Cotswold Canals

SteveCourty

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, SteveCourty said:

Hello all I hope this is ok? I’m a small time YouTuber on canal restoration. A few weekends ago I helped on a dig with KESCRG on Westfield lock on the eastern end of the missing mile. This involved digging things out mainly. Here is my video on it, I hope you enjoy https://youtu.be/HGxubEXzm4w

This is what it was like at the beginning of the year when I was filming down there previously. 

https://youtu.be/M_D71X0mwLI

I’ve also been there this weekend for another dig (not volunteering this time just filming) and will be there again in 2 weeks helping again with KESCRG

Good stuff, thank you. 

One day, the history of individual canal restorations will be written up, and sources like this will be invaluable

(If only James Brindley had had a youtube channel we'd know so much more about the original canal age!)  

18 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

One day, the history of individual canal restorations will be written up, and sources like this will be invaluable

I better get my scanner setup and scan all my old photos then, and also get the super 8 (Old style youtube 😁) film converted.

59 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Good stuff, thank you. 

(If only James Brindley had had a youtube channel we'd know so much more about the original canal age!)  

Indeed. I have videos on loads of canals on my YouTube, if people don’t mind me adding them to posts here I’m happy to do so. 

45 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I better get my scanner setup and scan all my old photos then, and also get the super 8 (Old style youtube 😁) film converted.

Yes please, Get sharing them! I’d love to see them

This is the missing mile which is just across the motorway from the videos above and consists of a large roundabout with 2 bridges which replaces the original (destroyed) lock and bridge. The canal makes a diversion to the river to join up with Westfield lock 

https://youtu.be/DKha1_jy1EU

5 minutes ago, SteveCourty said:

Yes please, Get sharing them! I’d love to see them

This is the missing mile which is just across the motorway from the videos above and consists of a large roundabout with 2 bridges which replaces the original (destroyed) lock and bridge. The canal makes a diversion to the river to join up with Westfield lock 

I did start scanning and posted a few here 

I have loads and need to sort them and scan them.

21 hours ago, SteveCourty said:

Hello all I hope this is ok? I’m a small time YouTuber on canal restoration. A few weekends ago I helped on a dig with KESCRG on Westfield lock on the eastern end of the missing mile. This involved digging things out mainly. Here is my video on it, I hope you enjoy https://youtu.be/HGxubEXzm4w

This is what it was like at the beginning of the year when I was filming down there previously. 

I’ve also been there this weekend for another dig (not volunteering this time just filming) and will be there again in 2 weeks helping again with KESCRG

Many thanks for doing this. :) I have featured your video on our homepage so that more people get to see it.

Will be great when the stretch from Saul Junction finally opens. Has been a long time coming. Hopefully not too long now! I wonder how long, they say 2025-2026 but is this likely?

6 minutes ago, RichM said:

Many thanks for doing this. :) I have featured your video on our homepage so that more people get to see it.

Will be great when the stretch from Saul Junction finally opens. Has been a long time coming. Hopefully not too long now! I wonder how long, they say 2025-2026 but is this likely?

amazing thank you, what page is it?

2 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

I did start scanning and posted a few here 

I have loads and need to sort them and scan them.

The wey and Arun is on my list to visit, I lived in Bordon and Alton as a kid and have family in the area so plan to have a look at the same time as visiting 

This is my original video on the Westfield section which was only January, you can see just how far it’s come in a month and a half. Digging had started but only to really clear the top layer and a little at the lock end to find the extent of the damage from redirecting the stream 

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, RichM said:

! I wonder how long, they say 2025-2026 but is this likely?

When Mrs. Athy and I first joined CCT they reckoned they would have the whole lot open by 2020. As a Mr. Marley so aptly put it, I'm still waiting.

6 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Have they dug any of the new route yet, i have it like this:

image.png.475c74b2a82fa2667cc63df8aa4300f6.png

i have a video called the missing mile which I’m sure I’ve added to this thread above that takes a look at the roundabout and the field next to it. Basically the 2 bridges are there then the next field is going to be a cafe/visitor centre and mooring. There’s digging there but it’s an archeological survey.

The other end of the red line is Westfield lock, the route you suggest is correct with a large winding hole/swept and wide corner for turning I think with some mooring close to the lock to allow boats to turn into the lock. Then a new lock (New Westfield) to drop down towards the river. The canal level will be lower than the river and go through the existing M5 motorway bridge for the river Frome. The reason it’s lower than the river level is for clearance as there won’t be enough height if they drop into the river. 

I’ll have a dig to see if I’ve got plans for any of the above and add them. Give me 10

1 minute ago, Athy said:

When Mrs. Athy and I first joined CCT they reckoned they would have the whole lot open by 2020. As a Mr. Marley so aptly put it, I'm still waiting.

word on the canal is 2025 but I’d expect 2026/27 maybe later 

I’ve tried to take some shots from my video but it won’t let me upload as they are too large. At about 4 1/2 minutes I talk about the plans 

then on this video from 2 weekends ago I fly towards the missing mile right at the end you can see all the land dug up, you can see the dig (12:40) The bottom left of the dig is where the canal will run down towards the river the rest is mooring and a cafe. Somewhere there is a lock as well, the waterway routes maps suggest it’s going to be right by the A38 roundabout 

https://youtu.be/HGxubEXzm4w

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Good grief. What have they been DOING with my twenty-five quid a year?

I know they are having issues with EA in a few places, one issue is flood mitigation on the River Frome. 

• Greenie 1

Oh and buccaneer I didn’t realise it was you, we’ve spoke before and I’ve given you many many shout outs on my videos. Your maps are fantastic, I actually looked first to see what your maps said on the lock but you don’t have the new route so looked at waterway routes instead. 

6 minutes ago, SteveCourty said:

I know they are having issues with EA in a few places, one issue is flood mitigation on the River Frome. 

Thanks.

I was actually joking; when you've been here a bit longer you'll realise that I do a bit of joking from time to time.

I must admit to being an armchair supporter, as I have never actually visited the canal(s). I did go to Stonehouse once, but that was to buy stock from a record dealer there, didn't know about the CCT at that time.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thanks.

I was actually joking; when you've been here a bit longer you'll realise that I do a bit of joking from time to time.

I must admit to being an armchair supporter, as I have never actually visited the canal(s). I did go to Stonehouse once, but that was to buy stock from a record dealer there, didn't know about the CCT at that time.

I’ve only really discovered the canal in the last 6 months. My mate lives about 5 minutes from the missing mile and his dad is mayor of Stonehouse. He knew I was involved with my local restoration (Wilts and Berks) and when I started making videos he pushed me to make one on the missing mile. It’s had nearly 14K views now which is massive for a channel my size and has opened me up to a canal which I absolutely love. It’s an incredibly beautiful area to walk, with the canal the river frome, all the mills and factories it’s a treasure trove for a geek like me! 

• Greenie 1