Hi All

mightyslay3r

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

so, in effect... if you still own & live in said house you still get state benefits... but if you sell it & have the ready cash in the bank.. you cant?

i understand that.. but its still weird....

It's not weird, the Benefit system is not a free-for-all.

The taxpayer pays for those on benefits.

The idea is most people work for forty years, pay tax, get a pension, retire.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer collects the money paid by all taxpayers and distributes it those unable to work. There are variations on this theme of course.

Many benefits are means tested for obvious reasons that is to say that essentially people who are well off should not be getting handouts from the public purse.

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1

28 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

so, in effect... if you still own & live in said house you still get state benefits... but if you sell it & have the ready cash in the bank.. you cant?

Not really, you can't eat a house and they don't expect you to make yourself homeless in order to buy food. Even if they did you would starve to death long before you managed to get proceeds from a house sale.

Once you have got cash though you are then expected to use it.

Edited by Lily Rose
  • Happy 1

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's not weird, the Benefit system is not a free-for-all.

The taxpayer pays for those on benefits.

The idea is most people work for forty years, pay tax, get a pension, retire.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer collects the money paid by all taxpayers and distributes it those unable to work. There are variations on this theme of course.

had to laugh at the first line sorry LadyG.... seems the rest of the world think it is thats why they are heading here constantly....

and yes.. i get it.. we paid our taxes right up to last week....

32 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Not really, you can't eat a house and they don't expect you to make yourself homeless in order to buy food. Even if they did you would starve to death long before you managed to get proceeds from a house sale.

this is true...

ok, so far im looking for a NB with a cassette toilet & a trad stern....

maybe semi trad with a pram cover... can you get trads with pram covers or isnt it valid to have one with it only been a short stretch?

and i presume large windows compared to port holes due to letting light in....

Edited by mightyslay3r

On 26/02/2023 at 15:30, David Mack said:

Brandon Sluice on the River Lark and Lode End Lock on the Middle Level are both 40-something feet long. But there is not much navigable water beyond either of them, and both are a bit remote from the main canal network, so you aren't missing much by not being able to go through them.

Lode End Lock is a new lock built when the Pumping station was installed at the south end of Bevills Leam in 1980's. It will accommodate boats up to 20.70m (68'-0") by 3.50m (11'-6") Average depth in summer is 5ft, unless heavy rain is forecasted than the levels are lowered. This section of the old nene is the lowest navigable water in the UK, the mooring at the far end of NewDyke is only a short walk from Holme Post. Which at nine feet below sea level, it mark the lowest land point in England. Once completely buried, these improvised geographical tools became gradually exposed as the peaty earth around them sank 13 feet since 1851.

Horseways Lock on the disuse Forty Foot link to the Old Bedford river is the only lock on the Middle Level that has not been rebuilt (44'x11.5')

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Lode End Lock is a new lock built when the Pumping station was installed at the south end of Bevills Leam in 1980's. It will accommodate boats up to 20.70m (68'-0") by 3.50m (11'-6") Average depth in summer is 5ft, unless heavy rain is forecasted than the levels are lowered. This section of the old nene is the lowest navigable water in the UK, the mooring at the far end of NewDyke is only a short walk from Holme Post. Which at nine feet below sea level, it mark the lowest land point in England. Once completely buried, these improvised geographical tools became gradually exposed as the peaty earth around them sank 13 feet since 1851.

Horseways Lock on the disuse Forty Foot link to the Old Bedford river is the only lock on the Middle Level that has not been rebuilt (44'x11.5')

thanks for that info nbfire... i think once i get accustomed to river/canal maps & navigation all of this will become clear.. but the more info i can keep in the old grey matter or, within forum posts.. the better 👍

3 hours ago, mightyslay3r said:

ok, so far im looking for a NB with a cassette toilet & a trad stern....

maybe semi trad with a pram cover... can you get trads with pram covers or isnt it valid to have one with it only been a short stretch?

and i presume large windows compared to port holes due to letting light in....

Pram covers are not really any use for trad sterns as there is only a tiny bit you gain by covering. I understand the main two points of pram covers are to allow stuff to be stored in the area of a cruiser or semi trad that’s open to the elements. Plus weatherproofing when moving.

For a trad stern boat just pull  the hatch back close the doors if you want stand under an umbrella and you are pretty well weatherproofed. 

Large windows vs portholes are an area of dispute. Roof lights either prisms Houdini hatches bulls eyes dog or pigeon boxes etc in the roof all let in much light combined with portholes. Harder to break in with portholes and whilst you can see out with windows much more others can see in. Also can have a greenhouse effect in sunny weather. There’s much more pros and cons.

Quite a few  boats have both and don’t forget side hatches which allows  added light and air in but close for security or privacy. 

Edited by Stroudwater1
  • Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Pram covers are not really any use for trad sterns as there is only a tiny bit you gain by covering. I understand the main two points of pram covers are to allow stuff to be stored in the area of a cruiser or semi trad that’s open to the elements. Plus weatherproofing when moving.

