lister ST

knares

Featured Posts

Whats an EXCREATOR...sounds painful..............anyhoo ,its more likely the racks goings thru the pumping units are sticky ........take off the cover and see if there is extensive rust inside gumming things up.................My dumpy with a SL2 was like this after being lost under a bush for 10 years ........after a few hours running it freed up ,and now starts and runs easily.

3 minutes ago, knares said:

hahaha, yes it dose, don't know where that came from

thanks for the info, which cover do you mean, the one opposite the fly wheel

but i still think some of the linkage is missing   

Port side. Upper long plate directly below air cooling outlet box. Throttle cable linkage probably attached to it.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, knares said:

ok guys

this is what i have got

dose it look normal, or is some thing missing

the wire is the stop cable

IMG_0370.png

IMG_0371.png

No it doesn't look normal if your engine is a variable speed model. There appears to be very little movement on the speed control lever. I would only expect to see something like this if it was a fixed speed engine.

1 hour ago, john.k said:

Dont you get extra fuel for a cold start by pulling out the stopper?.........I know you can pull out something for excess fuel..........not that I need it in the blazing heat.

Yes that is correct. Pull the stop lever out and let it rotate in an anti clock rotation. This allows the pumps to open up and deliver more fuel to aid cold starting. It is important that the stop lever is returned to its normal position immediately after start up.

19 minutes ago, knares said:

thanks guys, all my questions answered, now i need to look some where else

the cold start is interesting

All the cold start does is allow the pumps to open up a little more and deliver more fuel. Also some of these engines have plastic cups on top of the ducting and screwed into the inlet manifold. This is another cold starting device. It allows you to inject oil on top of the piston which raises the compression and aids cold starting.

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

And some have a 12v heater element in the induction air intake to aid cold weather hand starting with the decompression levers.

To be fair never seen a heater element in the inlet manifold of an ST engine. Also if the engine is a hand start engine it seems unlikely that 12 volt would be available. But in saying that I could be wrong.

10 minutes ago, Steve56 said:

To be fair never seen a heater element in the inlet manifold of an ST engine. Also if the engine is a hand start engine it seems unlikely that 12 volt would be available. But in saying that I could be wrong.

Mine has, probably an industrial inlet manifold. It's not connected as I have a startermotor. It starts instantly in the winter without any help from de comps ect.