Trent & Mersey - Stenson Lock 6 closure extended

Francis Herne

Featured Posts

Work on Stenson Lock 6, previously to finish on 17th Feb, will continue until 3rd March.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/22057-lock-6-stenson-lock

This removes the window before the nearby closure of Cow Pasture Bridge 7 from 20th Feb to 17th March, so effectively extends the closure by a month at one week's notice.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/22056-bridge-7-cow-pasture-bridge

Very poor on CRT's part, I've emailed to object to it but don't expect much.

Thank you for your post yesterday. If possible I would like to hear of any response or update. Ta.

On 10/02/2023 at 17:33, Francis Herne said:

Work on Stenson Lock 6, previously to finish on 17th Feb, will continue until 3rd March.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/22057-lock-6-stenson-lock

This removes the window before the nearby closure of Cow Pasture Bridge 7 from 20th Feb to 17th March, so effectively extends the closure by a month at one week's notice.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/22056-bridge-7-cow-pasture-bridge

Very poor on CRT's part, I've emailed to object to it but don't expect much.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

What are they supposed to do if they don't have the resources available to complete the job by the original date...?

What I asked them, assuming the delay at Stenson is unavoidable, was if they can alter or postpone the Cow Pasture Bridge works to maintain the window for passage between them. That would make it a two-week delay instead of a month.

So far as "screw up" goes, they've gone straight from expecting it to be open in less than one week to three (and effectively five). It's possible I'm being too harsh and there's some genuinely sudden and unpredictable issue, but more likely the overrun could have been foreseen earlier so we could plan around it.

Edited by Francis Herne

12 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

What I asked them, assuming the delay at Stenson is unavoidable, was if they can alter or postpone the Cow Pasture Bridge works to maintain the window for passage between them. That would make it a two-week delay instead of a month.

So far as "screw up" goes, they've gone straight from expecting it to be open in less than one week to three (and effectively five). It's possible I'm being too harsh and there's some genuinely sudden and unpredictable issue, but more likely the overrun could have been foreseen earlier so we could plan around it.

Get used to it, it happens quite regularly that stoppages get extended, Never take it for granted a Stoppage will be completed on time. Just life on the canals, the infrastructure gets older, stoppages get more regular.

If there was a backlog of boats waiting at Stensen to go through and they had to be past Cow bridge, then maybe they could give a window of a day to get a convoy of boats through. Last time I was up there, there were quite a few boats at Willington, a couple at Stensen, didn’t seam the worst place to be stuck.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

On 11/02/2023 at 19:41, jeanb said:

Thank you for your post yesterday. If possible I would like to hear of any response or update. Ta.

Credit to CRT for a quick and positive response. I wasn't expecting that!

Stenson reopening is still delayed to 3rd March, but Cow Pasture Bridge will not now be closed.

Thank you for your email and getting in touch with us.  We can understand the frustrations caused with the extension of this stoppage, and this has been taken into consideration by our Construction Supervisor.  Therefore, it has been agreed that the works at Cow Pastures Bridge will now only be a restriction, as opposed to a full stoppage.  So, you may experience delays, but you will be able to get through and will just need to follow advice from those working on site. 

I hope this helps with your journey planning. 

Edited by Francis Herne

2 minutes ago, Francis Herne said:

Credit to CRT for a quick and positive response. I wasn't expecting that!

Stenson reopening is still delayed to 3rd March, but Cow Pasture Bridge will not now be closed.

You just beat me to it- got exactly the same email in response a few minutes ago.

Nice one CRT 🙂

14 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It does beg the question why wasn't Cow Pasture Bridge a restriction rather than a closure in the first place though? 

Exactly. I do wonder how many emails they got about it over the weekend.

At the end of the day its a result though- Ive got a boat wanting to get through either side so there will be two happier owners now 🙂

@Francis Herne

Have you had the next email yet?

Best hang fire on that good news for another week.

Further assessments have been carried out by the team on site and due to H&S, they need to double check logistics before confirming how passage for boats may work while this stoppage is taking place.  We are hoping that narrowboats will be able to be assisted through and this will be confirmed next week. The team are optimistic that this can be done.

I haven't yet had that email. Still sounds reasonably positive.

EDIT: I received a slightly different version:

We have just had a catch up with the site supervisor and some more safety checks are needed, with regards changing this stoppage to a possible restriction.  It is looking promising, they just need to check the logistics of how they utilise the scaffolding.  It may be that only narrowboats will be able to travel through, but I believe you have a narrowboat and so this will hopefully not be an issue. 

All of these niggles will be finalised next week and I will be able to update you accordingly.

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, jeanb said:

Stoppage notice has been updated this afternoon. Looks promising for me.

Me too.Would have lost me a good chunk of wages too 😀

Reckon CRT must have had a good few people pestering them about this one.

Great result though so 👍to CRT on this one.