C&RT License Survey

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

When the canal system topples over and the guvvermint fails to step in, I’ll take my boats back onto the Thames where they charge a viable fee to use the waterway. Its been nice getting my boating on the cheap for a while. Thanks Mr Parry. 

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

When the canal system topples over and the guvvermint fails to step in, I’ll take my boats back onto the Thames where they charge a viable fee to use the waterway. Its been nice getting my boating on the cheap for a while. Thanks Mr Parry. 

Well somebody who can afford a house and more than one boat is not going to be put off by a steep hike in the licence fee are they?

Has anybody met a poor plumber/gas safe engineer/vet or undertaker?

No? Me niether.

8 hours ago, Midnight said:

That's the rub!
As Arthur said it won't be the cost of licenses that finish the canals it will be the lack of cruisable waterways. Here in Yorkshire we already know what the future looks like under Mr Parry. 

Eeeeek! 

Well there's the Trent now that anchors are on the must-have list. It's getting to it that may be a bit tricky.

Yep just needs a longer extension lead as well.🤨

9 hours ago, M_JG said:

Well somebody who can afford a house and more than one boat is not going to be put off by a steep hike in the licence fee are they?

Has anybody met a poor plumber/gas safe engineer/vet or undertaker?

No? Me niether.

Yes I have met a poor gas safe engineer. Left me with a dry joint that leaked. Have never let a gas man on the property since. 

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

That's the rub!
As Arthur said it won't be the cost of licenses that finish the canals it will be the lack of cruisable waterways. Here in Yorkshire we already know what the future looks like under Mr Parry. 

Eeeeek! 

Well there's the Trent now that anchors are on the must-have list. It's getting to it that may be a bit tricky.

The escalating rate of unplanned stoppages is what is slowly strangling the system, and it's not obvious what will/can be done about it -- at least, by the current government who seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing... 😞

P.S. Not surprised to see a quote from the usual suspect about me being daft. Not going to wrestle in the mud with him, or point out that his postings rather suggest the daft boot is on the  other foot. Oh dammit... 😞

I sold up last November, had a great seven years on the cut, i am glad i did now due to the rising costs not just on the cut but at home, would have been a struggle and hard to justify the cost of owning a boat just to use every other weekend and a couple of weeks a year.

Plus i sold for a lot more than i paid for it!

10 hours ago, M_JG said:

Maybe a person such as the theoretical example you describe with more than one boat and  a house is careful how they spend  money which might explain  why they have been able to acquire the assets in the first lace and such a person could easily be ''put off'' by unreasonably high increase in license fees.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Maybe a person such as the theoretical example you describe with more than one boat and  a house is careful how they spend  money which might explain  why they have been able to acquire the assets in the first lace and such a person could easily be ''put off'' by unreasonably high increase in license fees.

The money spent on a licence is the money you would spend on a holiday anyway, and no doubt holidays will be going up in cost

37 minutes ago, IanD said:

P.S. Not surprised to see a quote from the usual suspect about me being daft. Not going to wrestle in the mud with him, or point out that his postings rather suggest the daft boot is on the  other foot. Oh dammit... 😞

That's right Ian. Keep 'ignoring' me. 

Strange how you assume everything is all about you.

11 hours ago, M_JG said:

Im just glad i'm not in the process of having a very very expensive boat built for the uk canals and waterways, (dont forget your anchor).

Surely nobody would be so daft in the current climate.?

There must be lots of daft people coming onto the Canals then from what I’m seeing in the Yard. Never seen it so full with new very very expensive boats. Even the person's your having a little dig at,

Edited by PD1964

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

There must be lots of daft people coming onto the Canals then, from what I’m seeing in the Yard. Never seen it so full with new very very expensive boats.

Something I don't deny. Probably a hangover from lockdown orders now turning into actual builds. It's not an investment I would be making. 

Just now, M_JG said:

Something I don't deny. Probably a hangover from lockdown orders now turning into actual builds. It's not an investment I would be making. 

Like you I think they must be a little daft, there’s no way I would buy a £250K-£300K Narrowboat. Would much rather buy a £80k boat, a little place abroad and still have enough left to pay the mooring fees and license. A lot of these expensive boats are for 1st time buyers too.

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

There must be lots of daft people coming onto the Canals then from what I’m seeing in the Yard. Never seen it so full with new very very expensive boats. Even the person's your having a little dig at,

I wonder what colour MJGs eyes are -- green, perhaps? Or maybe red, according to Chinese and African views? 😉 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

I wonder what colour MJGs eyes are -- green, perhaps? Or maybe red, according to Chinese and African views? 😉 

No blue mate.

(That's right - keep on ignoring me Ian.)

6 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Like you I think they must be a little daft, there’s no way I would buy a £250K-£300K Narrowboat. Would much rather buy a £80k boat, a little place abroad and still have enough left to pay the mooring fees and license. A lot of these expensive boats are for 1st time buyers too.

That's your personal choice and opinion, which you are of course perfectly entitled to -- though I could call you daft, I'll resist... 🙂

Mine is different, because I want a boat that exactly suits me not somebody else, I'm fortunate enough -- though many aren't! -- to be able to afford it, and I don't want a little place abroad -- or in Wales or Cornwall -- to push up house prices out of the reach of locals.

