Spammers

GUMPY
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, RichM said:

Thanks for flagging. We were indeed hit by a targeted spam attack.

In this scenario the best thing is to report their posts. If enough people do this, the forum system will intervene automatically. It's really important we get spammers off the forum asap. All valid post reports are much appreciated.

That's interesting to know. If someone comments that they've reported spam I've not submitted a report, but I will in future.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Ange said:

That's interesting to know. If someone comments that they've reported spam I've not submitted a report, but I will in future.

Same here. I didn't realise there was any point in reporting spam already reported, but it seems there is!

How many spam reports does it take to get a post automatically hidden, Rich? 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Same here. I didn't realise there was any point in reporting spam already reported, but it seems there is!

How many spam reports does it take to get a post automatically hidden, Rich? 

Yes definitely worth reporting. - We don't make use of automatic moderation tools much because there's no substitute for our moderation team who do a fantastic job - the only exception where we do use automatic moderation tools is where spam/spam attacks are involved due to the potential risk they present to our members and thus the need to act very quickly. (Regardless of whether or not the spam attack occurred at 3PM or 3AM etc)

Unfortunately I cannot really publish exactly how or when the automatic moderation kicks in as I don't want to expose it to misuse. All I can really say is that it requires multiple post reports (i.e. from more than one member) and the member being reported AND the members submitting the report must match a defined criteria. Again I can't post specifics as it's also important to prevent misuse of this. (not suggesting you would personally misuse it however :))

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Ooo a mass reporting of someone's  posts could trigger an auto block 🥴

I must confess that did cross my mind! (Not that I'd partake in such a dastardly action of course 🙂)

54 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Presumably the automatic moderation process will give more credit to an established forum member than to a newbie who has just signed up.

Perhaps that what the new badges are for!

It is set up in such a way to prevent misuse, yes. As such if 500 people reported yourself for spamming, nothing would happen automatically except the mods would be inundated with post reports and probably won't be very amused.

I'm not going to elaborate on it any further as I don't want to give away any info that could potentially allow users to circumvent or misuse it.

The key takeaway is; if you see a spammer please report them

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Ooo a mass reporting of someone's  posts could trigger an auto block 🥴

Only if specifc conditions are met. These won't be made public. I'm not saying any more on this.

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

On 20/02/2023 at 12:49, rusty69 said:

That is correct. It is the section reserved for those with little or no interest in boats. It seems to work quite well though keeping them of of sight of the rest of the forum, though for the life of me, I can't understand why they don't just find a political forum to go and post on.

That's not quite fair - whilst I (for example) post in the politics forum, I do spend at least 3 months a year on the canals (I'm writing this as we pass thru Crick) - and 6 months a year on other types of boats. I also subscribe to all the canal magazines and make the monthly donation to the CRT.

Of course, any other aspersions cast about the politics forum (bunch of argumentative old fools etc) are probably correct! 😀

1 hour ago, Bristolfashion said:

That's not quite fair - whilst I (for example) post in the politics forum, I do spend at least 3 months a year on the canals (I'm writing this as we pass thru Crick) - and 6 months a year on other types of boats. I also subscribe to all the canal magazines and make the monthly donation to the CRT.

Of course, any other aspersions cast about the politics forum (bunch of argumentative old fools etc) are probably correct! 😀

I do apologise. I should have said 'It is the section reserved for those with little or no interest in discussing boats.'🤔

25 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

For those on the forum that are making fun of suspected spambots. In a couple of years time, when the descendents of ChatGPT take over the world, they will remember who you are. Your chances of surviving the rise of the machines is even less than most other meat sacks.

Reminds me of this...

machine_learning_captcha.png

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2023 at 23:06, RichM said:

Thanks for flagging. We were indeed hit by a targeted spam attack.

In this scenario the best thing is to report their posts. If enough people do this, the forum system will intervene automatically. It's really important we get spammers off the forum asap. All valid post reports are much appreciated.

report.jpg.838da998de91094cac3ee679ca5ae8cb.jpg

This will help the mods who do a fantastic job towards keeping the forum a safe & enjoyable place to be.

I have also put in place some other measures to prevent these spam attacks. Unfortunately spammers are always finding new ways to advance their methods to try and circumvent measures put in place to protect against them.

Thanks Richard as always.

• Greenie 2