Advice on base plate pitting

signal32

Featured Posts

Evening everyone. New to boating and currently have an offer in on a 1997 Colecraft built to 10/6/4. Could do with some advise on whether or not to proceed with it.

The previous owner, who had her from new, seems to have taken great care of her with documentation, invoices, and logging of all expenses over the years.

However the more I read up about it, the more concerned I am about corrosion on the hull, particularly to the base plate.

This excerpt comes from the survey:

The base plate was originally fabricated using 10.0mm plate  
(nominal).  
Ultrasonic measurements showed the base plate to be  
between 10.0mm to 8.6mm reducing to 7.5mm at the aft  
outer edges.  
Pitting was widespread at up to 2.1mm.

Is this level of corrosion typical for a boat of this age? The asking priced of £54k seems steep if remedial work may be needed sooner rather than later.

Will follow up with the surveyor on Monday, who didn't make any recommendations relating to this, but keen to get some other opinions too.

For what it is worth, the side plate has some pitting to 1mm and there is currently no galvanic isolator fitted, which I would do before connecting to shore power again.

Many thanks!
Hamish

1 minute ago, signal32 said:

Is this level of corrosion typical for a boat of this age?

My 1998 boat was manufactured with a 13mm base plate, when it was blacked a couple of years ago I had the base plate measured and it was 13mm and there was no pitting.

There is no 'normal' on steel boats when you are disussing corrosion - it depends where the boat is used, it depends if it is kept in a marina and it depends how it is maintained.

A forum members boat went from over 6mm to under 2mm base plate in 18 months.

It is simply 'water conditions'

If it is roughly 2.5 mm pitting in parts on a nominal 10mm base plate of a 1997 boat, and assuming the pitting isn't  to the same extent on  the inside of the hull, or the sides. That gives a rate of 2.5mm / 25 years. So, another 25-30  years, unattended, will see the pitting at say 5mm, leaving good steel to a depth of 5mm. Anything below 4mm thickness may see problems with insuring the thing in 25 years, assuming there are still canals to use in 25 year time.

Assuming this is your survey you have had commissioned, I would ask the surveyors advice, and the subsequent reduction they think you could reduce the asking price by, and make a decision based on that, and then consider using the saved money to have the hull epoxy coated (if  it isn't already) should you go ahead with the purchase.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

Thanks both. My main concern is probably whether the pitting combined with reduced thickness towards the stern would lead to some spots being rather close to the 4mm mark in a few years. Like you say, I will get back in touch with the surveyor and see what they advise.

With regards to epoxying - I've seen others suggest around £3-5k for this. Would that usually have been for the entire hull or just sides?

If by "outer edges" then I would suggest it is situation normal. Boats tend to trim down by the stern, and the outer edges tend to scrape on shallower sections of canal when moored. There is normally a 0.5 to 1" wear flange overhanging the hull. This is mainly to allow for wear when moored against stone/concrete/steel but will also allow for wear on the underside.

Wait to see what your surveyor says with regards to recommendations.  The surveyor is working for you and your paying him to give the best advice. You can ignore his advice and come on here to ask for advice or follow his advice. See what he says Monday and take it from there.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, signal32 said:

Will follow up with the surveyor on Monday, who didn't make any recommendations relating to this

You don't actually state if the surveyor was commissioned (and paid for) by you, the seller, or some other potential buyer that pulled out.

The 'value' & wording of the report will depend on who commissioned it.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't actually state if the surveyor was commissioned (and paid for) by you, the seller, or some other potential buyer that pulled out.

The 'value' & wording of the report will depend on who commissioned it.

Maybe it’s from one those brokers that are getting pre-purchase surveys commissioned prior to the boat going on sale?

Something I would be a bit cautious with.

I thought the OP was waiting till Monday for the Surveyor’s recommendations and the way forward with the measurements just being preliminary findings, but as you say he says “Survey” so surely there should be recommendations and advice?

