Hi All

mightyslay3r

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I do find these "sell house to buy a boat" threads, which crop up regularly, make for interesting reading. I don't normally comment in them but I stuck my oar in, in good faith, on this one. It seems you didn't like what I had to say, which is fair enough, but at least you haven't gone off in a huff, which is what often happens when people receive opinions they don't like on here. It seems you have already made your decision so I wish you well and hope it all works out for you and your family.

Clearly there is much you need to learn about buying a boat to live on and then making a success of it so hopefully you will stick around to take the views of people who are doing it now and those who have done it successfully in the past. Some will have found it didn't work out for them but they are unlikely to be on here to tell their story.

I doubt if I will have anything useful to add from now on as my boating experience is totally different to yours so I'll probably bow out although I will continue to follow this thread with interest.

Good luck with it all.

Boating forums on Facebook are the same, often they hve already ordered the boat to discover no moorings where they want to be, or to expensive. Often they have bought a widebeam but never been in a boat other than at Crick! I have had a couple on my boat for a cruise that were in that boat literally and were dismayed when I told them that they couldnt have a boat on that canal as it was a narrow canal. I helped a young Lady on here purchase a widebeam new, and she did things right, nice mooring near London and sailed her boat down south to a boatyard had it lifted onto a lorry , dropped in as soon as she could and cruised to he destination, some get it right some get it wrong its their choice all we can do is provide help, positive help.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Boating forums on Facebook are the same, often they hve already ordered the boat to discover no moorings where they want to be, or to expensive. Often they have bought a widebeam but never been in a boat other than at Crick! I have had a couple on my boat for a cruise that were in that boat literally and were 

thanks Peter... but we are sticking with the narrow so can adventure when required, i think a wide wouldn't let us venture to where we wanted eventually.

having said that, i really appreciate all the comments

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mightyslay3r said:

thanks Peter... but we are sticking with the narrow so can adventure when required, i think a wide wouldn't let us venture to where we wanted eventually.

having said that, i really appreciate all the comments

You are asking questions first which is the right way of doing things. Many years ago I bought my boat fortunately it was a few months before I could actually collect it as it was a share boat and still in use, this gave me time to find moorings and learn more about boating 

• Happy 1

With regards to toilets, Pumpout facilities are getting few and far between and are hit and miss if working, prices are going up to £20-£25, with 3x on board you can quickly fill the tank. Forget about composting, once again with 3x people will fill quickly and getting rid has become an issue. People are now removing them from their boats. Your best off with a Thetford cassette with 3x cassettes, far easier to dispose of. The Thetford C263 with ceramic bowl seams to be the popular choice for women.

Lots of threads on here about toilets, use the search engine, saves a lot of time and it’s normally the same answers/responses. 

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Your best off with a Thetford cassette with 3x cassettes, far easier to dispose of.

Yep, that's our arrangement. We try to stick with using 2 and keep the 3rd under the bed to bring out only in case of emergency. Hasn't been needed yet but we've come close due to blocked Elsans. That's for 2 of us and leisure use though, not 3 liveaboards.

• Happy 1

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

With regards to toilets, Pumpout facilities are getting few and far between and are hit and miss if working, prices are going up to £20-£25, with 3x on board you can quickly fill the tank. Forget about composting, once again with 3x people will fill quickly and getting rid has become an issue. People are now removing them from their boats. Your best off with a Thetford cassette with 3x cassettes, far easier to dispose of. The Thetford C263 with ceramic bowl seams to be the popular choice for women.

Lots of threads on here about toilets, use the search engine, saves a lot of time and it’s normally the same answers/responses. 

By the time you have read all the treads on toilets you will be too old to get a boat and probably be incontinent anyway. Need to start a thread on nappies. 👍🤣

Just now, Jon57 said:

By the time you have read all the treads on toilets you will be too old to get a boat and probably be incontinent anyway. Need to start a thread on nappies. 👍🤣

Thread's fat fingers. Small phon 

1 minute ago, Jon57 said:

Thread's fat fingers. Small phon 

Phone 🤣🤣🤣

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

yes, cassette toilets seem to be the thing it seems... with extra cassettes... 👍

ok, has told here by a number of you....

