Cotswold Canals

SteveCourty

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, RichM said:

Great video Steve! I was chatting to my Dad about this lock only a week ago. Unfortunately he is less mobile now but thanks to you he can see it for himself! 

Thanks again

there’s another party next weekend but I doubt I’ll get there, it’s a shame as if permissions are given for plant then it’ll be empty ready for sacffolding. 

Pike lock which is 2 locks up should have the scaffolding removed next week, it’s ready for gates then. 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Another vlog from Westfield Lock

I was just about to share this. He recorded on the same day as me, you may recognise the drone footage as he’s borrowed mine :) with permission of course!

The end of the line on the Stroudwater Canal.

Bridges, Locks, Hydro Plants, Basins and more to see on the end of the Stroudwater on the Cotswold Canals.

Thanks to all my subscribers, there's now over 1K of you! Please click that subscribe button if you don't already.

https://youtu.be/lV0jl0H_nzs

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new type of video for the channel today, a cruising video! That’s a cruise on an abandoned canal that’s in restoration so maybe a first! It’s only a small section but an absolutely beautiful part of the world. Thanks to Cotswold Canals Connected and Cotswold Canals Restoration for throwing a brilliant weekend and thanks to Cotswold Boatmobility for allowing me to film on their boat. They are a great group that offer boat trips on fully accessible boats, please give them a like!

Anyway here’s the video, I hope you enjoy and please do tell me what to change as I have other cruising videos planned. 

On 17/05/2023 at 18:05, SteveCourty said:

A new type of video for the channel today, a cruising video! That’s a cruise on an abandoned canal that’s in restoration so maybe a first! It’s only a small section but an absolutely beautiful part of the world. Thanks to Cotswold Canals Connected and Cotswold Canals Restoration for throwing a brilliant weekend and thanks to Cotswold Boatmobility for allowing me to film on their boat. They are a great group that offer boat trips on fully accessible boats, please give them a like!

Anyway here’s the video, I hope you enjoy and please do tell me what to change as I have other cruising videos planned. 

Thanks, Im not sure it’s a first. I suspect there’s video footage from steam boat and trail boats at the 2012 and 2015 rally’s. IIR the 2015 went to the Ocean but can’t remember if 2012 did so. 

There were some really lovely boats there. 

40 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Thanks, Im not sure it’s a first. I suspect there’s video footage from steam boat and trail boats at the 2012 and 2015 rally’s. IIR the 2015 went to the Ocean but can’t remember if 2012 did so. 

There were some really lovely boats there. 

Oh I’d love to see that, I didn’t know that had happened, do you know if the footage is on YouTube?

Just now, SteveCourty said:

Oh I’d love to see that, I didn’t know that had happened, do you know if the footage is on YouTube?

I couldnt find any with a quick search, its possible that the steam boat association may have some. These were trailed there, along with quite a large number of trailboats in 2012.  I cant recall off hand but seem to remember around 5 steamers, possibly more. 

All my pictures are still on a very old phone, which I really must get round to  download. 

34 minutes ago, IanM said:

Some pictures from the 2012 Stroud on Water Festival 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjzQCPVy

Boats definitely went from Dudbridge to the Ocean and back.

Wow there’s some great photos there of Dudbridge lock being done as well as Ebley wharf, are these yours?

34 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I couldnt find any with a quick search, its possible that the steam boat association may have some. These were trailed there, along with quite a large number of trailboats in 2012.  I cant recall off hand but seem to remember around 5 steamers, possibly more. 

All my pictures are still on a very old phone, which I really must get round to  download. 

I’d love to see them!

13 minutes ago, SteveCourty said:

Wow there’s some great photos there of Dudbridge lock being done as well as Ebley wharf, are these yours?

I’d love to see them!

Oh they are pitiful compared to IanMs, I can assure you. Theres some closer pictures of the steam boats I think. 

1 hour ago, SteveCourty said:

I’d love to see them!

Yes, that's my Flickr account.  There are a load of the Cotswold Canals on there going back to the early 1990's.

Edited to add: I really must update the descriptions!

Edited by IanM

9 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

I need to get on the wey and Arun 

9 hours ago, IanM said:

Yes, that's my Flickr account.  There are a load of the Cotswold Canals on there going back to the early 1990's.

Edited to add: I really must update the descriptions!

Thanks I’ll have a look, flickr is something I started using but I’ve got to get my head around. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m meeting Paul Whitewick this week to make a video (for his channel) so will share when he uploads.

Tonight I uploaded the Perseverance trip boat being the first to reach Stroud brewery in 70 years. The area is being dredged at the moment.

• Greenie 1

I can only go by what I was told but that’s tweaked my interest, I didn’t realise it was abandoned in stages. Was this due to locks etc? An act of parliament in stages or was the official act all in one go and it just fell out of use in sections before hand? The wilts and berks for example was abandoned in 1914 but the Stanley aqueduct collapsed in 1911 splitting the navigation in 2 leading to long stretches becoming useless 

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff Steve. If you had been around approximately 10 years ago you could have walked along the concreted canal bed through Capels Mill. It was an interesting experience and good to see it so busy.

I suspect Ian may have photographed it.

The original line  went through the bridge hole that is now the road. As you mentioned the park was a rubbish dump and if you look closely at the concrete pillars on the left there is much remaining rubbish trapped in the  concrete cylinders. 

Best I can do is this from their website 

image.png.6fcc83106636285738a827e394b1603a.png