Cable identification

Adam1991

Featured Posts

Hi all, I have two sets of 12v cables that I can’t identify since I accidentally chopped the ends off with the identifying number. 

In the electrical cupboard the negatives are now wired up in the negative busbar and the positives are not yet connected to the control panel (loose) 

In the cabin the positive and negative ends in which I’ll connect the accessories are just in wagos. 

How can I identify which positive cable is which in the electrical cupboard? 

22 minutes ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi Tracy, how do you do this? I have a multimeter but the confusing part is where I connect the multimeter ends to since the negatives are already in bus bar 

Temporarily short one positive to the negative bus bar with a bit of wire. Go to the other end and with multimeter measure resistance, continuity, between  both the positives ( one at a time)  and a negative. One of them will be short circuit, the other open circuit. The short one is the one still connected to the negative bar at the other end.  

On 21/02/2023 at 12:24, Tracy D'arth said:

Temporarily short one positive to the negative bus bar with a bit of wire. Go to the other end and with multimeter measure resistance, continuity, between  both the positives ( one at a time)  and a negative. One of them will be short circuit, the other open circuit. The short one is the one still connected to the negative bar at the other end.  

It might be a good idea to check that the wire you're about to connect to -ve hasn't any voltage on it! Just in case...