Oh dear... :-(

IanD

Featured Posts

The signs are easy to spot, they are bright blue and clash with everything, not genteel black how waterways signs should be.

Maybe spotting a black sign should get double points....and triple for a BWB sign.

Double for a lock that is not leaking,

Double if you see a duck getting run over by a cyclist?

36 minutes ago, dmr said:

The signs are easy to spot, they are bright blue and clash with everything, not genteel black how waterways signs should be.

Maybe spotting a black sign should get double points....and triple for a BWB sign.

Double for a lock that is not leaking,

Double if you see a duck getting run over by a cyclist?

Quadruple for a duck in a lock, being squashed by a boat, next to a blue sign warning about ducks? 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

Times ten for a lock that is padlocked on a Saturday lunch time, with a notice clearly stating padlocked at  3 pm.

I'm moored on the LL, again!.

Will I be spotted? I'm now overstaying!

I'm not sure what phone number to use, but aparently the call queue is overloaded, so I've been cut off. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Horror 1

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

I went to Cambridge -- trust me, there are morons there too... 😉

I must resist, I must resist....

Just now, rusty69 said:

I went to Cambridge too. The morons on bikes are the worst.

I went to Oxford.

It has a nice Waterstones.

2 hours ago, M_JG said:

I must resist, I must resist....

I went to Oxford.

It has a nice Waterstones.

I can't resist either.  I went to St. Andrews.  Met a few morons, but I believe a couple have been doing quite well for themselves recently.........

(Actually, that's unfair.  Will and Kate were long after my time,)

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Absolute joy to get out at last today, first time this year, even having to cancel our traditional Christmas cruise due to care issues.

We even set off in the dark last night, just because we could. 

20230218_135941.jpg

Ditto for us. Went past Kathy and Matty this morning at 11, very quietly so as not to wake them. They went past our mooring at bridge 46 in the afternoon with a cheery wave from them and the waterskier 😎👹

1 hour ago, Kiwidad said:

Ditto for us. Went past Kathy and Matty this morning at 11, very quietly so as not to wake them. They went past our mooring at bridge 46 in the afternoon with a cheery wave from them and the waterskier 😎👹

We were up, just couldnt be arsed to cruise in the not forecast rain.

The waterskier has carried on to Stoke Bruerne, jumpin the 1st lock, so will not be bothering you again.😜

20 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

I used to have a Austin Cambridge and  a Morris Oxford.🤪

Same vehicle apart from the badge, IIRC.

I never understood why BMC did this. Several of their car models came in both Austin and Morris versions, but not all. There was the Oxford/Cambridge, the Morris Mini and Austin Mini, and (I think), the Morris and Austin 1100 too. I think they stopped doing it when they changed name to British Leyland.

Were there any other identical cars available in both Austin and Morris versions?

Not only Austin/Morris versions but others badged  Riley or Wolseley, albeit with fancier trim and sometimes an extra horsepower or two.

Badge engineering at its beginnings.  Since  developed to the point where a  Volvo may also be a Ford, a Toyota  is also a Citroen or the Audi, Volkswagen, Skoda variations on a floor pan.

N

8 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Not only Austin/Morris versions but others badged  Riley or Wolseley, albeit with fancier trim and sometimes an extra horsepower or two.

Badge engineering at its beginnings.  Since  developed to the point where a  Volvo may also be a Ford, a Toyota  is also a Citroen or the Audi, Volkswagen, Skoda variations on a floor pan.

N

Weren't there Vanden Plas versions too? 

Google says yes there was! 

A fascinating read here: https://www.aronline.co.uk/marques/vanden-plas-story/

image.png.a743dd1414f6731403b78a5a8bec389c.png

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I never understood why BMC did this. Several of their car models came in both Austin and Morris versions, but not all. There was the Oxford/Cambridge, the Morris Mini and Austin Mini, and (I think), the Morris and Austin 1100 too. I think they stopped doing it when they changed name to British Leyland.

Were there any other identical cars available in both Austin and Morris versions?

Some of them were also badged Wolseley or Riley, but they had slight differences.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

That rather depends upon the year of manufacture. The scalloped bonnet Morris Oxford was a very different beast to the Austin Cambridge and derivative line.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Some of them were also badged Wolseley or Riley, but they had slight differences.

Thats what Bengo just said!

I remember the Wolseley and Riley versions having stuff like leather seats and real walnut veneer (lol) dashboards, extra chrome and fancy radiator grills. Often two-tone paintwork too.

And then there was the MG 1300. Had the most powerful of all the A Series engines ever fitted into a vehicle. At 80bhp was a fave to buy from a wrecked car to put into your Mini. Better even than the standard 1275cc Cooper "S"engine which was only 72 or 74bhp, IIRC.