I put all my details in to a rapid house sale sight last night.. to see what they would offer....

not forgetting on zoopla my property value is £100k - £122k ....

he just rang me & the offer was £55k lol.. told him that didnt cut it has we wasnt "that" desperate....

he said he's going to do some number crunching & get back to me tomorrow....

if i cant sell it instantly, i think the only other 2 options is a "buy to let" mortgage or put it on the market which could take months to sell....

no rush, we can get a vast amount of information on boating that way i guess... 😊😊

Edited by mightyslay3r

18 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

And everyone on them talks cr@p, so give it a miss, just like the drunk and the urinal.💦💦

• Happy 1

38 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

The Thetford C263 with ceramic bowl seams to be the popular choice for women.

The better half very much likes ours compared to the dump through on the last boat, she said she felt she needed stilts to get on it.

The offspring offers no opinion as she hates everything about boats :( and is currently getting her best excuses in place to not come with us on Friday morning, bloody teenagers :D 

• Happy 1

Right, Get a buy to let mortgage, but first check that your house is in a good renting area and how much rent you can expect etc etc.

Relocate to the North Midlands (boats move 😀) and get a 68 foot boat, tell your wife to find a 16hour job somewhere in the North Midlands.

The canals are attractive and pretty, and the locks are narrow and much easier and much lower stress than the big Northern jobbies.

You can easily get to the Macclesfield and Peak forest canals which are both lovely and sort of Northern.

You could also do the L&L from Wigan to Liverpool, some of which is lovely, and when you are experienced and confident could do the Rochdale, most of which has a good train service to Leeds and other Northern places.

Its still a high risk venture but this should increase the odds of success just a little.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

thanks dmr.. we are looking in to it has i type....

its a very good renting area.. most are "to let" around here & being rented... £500 to £650 pcm....

the wife has been on it for a while now.. looking at different options for a total move on the water....

the daughter is trying to source decent sized NB's with cassette toilets lol....

4 minutes ago, john.k said:

Im intrigued what kind of house sells for 50-100-125k?......seriously people pay that much for  car parking spaces here..........forgive me if I havent been paying attention.

well, the rapid house sellers want to give me £55k thinking im desperate.. which we are not.. its not like the house is being repossessed or anything....

but gaining half of the value of the house is nuts ... wish i could make £50k in 1 go lol....

Edited by mightyslay3r

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Composting toilets might be unpopular on here,  but of Facebook groups they are the toilet of choice! It's for the reasons you are saying facilities are becoming increasingly difficult to find, so the composting toilets can outlast them.

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Composting toilets might be unpopular on here,  but of Facebook groups they are the toilet of choice! It's for the reasons you are saying facilities are becoming increasingly difficult to find, so the composting toilets can outlast them.

how do you dispose of the contents of a composting toilet Peter?

besides trebuchet or the mortar 😂

Edited by mightyslay3r

8 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

well, the rapid house sellers want to give me £55k thinking im desperate.. which we are not.. its not like the house is being repossessed or anything....

but gaining half of the value of the house is nuts ... wish i could make £50k in 1 go lol....

A word of warning, I've seen the way these bar stewards work up close. You may not be desperate now but they will manipulate you into being desperate. What happens is they will come back to you with a more reasonable offer which you will think about then accept. You'll both engage solicitors etc and in the meantime you'll plan out to buy a boat or something and get fully committed to it. Then on the day of exchange of contracts they'll call you with some cock and bull story about how the market has moved against you and although they are ready to do the deal, it will have to be at their original offer. Take it or leave it. If you take it the money will be in your bank this afternoon but if you leave it, the deal's off. 

I've been present in an office (fixing the boiler) while such a conversation was conducted. Horrifying. 

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

A word of warning, I've seen the way these bar stewards work up close. You may not be desperate now but they will manipulate you into being desperate. What happens is they will come back to you with a more reasonable offer which you will think about then accept. You'll both engage solicitors etc and in the meantime you'll plan out to buy a boat or something and get fully committed to it. Then on the day of exchange of contracts they'll call you with some cock and bull story about how the market has moved against you and although they are ready to do the deal, it will have to be at their original offer. Take it or leave it. If you take it the money will be in your bank this afternoon but if you leave it, the deal's off. 

