Best boat wash

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, Amphibian Man said:

Hi Folks,

I am still relatively new to the cut and am learning as I go along.

Could anyone advise on the best boatwash? Is there a canal friendly option as I don't want to harm anything.

Thanks,

Traversing Blisworth Tunnel after heavy rain can do a pretty effective job of washing your boat. The water pouring from the ventilation shafts can be like Niagra. :)

31 minutes ago, Amphibian Man said:

Hi Folks,

Could anyone advise on the best boatwash? Is there a canal friendly option as I don't want to harm anything.

Thanks,

May I politely enquire whether you are a real human being poster, or if this is another of the suspected AI threads we've had recently. 

Your use of the term 'boatwash' is intriguing me particularly, as I've never seen it used before on the forum. Do you mean a thing like a car wash? Or products to buy to manual wash your boat? As a new boater I'm surprised you've found yours gets dirty. i never wash mine.

1 hour ago, Amphibian Man said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Lady C said:

If you check the Midland Chandlers website, you will find various options on the market.  My personal recommendation is Craftmaster Carnauba Wash.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your helpful comments 🤔. It's just that the boat roof is covered in a yellowish greenish sort of lichen, moss like stuff. I just want to get rid of it and then continue afterwards just using canal water. BTW MtB, I like the idea of a cruise by boatwash where you sit inside while the boat gets a once over 🤣. I am human.....well I was the last time I checked 🤪

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Traversing Blisworth Tunnel after heavy rain can do a pretty effective job of washing your boat. The water pouring from the ventilation shafts can be like Niagra. :)

Not if you forget to put the exhaust stack with a cutter on the roof - don’t ask how I know!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Amphibian Man said:

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your helpful comments 🤔. It's just that the boat roof is covered in a yellowish greenish sort of lichen, moss like stuff. I just want to get rid of it and then continue afterwards just using canal water. BTW MtB, I like the idea of a cruise by boatwash where you sit inside while the boat gets a once over 🤣. I am human.....well I was the last time I checked 🤪

Usually associated with textured and sand coated roofs. I'd get rid of it with a stiff brushing and wash, then keep it clean. It's only through neglect that moss grows. Use canal water, if not too manky, or not if there's been a fuel spill around. 

1 minute ago, Mike Tee said:

Not if you forget to put the exhaust stack with a cutter on the roof - don’t ask how I know!

I once left the slide partially open when going through Blisworth on our second shareboat. When I went under one of the torrents the tunnel lit up as the torrent of water poured straight onto the inverter, which was located under the rear steps into the cabin, shorting it out.

Surprisingly, one it had dried out it continued to perform perfectly well.

13 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Usually associated with textured and sand coated roofs. I'd get rid of it with a stiff brushing and wash, then keep it clean. It's only through neglect that moss grows. Use canal water, if not too manky, or not if there's been a fuel spill around. 

I find Aldi's Caravan Cleaner and a scrubbing brush pretty good at cleaning neglected  sanded surfaces.

6 hours ago, Lady C said:

If you check the Midland Chandlers website, you will find various options on the market.  My personal recommendation is Craftmaster Carnauba Wash.

Their polish is good as well

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The roof may well have some kind of non-slip finish, and if so an ordinary deck mop may not be up to the job. See if you can find a deck scrubber, a bit like a stiff scrubbing brush but with a handle.  NOT one of the brass wire ones sold for wooden decking.

I saw someone making a very good job of cleaning one using canal water and a battery pressure washer like this, not sure what make he was using

image.png.fe34c30484f624b4bc606e427c7045b8.png

Easiest way to remove green mould etc is Patio Magic spray on and leave and after about a week it will all have gone.

Also works on covers and walls🤔

However be careful NOT to spray it in the water as it's harmful to aquatic organisms.

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Easiest way to remove green mould etc is Patio Magic spray on and leave and after about a week it will all have gone.

However be careful NOT to spray it in the water as it's harmful to aquatic organisms.

As are a number of things sold as "boat washes" when you read the small print on the back label. On one I had you only found out after you unfolded the back label and found the English instructions.

16 hours ago, Loddon said:

But when it rains the product will run I. To the water ? 

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

The best boat wash is plain water 

but sometimes a squirt of this helps 

image.png.ceb4709d5eb5e636ffb4ed0265041a63.png

Or this for oily marks

image.png.8536228c69d0aaefa0096c2cba8bbdbc.png

Not good for then animals in water 

1 hour ago, Feeby100 said:

Disperses all the oil from boats nicely.

PS I did say the best boat wash is plain water 

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

But when it rains the product will run I. To the water ? 

I believe once it has dried it might be inactive and you are supposed to use it with a few dry days following. 

I have only used it on my covers on the drive at home.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1