Pregnant On The Canals

ChrisRichmond94

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, ChrisRichmond94 said:

Hello, 

I'm working on a project for Channel 4 about people who live and work aboard the canals of the UK, and we'd love to feature a story about someone who is pregnant living aboard the canals. If this is you or you know anyone please send me a message for more info! 

Chris 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your post.

One couple I can think of run a Youtube channel named "Holly - The Cafe Boat". They document their life aboard as a young family with a baby. As the name suggests, they run a cafe boat and travel the canal network. We feature their videos on here from time to time. 

If you go to their Youtube page linked below you can obtain their email address. I don't know them personally but they might be willing to participate. 

https://www.youtube.com/@HollyTheCafeBoat/about

Out of interest, what's your documentary going to be called? Will keep an eye out for it. :) 

Edited by RichM
spellings
  • Greenie 1

I remember reading a discussion in one of the magazines years (decades?) ago. One woman said that her midwife had taken one look at the boat and announced that a boat was no place to have a baby, and that if the family didn't move ashore she would get social services involved on grounds of neglect or whatever. This prompted another woman to tell of the time she had been pregnant and living in a narrowboat back cabin, and when the middle-aged Irish midwife came round she stuck her head inside and said "Its just like me Mam's old cabin in Ireland" and everything was fine.

I wonder if the OP will find the same range of attitudes today.

Our three were conceived on two different narrowboats, much more in channel 4's line I'd have thought.

We moved onto dry land after the first two when Mrs. Bee refused to countenance a hammock in the engine hole for no. three.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, RichM said:

I can only imagine what poor ole' Chris must think when he arrives at his desk at Channel 4 HQ tomorrow morning, seeing all this drivel...

Probably, thank fark for biscuits, without whom his thread would likely have drifted into oblivion. 

At least this way it keeps the thread current, and more likely to be visible to someone who may have some info. 

However, as this place is mainly inhabited by men over the age of 65,none of whom are likely to be pregnant (except Mr biscuits), the OP may be better trawling the sacred pages of Facebook. 

I suspect they have done that too. 

Edited by rusty69

16 minutes ago, RichM said:

I can only imagine what poor ole' Chris must think when he arrives at his desk at Channel 4 HQ tomorrow morning, seeing all this drivel...

There is one on FB getting a pasting at the moment as well. Living on a boat because you cant afford a house.

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

However, as this place is mainly inhabited by men over the age of 65,none of whom are likely to be pregnant (except Mr biscuits)

It wasn't me for the avoidance of doubt. 

I reckon Alan De E is the father. Or it might be Mrs Biscuits.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RichM said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your post.

One couple I can think of run a Youtube channel named "Holly - The Cafe Boat". They document their life aboard as a young family with a baby. As the name suggests, they run a cafe boat and travel the canal network. We feature their videos on here from time to time. 

If you go to their Youtube page linked below you can obtain their email address. I don't know them personally but they might be willing to participate. 

https://www.youtube.com/@HollyTheCafeBoat/about

Out of interest, what's your documentary going to be called? Will keep an eye out for it. :) 

They are a nice couple....

There are still many around of the born & raised canal working boat ladies who gave birth to their children aboard working boats & ignored the set days of rest after & where back working the next day . my Nan was in labour with the boat stuck in the bottom of Black Jacks lock whilst waiting for the waterways van to arrive & fix the gate .A local midwife off the bank arrived to help with the birth (sent for by the landlady of the pub) Nan shouted if she so much as steps on my boat i will knock her in the cut . Shortly after a lady who was from an old working boat family & living in the lock cottage arrived. You see a lot of the old working folk had very strong superstitions & one was children are only helped into this world by their own sort .

• Greenie 3