Canal Closure Notices

cuthound

Featured Posts

One of the bridges near to me on the Coventry Canal is causing a navigation closure until the 5th of March.

There is now a queue of 5 boats waiting to go south and 2 waiting to go north.

During my recent dog walks I have spoken to the owners of all of them and none have received email notification of this closure, although I did. A couple didn't know of CRT's closure notification system, but the others all say they are signed up to it for this particular canal, but didn't receive the notification.

So, have they done something wrong or do CRT not always notify those registered of all of the closures for the canas requested?

Not near Hopwas is it? 

We got caught out there many yars ago (late 90s) near the army range in the woods there because the stoppage was listed as on the B&F rather than on the Coventry canal. Something odd going on there with the canal having two different names depending on where exactly you are.

This was in BW days. I remember walking the dogs in the woods there. Quite nice if you can avoid getting shot by soldiers. 

• Greenie 1

There’s a few criteria for notices, can’t remember them all but think its categories like Closures, Events, Notices, something like that. Perhaps if a CRT office bod wrongly categorises the mail and you don’t have all the options selected?

Or sometimes my spam filter takes exception to the odd one, especially if they dump a load at once.

Think i’m signed up for Oxford, Coventry, T&M as most likely routes at minute for us, and Hudds Narrow because its down the road and i’m nosey :D I’m not sure if i got the notice or not, but surely if it was in your cruising plans you’d check the stoppage map as well?

Also i’m sure there will be someone who’ll ignore everything on purpose and plead ignorance for an overstay on a convenient mooring.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Not near Hopwas is it? 

We got caught out there many yars ago (late 90s) near the army range in the woods there because the stoppage was listed as on the B&F rather than on the Coventry canal. Something odd going on there with the canal having two different names depending on where exactly you are.

This was in BW days. I remember walking the dogs in the woods there. Quite nice if you can avoid getting shot by soldiers. 

Not far from hopwas, about 5 miles further south.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

One of the bridges near to me on the Coventry Canal is causing a navigation closure until the 5th of March.

During my recent dog walks I have spoken to the owners of all of them and none have received email notification of this closure, although I did. A couple didn't know of CRT's closure notification system, but the others all say they are signed up to it for this particular canal, but didn't receive the notification.

So, have they done something wrong or do CRT not always notify those registered of all of the closures for the canas requested?

I think it was sent out some time ago, I had forgotten about the Atherstone one and nearly got caught.

15 hours ago, cuthound said:

Did you tell them they wont get passed Atherstone and when that open they are stuck at Nuneaton. 

There’s 3 bridges closed at various times on the Coventry, so it’s closed to through navigation for a month. I do get email notifications and do tend to skim through them, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t get 3 navigation closures on the Cov. Nor even one.

5 hours ago, nicknorman said:

There’s 3 bridges closed at various times on the Coventry, so it’s closed to through navigation for a month. I do get email notifications and do tend to skim through them, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t get 3 navigation closures on the Cov. Nor even one.

I cleaned my email all out in January and have a feeling I knew about it before then, some may have been in the winter stoppage list. I do still have one that came in on January 25

Notices, Canal & River Trust <notices@canalrivertrust.org.uk> Unsubscribe

Wed, Jan 25, 3:38 PM

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Notice Alert

Coventry Canal
Location: Footbridge next to Road Bridge (bridge 36A) Quarry Lane Mancetter, Nuneaton
Starts At: Bridge 36A
Ends At: Bridge 36A
Up Stream Winding Hole: Winding Hole, Atherstone Top Lock to the west.
Down Stream Winding Hole: Winding Hole, Hartshill to the East near bridge 33.

Monday 20 February 2023 08:00 until Monday 27 February 2023 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: 3rd Party Works

When did you run down to Coventry? We left there yesterday morning up to Atherstone and down the flight this morning. It was lucky because I had forgone I had received the email. I couldn't stay in Coventry to long as I would get as fat as a pig on cooked breakfast and Portuguese cakes .

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

When did you run down to Coventry? We left there yesterday morning up to Atherstone and down the flight this morning. It was lucky because I had forgone I had received the email. I couldn't stay in Coventry to long as I would get as fat as a pig on cooked breakfast and Portuguese cakes .

I’m gonna learn to make Portuguese cakes/tarts they are a recent favourite discovery of mine.

😋 

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Ran down there today from Hawkesbury. Only wanted to check the place out to see if it had changed much in nearly 20 years, but could have skipped it (or gone yesterday) if I'd known

Maybe the Portuguese cakes offer some consolation :D 

• Happy 1

16 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Ran down there today from Hawkesbury. Only wanted to check the place out to see if it had changed much in nearly 20 years, but could have skipped it (or gone yesterday) if I'd known

Maybe the Portuguese cakes offer some consolation :D 

How was it? We were headed down there yesterday but opted to turn around about half way from hawkesbury junction to the basin after hitting 2 trolleys, pulling one from the canal and generally not liking the vibe 😅 so we turned onto the Oxford, moored up at the junction and had too many pints at the greyhound 😌

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sigsegv said:

How was it? We were headed down there yesterday but opted to turn around about half way from hawkesbury junction to the basin after hitting 2 trolleys, pulling one from the canal and generally not liking the vibe 😅 so we turned onto the Oxford, moored up at the junction and had too many pints at the greyhound 😌

I saw trolleys but managed to avoid hitting them, so actually an improvement on the shallow patches of the Ashby. Picked up an inevitable plastic bag on my prop, but that only slowed me down a little. There were a bunch of volunteers tidying up the top end of the canal around Hawkesbury, so it's possible they got to some other trolleys before me.

It's not one of the prettiest stretches of urban canal, so your decision to go to the Greyhound may well have been a better one. But to be fair, it's not one of the worst stretches of urban canal, the basin is quite nice, and Coventry has shops.

Plus I got talked into buying Portuguese food :D 

Its the only place where when i've stirred up the silt in reverse, after losing steering when the rudder caught something, that used needles have come bobbing up with the muck :( 

Glad we went to the basin, not high on the priority list for revisiting at the moment though.

Also, which one of you lot just blocked Hawkesbury Elsan?? :D 

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Starts At: Hawkesbury CSF
Ends At: Hawkesbury CSF

Monday 20 February 2023 10:00 until further notice

Type: Advice
Reason: Repair

Original message:

The Elsan only is currently out of use due to a blockage.

Please bear with us whilst we await our contractors attendance.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/24304/hawkesbury-customer-service-facility

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

4 hours ago, enigmatic said:

I saw trolleys but managed to avoid hitting them, so actually an improvement on the shallow patches of the Ashby. Picked up an inevitable plastic bag on my prop, but that only slowed me down a little. There were a bunch of volunteers tidying up the top end of the canal around Hawkesbury, so it's possible they got to some other trolleys before me.

It's not one of the prettiest stretches of urban canal, so your decision to go to the Greyhound may well have been a better one. But to be fair, it's not one of the worst stretches of urban canal, the basin is quite nice, and Coventry has shops.

Plus I got talked into buying Portuguese food :D 

We scraped over a trolley but didn't get anything round the prop. Sorry that sigsegv felt in not safe.