The anomaly that you point out is very interesting, does the www tell us anything about this? I think there are one or two other examples. Some of these quirks are slowly getting fixed as the Americans are (mostly) a bit more logical than us with spelling and we do like to copy them.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

What type of fuel?

Where did you get this information from?

daily mirror

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/warning-issued-drivers-filling-up-29341455?int_source=nba

seems they have realised people who us diesel fuel have been ripped off for months... well, its obvious if you look at the fuel price boards lol

1 hour ago, dmr said:

The problem that I have is that I can't do spellin or tables which made life difficult at primary school, but these days calculators and spell checkers have fixed things, but then since replacing my PC recently I have not yet got the spellchecker working in Firefox so things have gone a bit downhill 😀.

Actually my spellin' has improved hugely of late because I am learning from the spellchecker, which has also made me think a lot more about these things..

The anomaly that you point out is very interesting, does the www tell us anything about this? I think there are one or two other examples. Some of these quirks are slowly getting fixed as the Americans are (mostly) a bit more logical than us with spelling and we do like to copy them.

dmr .... i'll always spell colour & not color.... the yanks got their english from us & started changing it to their own means....

im sorry you've had problems through your life with spelling etc.. my son was & is still the same.. its no laughing matter :( 

Edited by mightyslay3r

10 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

daily mirror

Ok then, I'll add some detail to make the information useful.

It looks like this is is what was being referred to   https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/warning-issued-drivers-filling-up-29341455?int_source=nba

So the "fuel" being referred to is diesel and it's all about the current high diesel premium so it won't affect petrol cars. My diesel tank needs filling so I may see if I can wait a little bit longer but it looks like RAC wishful thinking to me. Hopefully it will happen but it's only going to be a 20p reduction per litre at the very most. Significant but I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as the RAC in calling it huge. Not for me with my low mileage anyway, more significant for gas guzzlers.

• Happy 1

11 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Ok then, I'll add some detail to make the information useful.

It looks like this is is what was being referred to   https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/warning-issued-drivers-filling-up-29341455?int_source=nba

So the "fuel" being referred to is diesel and it's all about the current high diesel premium so it won't affect petrol cars. My diesel tank needs filling so I may see if I can wait a little bit longer but it looks like RAC wishful thinking to me. Hopefully it will happen but it's only going to be a 20p reduction per litre at the very most. Significant but I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as the RAC in calling it huge. Not for me with my low mileage anyway, more significant for gas guzzlers.

any diesel user will gain significantly if , has you say it actually happens :) 

i wonder if the diesel boaters will see a difference?

ahh well, just thought i'd pass on my findings :)

Edited by mightyslay3r

32 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

Passing on your findings is good but if it's vague and gives no source then it doesn't really help anyone. That's why I wanted to know more.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

any diesel user will gain significantly if , has you say it actually happens :) 

i wonder if the diesel boaters will see a difference?

Diesel from marinas and fuel boats is (generally) already a premium price compared to garage forecourt prices - mainly because of the very low volume turnover they get they cannot buy with 'quantity discounts'.

Our local village garage is £1.699 for diesel, in the next town I paid £1.43 about 10/14 days ago.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Passing on your findings is good but if it's vague and gives no source then it doesn't really help anyone. That's why I wanted to know more.

yeah, sorry about that... the link has all the info though :) 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mightyslay3r said:

dmr .... i'll always spell colour & not color.... the yanks got their english from us & started changing it to their own means....

im sorry you've had problems through your life with spelling etc.. my son was & is still the same.. its no laughing matter :( 

Yes, thats another problem, I still write quite a bit of software to earn some money so constantly get exposed to color and disk etc. and really struggle to remember not to use them when writing in the real world.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, thats another problem, I still write quite a bit of software to earn some money so constantly get exposed to color and disk etc. and really struggle to remember not to use them when writing in the real world.

👍

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Sound very much like me. Computers with spell checkers were a godsend for me. I wasn't too bad a basic maths 

• Greenie 1

On 28/02/2023 at 23:44, mightyslay3r said:

i just typed a massive reply.... then deleted it... pointless...

cya down the cut probably

I refer you to your earlier post, and your predicted behaviour. You are not liking the responses, so you will huff off. So be it.

• Horror 1

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

I refer you to your earlier post, and your predicted behaviour. You are not liking the responses, so you will huff off. So be it.

i see you are one that cannot let anything go.... 

and if you where told not to do something you had your heart set on for years... your behaviour would be predictable also....

just think about that for a moment....

i also don't mind help, idea's & even criticism ... but to be told not to do something isnt on.. not even on a forum...

if we fail... we fail.. that is our problem.. no one elses... but if we take the, i couldnt even call it advice... we will never know if it would have been beyond magnificent or a failure... and the fact that PD told me how our lives where going to unfold.. daughter cant cope goes to live with bro etc... do you all have crystal balls?

i've let it go... moved on to reading the other threads... 

[ENDEX]

Edited by mightyslay3r

People don't want to discuss the lavatory arrangements on boats. 

It is a very personal activity and the compromises made, while in some cases being incredibly traumatic, are often hidden from view. 

This is what is actually happening. 

There will be a lot of denial and a lot of diversion but at the end of the day living on a boat comes down to the finer points of the lavatory system. 

That is what it is all about. 

If you can deal with boat lavatories then you will be fine. If not then be very fearful and wary of long term trauma. 

Do NOT get a dump through pumpout lavatory. If you do you will be psychologically harmed far more than war veterans. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

If you can deal with boat lavatories then you will be fine. If not then be very fearful and wary of long term trauma. 

Erm... i'm sure the OP will cope just fine with the finer points of when to go in the hedge, and when not to. It's how the wimmins he is dragging along on this adventure will cope once fully committed that might be worrying some of us here.

• Happy 1