Coventry Canal Bridge 64 Now Open

cuthound

Featured Posts

Great news 

Went through the pipe bridge in Nuneaton today (in theory closed until March 12; in practice I reckon the third party might not have started yet, but I don't think they'll close it for long). So majority of the canal now open (not sure if they've finished at Mancetter yet, but due to open Monday?)

8 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Great news 

Went through the pipe bridge in Nuneaton today (in theory closed until March 12; in practice I reckon the third party might not have started yet, but I don't think they'll close it for long). So majority of the canal now open (not sure if they've finished at Mancetter yet, but due to open Monday?)

I would say there is a weeks work at the most, scaffold, blast  2 coats of paint , remove scaffolding. Its only 30 foot of pipe after all.

19 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Great news 

And to think we rushed a little bit to get through there before the closure! Hawkesbury Junction has been a treat to spend some time at though. 

29 minutes ago, jet_ said:

And to think we rushed a little bit to get through there before the closure! Hawkesbury Junction has been a treat to spend some time at though. 

do you use the boozer?

what’s it like in the winter regards boaters do you get many in?

and has it generally been busy on the moorings or does it go real quite?

just curious, I’ve only stopped over that way in the warmer months when it’s busy as hell in the pub. 
 I like their Bass beer. 

11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

do you use the boozer?

what’s it like in the winter regards boaters do you get many in?

and has it generally been busy on the moorings or does it go real quite?

just curious, I’ve only stopped over that way in the warmer months when it’s busy as hell in the pub. 
 I like their Bass beer. 

Yeah, they have good food and rotating guest ales which is nice. It's very busy almost all the time it seems, especially when the sun's out. There's permanent moorings here so quite a few boaters use it I think. The 7 day mooring section has been mostly full as long as we've been here and there's a few past those as well (including us).

1 minute ago, jet_ said:

Yeah, they have good food and rotating guest ales which is nice. It's very busy almost all the time it seems, especially when the sun's out. There's permanent moorings here so quite a few boaters use it I think. The 7 day mooring section has been mostly full as long as we've been here and there's a few past those as well (including us).

there’s the permanent moorers other side of the lock too, so good, I’m glad there’s a bit of a community there. 

and of course there’s the service block  (and those bins are ripe for outsiders to use) 

whats it like for shopping and the like?

always thought you’d have to bus it into Cov or Bedworth if no car. 

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

there’s the permanent moorers other side of the lock too, so good, I’m glad there’s a bit of a community there. 

and of course there’s the service block  (and those bins are ripe for outsiders to use) 

There's a little corner shop just across the canal/footbridge in Hawkesbury Village which is enough to get by, not huge but plenty enough for restocking on your essentials, only about a 5 minute walk. Wouldn't necessarily want to be carless here if I had a permanent mooring but more than enough for passing through and staying a couple weeks.

• Happy 1

43 minutes ago, Goliath said:

We've used the Premier corner shop as mentioned above and there is a CO-OP about a mile from the moorings on the Coventry Road, B4113 together with a Garage or two and another small shop.  Fine if its not persisting down and you fancy a stroll. 🙂

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Cov gives me the spooks

It’s a childhood thing

Perhaps I need to face me fears. 😃

Its changed so much in just the past 5 years let alone longer term, only a mile and a half to Tesco 

image.thumb.png.4a8558248b0df0fd5d376cd2fe30ba94.png

Edited by ditchcrawler

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its changed so much in just the past 5 years let alone longer term, only a mile and a half to Tesco 

image.thumb.png.4a8558248b0df0fd5d376cd2fe30ba94.png

We used to moor just down from the bridge carrying Longford Rd. cross the bridge and walk to Tesco.