Hi All

mightyslay3r

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

there is another point i need to cover... due to my daughter being on DWP benefits.. ESA & PIP... how do we go on about that for a postal address? other than a marina....

That’s  what I was getting at but didn’t want to ask too much when I posted before. This all puts another perspective on your requirements.
  You will need an official residential, like the one on the List I linked to at Tinsley £3900 per year plus Council Tax. There are not many around. People will say just use a relative’s address, but not always convenient, especially with claiming benefits. Before you go any further I would be looking at residential moorings in your area, official ones where you get full council status.

Edited by PD1964
  • Happy 1

ok, thanks PD... i'll look in to it....

hang on.... so you have to pay council tax in a marina after paying to live on the water?

so... in effect... if my daughter bought the boat, paid for the mooring in a marina.. she could claim council tax benefit?

Edited by mightyslay3r

3 hours ago, mightyslay3r said:

there is another point i need to cover... due to my daughter being on DWP benefits.. ESA & PIP... how do we go on about that for a postal address? other than a marina....

can she use my sons house address for her post? or is that going to affect benefits etc... i really need to look in to all of this....

Have a look on Gov.uk you can have a correspondence address ie your sons address.

Think of homeless people that get benefits ok

Edited by peterboat

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Have a look on Gov.uk you can have a correspondence address ie your sons address.

Think of homeless people that get benefits ok

thats good if you are working full time i guess...

but when housing benefit & council tax benefit are thrown in to the mix... i dont think it will work bud...

but i'll have a look...

thank you very much

1 hour ago, mightyslay3r said:

ok, thanks PD... i'll look in to it....

hang on.... so you have to pay council tax in a marina after paying to live on the water?

so... in effect... if my daughter bought the boat, paid for the mooring in a marina.. she could claim council tax benefit?

If you live in a rented house you pay rent to the landlord, and council tax to the council, so, if you live in a marina you pay rent to the landlord and council tax to the council.  (and indirectly you also pay money to CRT or whoever supplies the water that you are floating on).

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

If you live in a rented house you pay rent to the landlord, and council tax to the council, so, if you live in a marina you pay rent to the landlord and council tax to the council.  (and indirectly you also pay money to CRT or whoever supplies the water that you are floating on).

ok, i got that now :)

it takes a while for the old grey matter sponge to soak things up lol

and i still cannot pm you dmr 😞 

8 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

You could ask my wife to relay messages to me via the other "forum" that you frequent. 😀

6 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

OK, not sure this information is entirely correct, others will clarify.

Only a few marinas have planning permission for Residential Moorings. As far as I am aware only RMs are liable for Council Tax. Other boater, and there will be many will live under the radar, not paying CT but also not able to claim certain Benefits.

When I stayed at a marina, it was obvious that there were many liveaboards, but I did not pay Council Tax. That marina had parking and metered electricity and had postboxes to receive mail.

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

You could ask my wife to relay messages to me via the other "forum" that you frequent. 😀

good idea :) 

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Only a few marinas have planning permission for Residential Moorings. As far as I am aware only RMs are liable for Council Tax. Other boater, and there will be many will live under the radar, not paying CT but also not able to claim certain Benefits.

When I stayed at a marina, it was obvious that there were many liveaboards, but I did not pay Council Tax. That marina had parking and metered electricity and had postboxes to receive mail.

think im going to go down to the local marina and speak to them tomorrow... just to be sure... 

still planning, but we are going to do this :) 

and also thanks for all of your replies... its really helping us.

Edited by mightyslay3r

27 minutes ago, dmr said:

And if you BUY a house you rent the money from the building society and  pay rent for that, and council tax to the council. So it all evens out in the end. 

the difference being that if your house price goes up you reap the benefit not the money landlord (the BS), and if prices go down you have to fund the drop yourself. If you rent the house the landlord shoulders this risk or benefit and shields you from it, the bastard!