At least it puts a big chunk of money into the UK boatbuilding industry and helps to keep it alive, unlike buying a secondhand boat... 😉

Edited by IanD

12 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Well given Ian claims to have hired extensively prior to buying a boat I suppose it's not as daft a decision as somebody who has only hired once or twice and then made such an investment in a (depreciating) asset.

I bet not all have though - or even never hired at all.

Just now, IanD said:

I think the Canals wasn’t for him a few year ago, as I say if I had the sort of money that these boats cost I would buy a nice 2nd hand tug and a little place in the sun. Then again there’s only me unlike yourself who’s buying a family use boat, so different circumstances and priorities.

Just now, PD1964 said:

I think the Canals wasn’t for him a few year ago, as I say if I had the sort of money that these boats cost I would buy a nice 2nd hand tug and a little place in the sun. Then again there’s only me unlike yourself who’s buying a family use boat, so different circumstances and priorities.

Precisely 🙂

11 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Funny you should say this but me an Mrs. M_JG were chatting the other night and discussed the potential of selling up and buying a boat up to about £100K and then buying something in France with the remaining balance.

Then we started to come to our senses and realised it wouldn't be that good an idea given all the reasons we sold up in 2015.

Just now, IanD said:

Precisely 🙂

Exactly, I can see both sides and it’s horses for courses, having lived on my boat the last 13 year, I personally wouldn’t spend that much to get on the Canals and wouldn’t buy new as I just don’t need it for my lifestyle.

20 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Exactly, I can see both sides and it’s horses for courses, having lived on my boat the last 13 year, I personally wouldn’t spend that much to get on the Canals and wouldn’t buy new as I just don’t need it for my lifestyle.

I wasn't even considering doing this even a few years ago, I had a vague idea of maybe getting a boat (or a share in one) after retiring (still some years away...), and carrying on hiring for canal holidays in the meantime -- and in the meantime, spent a lot of time worrying about things like how my kids were ever going to be able to afford somewhere decent to live.

Due to changes in work and personal circumstances -- including the death of my mum during Covid lockdown, not something I would wish on anybody -- I found myself able to help my kids out, and after a couple of not-so-great hire holidays I decided to get a new boat built exactly as I wanted it and enjoy it instead of waiting for years. It makes no financial sense at all, but I'd rather do this than spaff the same amount of money on a flashy car or house or second home, or have it sit there gradually rotting away in a bank account doing nobody any good... 😉

And before the usual suspects pipe up "Oh look, another rich shiny boater banging on about how much better he is than us!" -- nope, I'm not better just fortunate, and if not a single person ever looks enviously at my boat I'd be more than happy (it's one reason I drive a Skoda) -- I seriously thought about getting a deliberately scruffy paint job, but don't think Ricky would have put his name to it... 😉

Edited by IanD

17 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Funny you should say this but me an Mrs. M_JG were chatting the other night and discussed the potential of selling up and buying a boat up to about £100K and then buying something in France with the remaining balance.

Then we started to come to our senses and realised it wouldn't be that good an idea given all the reasons we sold up in 2015.

I definitely wouldn’t sell my house to do it, being out this year was the busiest I’ve seen it with moored boats and new boaters, some with brand new boats others with 2nd hand and a larger increase in GRP’s. Things change with time and Canal life is changing with the economic climate we’re living in at the minute.

31 minutes ago, IanD said:

I wasn't even considering doing this even a few years ago, I had a vague idea of maybe getting a boat (or a share in one) after retiring (still some years away...), and carrying on hiring for canal holidays in the meantime -- and in the meantime, spent a lot of time worrying about things like how my kids were ever going to be able to afford somewhere decent to live.

Due to changes in work and personal circumstances -- including the death of my mum during Covid lockdown, not something I would wish on anybody -- I found myself able to help my kids out, and after a couple of not-so-great hire holidays I decided to get a new boat built exactly as I wanted it and enjoy it instead of waiting for years. It makes no financial sense at all, but I'd rather do this than spaff the same amount of money on a flashy car or house or second home, or have it sit there gradually rotting away in a bank account doing nobody any good... 😉

And before the usual suspects pipe up "Oh look, another rich shiny boater banging on about how much better he is than us!" -- nope, I'm not better just fortunate, and if not a single person ever looks enviously at my boat I'd be more than happy (it's one reason I drive a Skoda) -- I seriously thought about getting a deliberately scruffy paint job, but don't think Ricky would have put his name to it... 😉

At least you’ve had experience hiring and been on the canals and it’s really no ones business how you spend your money as long as your happy. Looking at some of the boats it’s obvious that others haven’t done much boating or they’re destined for Marina life. Can’t understand why some would want a boat without a rope centre eye. Useful for controlling your boat in a variety of situations on the Canal, they seam to want an extra solar panel instead or a skylight.🤷‍♂️

Look forward to seeing your boat on the water, had a good look at it the other day, including your rudder, looks neat.👍

Edited by PD1964

35 minutes ago, IanD said:

But reading your posts you are very self opiniated and believe that your design is better then every one else's.  Just read your propellor thread. Your front access thread. You even had to start a thread on use of anchor in an emergency to justify to yourself that you have done it right.

• Greenie 1