For a trad stern boat just pull  the hatch back close the doors if you want stand under an umbrella and you are pretty well weatherproofed. 

Large windows vs portholes are an area of dispute. Roof lights either prisms Houdini hatches bulls eyes dog or pigeon boxes etc in the roof all let in much light combined with portholes. Harder to break in with portholes and whilst you can see out with windows much more others can see in. Also can have a greenhouse effect in sunny weather. There’s much more pros and cons.

Quite a few  boats have both and don’t forget side hatches which allows  added light and air in but close for security or privacy. 

I'm an out and out porthole person, they make a boat look like a boat rather than a caravan (😀) and are much more secure. Bus windows might be good for looking out, but are equally good for looking in, and when you are moored on the towpath a lot of people will be looking in. Windows are a big heat loss. Dark is an issue so portholes should be supplemented with glazed side hatches, open in the day, closed at night and when cruising through the bad places.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

55 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

awesome, thanks for that stroud... 

getting an insight in to things from you guys shows the knowledge you all have. thanks for sharing

44 minutes ago, dmr said:

I'm an out and out porthole person, they make a boat look like a boat rather than a caravan (😀) and are much more secure. Bus windows might be good for looking out, but are equally good for looking in, and when you are moored on the towpath a lot of people will be looking in. Windows are a big heat loss. Dark is an issue so portholes should be supplemented with glazed side hatches, open in the day, closed at night and when cruising through the bad places.

so true dmr... it would be like living in a gold fish bowl ....

thanks buddy :)

When I was in UK in the late 60s,everyone with a detached house  had a 'lodger" and there were 'sitting tennants" upstairs,or in the attic ,that no one ever saw ........or am I confusing reality with the last Barry Mc Kenzie movie?

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, john.k said:

When I was in UK in the late 60s,everyone with a detached house  had a 'lodger" and there were 'sitting tennants" upstairs,or in the attic ,that no one ever saw ........or am I confusing reality with the last Barry Mc Kenzie movie?

The attic is where the domestic servants lived, As for the tennants they would have their own cottages on our land.

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

The attic is where the domestic servants lived, As for the tennants they would have their own cottages on our land.

in a coal miners back to back? its not like pride & prejudice my friend lol... 

its worth £100,000 not £100,000,000  😁

Edited by mightyslay3r

1 hour ago, john.k said:

You must have been a Pommy Lord or Earl or something.

My older brother is the current Lord of the Manor, this does mean he has to pay for the upkeep of the Village Green and Village Hall. In my Great Grandfather day, the house still had domestic servants. That was until we were hit by heavy death duties when he died. Much of the Estate land had to be sold off, Some of the heathland were given to the RSPB to reduce tax. The house and remaining land is now held in a  trust. Nowadays the house is rented out and we have one farmer as a tennant. The profits after costs goes in to a Trust fund for the benefit of the family members.   

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

14 hours ago, mightyslay3r said:

That's right. You can own a million £ house and a Ferrari but have less than £16K in the bank and still get benefits, but if you live on a £40K boat and have over £16K in the bank you can't.

I realise there has to be a cut off in benefits in terms of the fluid assets of claimants, but the problem is that in some cases the system rewards fecklessness. If you've been responsible, worked hard and saved money which happens to be in the bank, but then you fall on hard times you're not eligible for benefits until you've spent that money and gone under the limit, while if you've blown all your money on drugs, booze or gambling you can throw yourself on the state and get the taxpayer to support you.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I keep getting the horrible feeling that this move to a boat at all costs and selling the only asset, the house, for a ridiculously low price, is certain to end in tears.

im not taking the offer of £50k .... i'd be mad to....

its going on the market ... :) 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

That's right. You can own a million £ house and a Ferrari but have less than £16K in the bank and still get benefits, but if you live on a £40K boat and have over £16K in the bank you can't.

I realise there has to be a cut off in benefits in terms of the fluid assets of claimants, but the problem is that in some cases the system rewards fecklessness. If you've been responsible, worked hard and saved money which happens to be in the bank, but then you fall on hard times you're not eligible for benefits until you've spent that money and gone under the limit, while if you've blown all your money on drugs, booze or gambling you can throw yourself on the state and get the taxpayer to support you.

yeah.. most of the people on this estate are the later of your comment... the wife & I have worked all of our lives... 

built a small empire but nothing in the bank to show for it... sucks how it works.....

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

You didnt realy Alan, you still run/ran a business, thats called going to work :)

No I just play boats and 'sit back' and take the money it runs itself via the 'residents commitee'. All I have to do is meet with the Accountants and sign off the accounts each year.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

No I just play boats and 'sit back' and take the money it runs itself via the 'residents commitee'. All I have to do is meet with the Accountants and sign off the accounts each year.

Yeah, but honestly, many people actualy call that going to work lol, just think of such as being a labour MP ;)

• Happy 1