• Happy 1

50 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

thats good if you are working full time i guess...

but when housing benefit & council tax benefit are thrown in to the mix... i dont think it will work bud...

but i'll have a look...

thank you very much

My better half works for DWP which is why she says check out the site ok

• Happy 1

Please take this as constructive... we do get a lot of folks who buy a boat then find it costs many thousands to get it safe and habitable to reasonable standards or decide its the life for them but with no actual experience.

Please do keep asking questions and read the countless posts from new owners.

I would really really recommend hiiring a few times. Try a few different boat lengths and styles and in some different parts of the country.

We were very lucky and some good friends used to lend us their boat when they went on holiday and that helped us decide what we did and didnt want. Coupled with quite a few hire boat holidays we had a fair idea what we were doing but even so the new boat owner learning curve is very steep....  and that was only for a holiday boat not a liveaboard...

• Happy 1

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, there’s the official Residential Moorings and often you will get others taking the pi$$ living on their boats and this often causes confrontation with both parties. Official residential will have all the benefits, so no need to hide under the radar which makes claiming for benefits, doctors/dentists much easier. If it’s an official residential, registered with the local council, paying Council Tax, it will be like a house and your daughter will be able to claim as far as I’m aware. If it’s not it could get complicated and cause trouble for you and the Marina operator.

My Marina has got people under the radar, but no-one is claiming benefits, the Marina operator makes it clear that no-one can claim or they will be out, everyone knows this and adhere’s to it. If you said you were claiming benefits you would not be offered a mooring.

Where are you looking to moor?

18 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Please take this as constructive... we do get a lot of folks who buy a boat then find it costs many thousands to get it safe and habitable to reasonable standards or decide its the life for them but with no actual experience.

hi Jonathan... i fully understand owning & renting properties, which is said the same for boats etc....

we wont be going in to this half hearted.. we really want to do this.. and on the sale of our house (hopefully we have got a boat loan then can pay it off) we will have the capital to sustain many years boating....

we've wanted to do it for many years, but with my wife working full time it wasnt practical.... now she is a 16 hr worker...

and now with the cost of living, gas, electric, water & now broadband etc... its becoming a bind.

we just want to get out of the rat race & enjoy life.... together :)

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes, there’s the official Residential Moorings and often you will get others taking the pi$$ living on their boats and this often causes confrontation with both parties.

a marina in Methley near leeds.. full amenities & postal....

and basically talk to the owners of the marina & see what they say?

Edited by mightyslay3r

3 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

hi Jonathan... i fully understand owning & renting properties, which is said the same for boats etc....

we wont be going in to this half hearted.. we really want to do this.. and on the sale of our house (hopefully we have got a boat loan then can pay it off) we will have the capital to sustain many years boating....

we've wanted to do it for many years, but with my wife working full time it wasnt practical.... now she is a 16 hr worker...

and now with the cost of living, gas, electric, water & now broadband etc... its becoming a bind.

we just want to get out of the rat race & enjoy life.... together :)

a marina in Methley near leeds.. full amenities & postal....

Methley Bridge, Yes I know it, on the river, make sure you can claim benefits and ask about flooding risk.

Living on a boat is not cheap anymore. Diesel, Gas, electric has all at least doubled in the last year. Make sure you get all the costs, so you have no surprises, as your savings can quickly dwindle.

14 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Methley Bridge, Yes I know it, on the river, make sure you can claim benefits and ask about flooding risk.

Living on a boat is not cheap anymore. Diesel, Gas, electric has all at least doubled in the last year. Make sure you get all the costs, so you have no surprises, as your savings can quickly dwindle.

thanks PD, i dont think we will be moving out of the marina for a few months.. trying to get everything organised etc... and trying to stay green.. not using electic hook up etc.. solar panels all the way :)

but understand your concern bud.. thanks

• Greenie 1

The advice to rent one for at least a week is quite important. I met one bloke not long ago struggling singlehanded down a flight who, with his wife, had just bought a boat to live on and were expecting to rent their house out. After two days the wife had found the low roof claustrophobic, got the bus and gone home leaving him to get the  boat somewhere and presumably sell it.