I've been present in an office (fixing the boiler) while such a conversation was conducted. Horrifying. 

if he cannot offer more than £80k its off anyway lol.... which i dont think he will with the low first offer...

but i'll heed your warning my friend... im not has thick has i look 😉😉

53 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

We know that Peter composts his properly in several heaps over a couple of years and then uses the compost on his own and friends gardens, all conveniently right next to his permanent mooring -- very green, just like a composting toilet ought to be used 🙂

Of course this isn't possible for the vast majority of boaters -- who mostly used to bag'n'bin before CART banned the practice -- but that's not *his* problem... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

But you’ve still got to get rid of the compost and with 3x people on board it will fill quickly.

The reason that they’re popular is that the people don’t want to see and handle their own waste, that’s it, the majority aren’t composting as the toilet system was designed for.

1 hour ago, mightyslay3r said:

Forget composting toilets, you haven’t got the facilities to use properly, like the majority of people I see that fitted them, when it was a fashion thing. Now I’m seeing these people re-fitting Thetford cassettes.

Edited by PD1964
  • Happy 1

23 hours ago, magnetman said:

I still burn some Columbian doubles now and again. It is real coal and smells like real coal but less dirty than old house coal.

It's all going to be banned end of May  but I'm interested to see if one can still acquire it.

Is it going to be like the drug trade I wonder.

It is called Deprivation of Assets.

It is deprivation of assets if and when you are “in contemplation of care”. If you are fit and well you can do whatever you like with your assets. 

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

It is deprivation of assets if and when you are “in contemplation of care”. If you are fit and well you can do whatever you like with your assets. 

The subject was someone hiding their assets then claiming state benefits rather than an attempt to avoid death duties. 

ETA I did have to check this and it seems the term "deprivation of capital" is more common. However there is a thing where if you give away capital such as houses or money or investments specifically in order to claim means tested state benefits you will be treated as if you still have the assets. 

• Happy 1

Forgive me because there might be a very good reason but I don't understand why you are in such an immense rush about all of this. So called equity release and webuyyourwhatever.com are, as you have already found out, tantamount to daylight robbery and probably should be either banned or very heavily regulated. Normally only used (or more accurately resorted to) by desperate people. As suggested by others, book a couple of weeks on a hire boat for the three of you before you do anything else, please. If, after that, you're all still mad keen put your house on the market. Even if the conman came back and offered you £80k (which he won't) you're literally throwing money away for no good reason...

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

31 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The subject was someone hiding their assets then claiming state benefits rather than an attempt to avoid death duties. 

ETA I did have to check this and it seems the term "deprivation of capital" is more common. However there is a thing where if you give away capital such as houses or money or investments specifically in order to claim means tested state benefits you will be treated as if you still have the assets. 

yeah.. was silly of me even contemplating it to be fair.... you always get caught out so pointless trying...

has i said, i had my monthly melt down and just typed how i felt.. not good sometimes lol

11 minutes ago, Crewcut said:

Forgive me because there might be a very good reason but I don't understand why you are in such an immense rush about all of this. So called equity release and webuyyourwhatever.com are, as you have already found out, tantamount to daylight robbery and probably should be either banned or very heavily regulated. Normally only used (or more accurately resorted to) by desperate people. As suggested by others, book a couple of weeks on a hire boat for the three of you before you do anything else, please. If, after that, you're all still mad keen put your house on the market. Even if the conman came back and offered you £80k (which he won't) you're literally throwing money away for no good reason...

not really in a rush.. sorry if it looks that way... i just cant (or couldn't) be bothered waiting for the sale of an house under normal circumstances to take months probably.....

but now i've thought about it.. it will give more time to empty what we should never have hoarded & get it minimalistic :) and also have more time to watch more video's, ask questions & hopefully get for & against answers with explanations like i have already received.. even if the answers arnt what i expect....

its the way the world turns round.... just think.... if it did spin the other way.... the rivers would run the opposite way... back up the mountains then where would all the water be? ah ah.... i always used to confuse my kids with that one 😂

• Happy 1

You could sell the house then buy a nice boat and a Bentley then see what happens and if you need to claim benefits later on you would probably be allowed to because boats and cars are not classes as assets.

This is why you see Mercedes C63 outside blocks of council flats.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Fair

• Happy 1