Humber Barge - free to good home . You want it, you move it (out of the marina)

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Push the boat out: 95-foot Brighton barge going for free — if you can get it out of the marina

The 102-year-old Humber barge 98 is being given away on Boatshed.com to a suitable owner who — crucially — will be able to transport the enormous boat elsewhere. As the listing puts it: “she cannot remain!”

Covering around 320m² (3,444 sq ft) and set over two levels, the barge has a “cavernous interior” with three large, multi-functional spaces, a galley, office area, four toilets and plenty of storage.

Now “one of Brighton’s famous local landmarks”, the barge has had several reincarnations in its century of existence. Built in 1921, it enjoyed a long and industrious career transporting grain along northern England’s waterways – until it was moved south to Brighton Marina in 1996 and converted into a floating Chinese restaurant called The Pagoda.

The restaurant remained afloat until 2016, when the boat was sold and turned into a non-profit community and youth hub by the marina owners. It has been managed by arts and environmental charity O N C A, who moved out of the barge at the end of last year.

“The end of our time on the beloved barge has come much too soon for us,” wrote O N C A in a blog post. “We are deeply grateful to the beautiful boat itself for being a truly magical container for all this magnificent living and learning that we’ve been privileged to experience on and with O N C A Barge.”

They added: “The sale and removal of the Barge will leave a big gap at the marina – and for Brighton overall – in terms of diverse heritage, community and cultural provision.”

Push the boat out: 95-foot Brighton barge going for free — if you can get it out of the marina (msn.com)

One of the rooms on the lower floor (Boatshed.com)

The event space on the boat’s upper floor (Boatshed.com)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

What is a hubber barge?

It is a family of tents - there is the Hubba, the HubbaHubba and the Mutha Hubba

Take your expedition to the next level, minus the excess weight. The MSR Hubba NX 1 Person Tent weighs in at just over 1kg, making it ideal for multi-day hikes as well as wild camping

The Hubba Hubba NX Tent from MSR is a lightweight, three season dome tent designed for fast and light backpacking adventures across the globe.

MSR have designed the Mutha Hubba NX 3 as an inner pitch first tent, it uses a unified pole system (all the sections are joined together) to make pitching fast and simple thanks to the colour coded poles and attachment points. 

• Haha 1

It depends on its condition, whether or not it still has an engine, and that you have somewhere to take it among other things. It says it was afloat until 2016, but doesn't say whether ONCA had to do any repairs or if it has ever been docked for survey and hull painting. Someone who knows what's what could fetch up with a good deal, but someone thinking it would be a cheap home is on a hiding to nothing.

Tam

15 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

It depends on its condition, whether or not it still has an engine, and that you have somewhere to take it among other things. It says it was afloat until 2016, but doesn't say whether ONCA had to do any repairs or if it has ever been docked for survey and hull painting. Someone who knows what's what could fetch up with a good deal, but someone thinking it would be a cheap home is on a hiding to nothing.

Tam

The advert says 

No engine

I would guess its past history as a restaurant could also mean no steering .

7 hours ago, MtB said:

I'd imagine there is something really expensive wrong with it or the marina could take it as a gift, and rent it out to someone to run it as a restaurant again. 

A similar scenario occurred at the marina  where I keep my boat . A former norwegian ferry which had been a bar for years  was sold on condition it was removed.

But a decade later it is still there and in use as a bar/restaurant.

We understand that she needs attention and can provide information to help understand this - an extremely in-depth history and survey/dive surveys in 2010/2011 and a full condition survey in September 2022 describe her exactly as she is and what needs to be done. Please email for copies of information.

https://www.boatshed.com/humber_barge_98-boat-315157.html

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We understand that she needs attention and can provide information to help understand this - an extremely in-depth history and survey/dive surveys in 2010/2011 and a full condition survey in September 2022 describe her exactly as she is and what needs to be done. Please email for copies of information.

https://www.boatshed.com/humber_barge_98-boat-315157.html

The below-the-waterline survey is more than a decade old. So virtually worthless then!

On 15/02/2023 at 14:18, Alan de Enfield said:

Push the boat out: 95-foot Brighton barge going for free — if you can get it out of the marina

The 102-year-old Humber barge 98 is being given away on Boatshed.com to a suitable owner who — crucially — will be able to transport the enormous boat elsewhere. As the listing puts it: “she cannot remain!”

Covering around 320m² (3,444 sq ft) and set over two levels, the barge has a “cavernous interior” with three large, multi-functional spaces, a galley, office area, four toilets and plenty of storage.

Now “one of Brighton’s famous local landmarks”, the barge has had several reincarnations in its century of existence. Built in 1921, it enjoyed a long and industrious career transporting grain along northern England’s waterways – until it was moved south to Brighton Marina in 1996 and converted into a floating Chinese restaurant called The Pagoda.

The restaurant remained afloat until 2016, when the boat was sold and turned into a non-profit community and youth hub by the marina owners. It has been managed by arts and environmental charity O N C A, who moved out of the barge at the end of last year.

“The end of our time on the beloved barge has come much too soon for us,” wrote O N C A in a blog post. “We are deeply grateful to the beautiful boat itself for being a truly magical container for all this magnificent living and learning that we’ve been privileged to experience on and with O N C A Barge.”

They added: “The sale and removal of the Barge will leave a big gap at the marina – and for Brighton overall – in terms of diverse heritage, community and cultural provision.”

Push the boat out: 95-foot Brighton barge going for free — if you can get it out of the marina (msn.com)

One of the rooms on the lower floor (Boatshed.com)

The event space on the boat’s upper floor (Boatshed.com)

Could have sworn I saw that for sale for around £100k recently (with the same GTFO our marina condition) :D

Can't help thinking the cost of removal would be prohibitive. I did some work for the Marina a few years ago and as I recall the exit is straight out to sea so towing won't be a trivial operation, assuming you could find a strong point still capable of taking the load and somewhere else to take it.

Road access as I remember it was via a tunnel so would need careful planning to avoid embarrassment. 

Its been floating in sea water for a long time so it's structural integrity may well be suspect.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Ken X said:

Can't help thinking the cost of removal would be prohibitive. I did some work for the Marina a few years ago and as I recall the exit is straight out to sea so towing won't be a trivial operation, assuming you could find a strong point still capable of taking the load and somewhere else to take it.

Road access as I remember it was via a tunnel so would need careful planning to avoid embarrassment. 

Its been floating in sea water for a long time so it's structural integrity may well be suspect.

Bit like the boat from Gloucester 

11 minutes ago, Ken X said:

This hits the nail one head. Can't reasonably move by road, not safe to move by sea (as is). Albatross

17 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Can't reasonably move by road, not safe to move by sea (as is).

Nah, fill it with lifting balloons so when it floods it won't sink and use a commercial tug to drag it out to sea.

Dunno where you'd want to take it, and you're looking at several hundred thousand quid by this point but it would work - on a calm day!

• Greenie 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Nah, fill it with lifting balloons so when it floods it won't sink and use a commercial tug to drag it out to sea.

Dunno where you'd want to take it, and you're looking at several hundred thousand quid by this point but it would work - on a calm day!

They shifted the Costa Concordia with sponsons. Salvage cost about twice the build cost of the ship, just to take it ot the scrapyard