I've always test run my wives and girlfriends through a boat trip before attempting permanence...

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The advice to rent one for at least a week is quite important. I met one bloke not long ago struggling singlehanded down a flight who, with his wife, had just bought a boat to live on and were expecting to rent their house out. After two days the wife had found the low roof claustrophobic, got the bus and gone home leaving him to get the  boat somewhere and presumably sell it.

I've always test run my wives and girlfriends through a boat trip before attempting permanence...

I met an American woman in Braunston, travelled all that way for a canal holiday and day one couldn't stand it, spent the rest of the time just walking the towpath. Some people cant stand the motion, my daughter is like that.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

18 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

“That’s why I’ve only had one boat, but four wives and nine girlfriends in the last 20 years and I’m currently single with eleven Trombones” said Arthur😂👍🎺🎺

Edited by PD1964
  • Haha 2

my wife is more than enthusiastic about living on a boat... we've been on many boat trips out at sea & has i explained.. the water isnt choppy like the sea... 

my daughter is going to give it a try for a few months, if it isnt for her will move in with her brother & sister-in-law....

but my wife & I are adamant this is the life we want... even spoke about selling the house out right... renting incurs repair costs etc.....

we want to live a simple life with nice neighbours & make good friends....

totally different from cars screeching in to the street, drugies on the corner etc....

1 hour ago, mightyslay3r said:

and trying to stay green.. not using electic hook up etc.. solar panels all the way

Get that thought out of your mind - that is a totally unrealistic aim - you may get enough solar on a Narrowboat to see you thro' the Summer months but the 4 or 5 months of late Autumn, Winter and Early Spring will require you to run the engine (frowned on in a marina), run a generator (frowned on in a marina) or plug into the shoreline and get your mains electric from the Marina.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Get that thought out of your mind - that is a totally unrealistic aim - you may get enough solar on a Narrowboat to see you thro' the Summer months but the 4 or 5 months of late Autumn, Winter and Early Spring will require you to run the engine (frowned on in a marina), run a generator (frowned on in a marina) or plug into the shoreline and get your mains electric from the Marina.

mmm, true... but i shouldnt have to hook up to electric through the summer months (7 months) which should be a massive saving compared to mains electric in a house i would have thought...

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

To expand on this - 1kw of solar and 200ah of lithium batteries will provide all the power you need from mid Feb until November. It'll also be enough to use an electric kettle and toaster for probably 5 of those 8 months; I've just dusted off mine.

(when I say all the power you need, that's living in off grid mode - no TV, Xbox, desktop PC, electric heaters etc. My usage in winter is around 1kwh a day.)

However, the solar yields in winter are low, even if your marina has no trees or building blocking sunlight. You'll need to plug into the marina power for the remaining 4 months as Alan said, like it or not. From 1kw of panels, you'll average 0.3-0.4kwh per day; compare this to summer, when it's nearer 10 times that.

4 minutes ago, mightyslay3r said:

mmm, true... but i shouldnt have to hook up to electric through the summer months (7 months) which should be a massive saving compared to mains electric in a house i would have thought...

Not really marinas are commercial electric which often cost more than domestic, they also have a green levy to contend with if usage is to high 

3 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

To expand on this - 1kw of solar and 200ah of lithium batteries will provide all the power you need from mid Feb until November. It'll also be enough to use an electric kettle and toaster for probably 5 of those 8 months; I've just dusted off mine.

(when I say all the power you need, that's living in off grid mode - no TV, Xbox, desktop PC, electric heaters etc. My usage in winter is around 1kwh a day.)

However, the solar yields in winter are low, even if your marina has no trees or building blocking sunlight. You'll need to plug into the marina power for the remaining 4 months as Alan said, like it or not. From 1kw of panels, you'll average 0.3-0.4kwh per day; compare this to summer, when it's nearer 10 times that.

5kws does all my needs from late January until early December