Edited by PD1964

A 25 year old boat is going to have some pitting, and if its been used some wear at the outer edge is normal, the degree depends to some extent on where and how it has been used.

There are lots of reports of old boats with zero pitting. I suspect they have been kept in special marinas with special water 😀,

If you plan to keep the boat for a while then the cost of shotblasting and epoxy on the baseplate would be justified, but note that lots of yards can't do the baseplate.

The smartarse answer is that pits are no problem till they are 10mm deep, but im not sure about that 😀

Yes good point. The hull survey was commissioned by Whilton from Craig Allen. As a novice this seemed ideal. There are a number of recommendations for Craig on these forums so, while I now see the benefit of arranging one myself, I'd be inclined to trust him.

I contracted him to perform an in-water survey and he was more than happy to answer my questions about the hull survey then and seemed positive about the boats overall condition.

Edited by signal32

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

If it is roughly 2.5 mm pitting in parts on a nominal 10mm base plate of a 1997 boat, and assuming the pitting isn't  to the same extent on  the inside of the hull, or the sides. That gives a rate of 2.5mm / 25 years. So, another 25-30  years, unattended, will see the pitting at say 5mm, leaving good steel to a depth of 5mm. Anything below 4mm thickness may see problems with insuring the thing in 25 years, assuming there are still canals to use in 25 year time.

Assuming this is your survey you have had commissioned, I would ask the surveyors advice, and the subsequent reduction they think you could reduce the asking price by, and make a decision based on that, and then consider using the saved money to have the hull epoxy coated (if  it isn't already) should you go ahead with the purchase.

^^^ My thoughts too. ^^^

Another 70 years and this Colecraft will be totally rusted through. OMG DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!

If the OP wants a boat with no wear or corrosion on the baseplate, best advice is buy a new one.

^^ This-

It’s a decent manufacturer and the pitting isn’t that surprising really especially if as is common the baseplate hasn’t been protected. 

Much the best to epoxy which will be reassuring and should keep things underwater decent for years. You still ought to get it inspected every couple of years though. 

24 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you take it to Debdale Wharf they will grit blast clean, zinc coat and epoxy paint the base plate for a bit over £2000 and give you a 10 year guarantee. Then you can sleep with both arms in the bed.

Think you price is too low. When I had them quote to do a 60ft boat in 2019 it was nearer £4000

35 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Was that JUST for the baseplate because I have a quote for less? Its a few years old but I can't see twice now.

It was for base plate and Hull sides to be blasted, zinc coated and epoxied. As the boat is over 20 years old it would also need a survey which was also in the quote

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How quickly can you walk away ?

They have history in selling boats with a good survey which have sunk on the first cruise by the new owner.(taking the boat home) 

You seem to be saying that Craig Allen is a surveyor who is happy to take bribes from Whilton?

I can only recall the one well used example that you use..... are there actually more than this?

8 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

You seem to be saying that Craig Allen is a surveyor who is happy to take bribes from Whilton?

I can only recall the one well used example that you use..... are there actually more than this?

He has a habit of Scaremongering and provides little if any real evidence, maybe one example if that. But nothing really up to date that would be worthwhile.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

He has a habit of Scaremongering and provides little if any real evidence, maybe one example if that. But nothing really up to date that would be worthwhile.

Yes. Another good example of Alan's love for scaremongering is Post 2 in this thread.

Yes there is ONE example of a boat corroding massively quickly. But it's the only example that we've ever heard of. A statistical outlier.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wrong Wrong Wrong.

Check back there are more.

People will always ask for up-to date proof with your Scaremongering replies, so I don’t know why you don’t add some links to them?

Edited by PD1964

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have done so previously and suggest you go and search for them - alternatively you and your wing-man can just go along living in ignorance.

No, you do this all the time with your stories, as I say at least list some proof before you start slagging Whilton off. I’m sure your wingman will be along soon, with dated stories. If your going to Scaremonger at least have some relevant evidence. Not too hard to ask.