Can we have the "badges" as an option, please?

Puffling
Go to solution Solved by Puffling,

Featured Posts

Starting from today I notice that each member's avatar is overlaid with a coloured "badge" related to their post count.

I haven't seen an option to remove this in Account Settings.

Not only does this badge obscure the avatar, it also seems to promote the notion that more posts is a desirable state. Posting endless links from newspaper articles and then arguing with contributions to such a thread would quickly acquire a "higher" status in the badges. Some members may see this as worthwhile, feeling they earned their 'higher badge' rank. I have no issue with that at all. Let them flaunt their badges and I'll simply chuckle at them.

I accept that the board uses American software, and that they probably love ranks and status even more than Brits, but since I choose not to pin ribbons and badges to my clothes while out in public, I don't see why it should be different here.

Edited by Puffling
  • Greenie 1

I think this relates to the new update as the forum started calculating "achievement points" since that update and has only just finished at which point these badges appear.

We will need to review this further. I will speak to Dan and the team later today and more info will be available soon.

Just now, RichM said:

I think this relates to the new update as the forum started calculating "achievement points" since that update and has only just finished at which point these badges appear.

We will need to review this further. I will speak to Dan and the team later today and more info will be available soon.

Why should I care about what you think?  After all, I'm a Grand Master but you're only a Veteran.

• Haha 2

These Badges are not necessary and do not add to the quality or content of the debate. They might also boost the egos of some who may think that more posts means better!

My vote would be to remove these totally meaningless and unnecessary badges and stop pandering to the "more posts are better" brigade. 🙂

Howard

• Greenie 2

35 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Posting endless links from newspaper articles and then arguing with contributions.

Who would do such a thing ??????

Perhaps there could be a "self agrandissement" badge :)

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I am also not in favour of the badges. New members could well think they are to do with quality of advice, rather than just a post count. (missed the O out of the last word, I think that even if I had not noticed it would have been a reasonable reflection of my view badge wise.)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am also not in favour of the badges. New members could well think they are to do with quality of advice, rather than just a post count. (missed the O out of the last word, I think that even if I had not noticed it would have been a reasonable reflection of my view badge wise.)

If the badges are kept (I'm not in favour) then posts in the politics forum should certainly be excluded from the count, for very obvious reasons.

If this is impossible, that makes getting rid of them pretty much essential...

• Greenie 4

Just now, IanD said:

If the badges are kept (I'm not in favour) then posts in the politics forum should certainly be excluded from the count, for very obvious reasons.

I could not agree more.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

If verbosity was worth a badge, you'd win, hands down. 

• Horror 1

We already have the Reputation rating from the forum. For example, I can see @Tony Brooks rating is 7.5k. Achieved by the more democratic means of other users responding to his posts (I presume greenies, laughing, hearts etc bump up a reputation by one, whereas a horrified emoji subtracts one). No objection to having this number displayed beneath the avatar, as I believe it used to be.

Add 'reputation' to information gleaned by a post count, and a visitor is able to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, as it were. Though I doubt many drill down that deeply.

The only function I imagine is gained from badges is for existing members to compete with each other for higher recognition, in a sort of Hunger Games rank tournament. I speak only for myself here, but I feel there's enough of that goes on already.

I am the odd one out I have just green one 😥

10 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Update: I've seen the list in the other thread.  The badges are disappointingly boring.  I've changed my mind, get rid of them if you can't spice them up a bit.

Where the list ?

10 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Perhaps we could take inspiration from Freemasonry or Dungeons & Dragons.  Then we could aspire to be a "Master of the Brazen Serpent" or a "Numinous Hierophant"

No, just D&D.  Freemasonry is expensive.

Edited by system 4-50

2 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

I am the odd one out I have just green one 😥

Where the list ?

You find it by clicking on the avatar

IMG_20230210_233426.jpg

Newcomer didn't fit on my screen 🙂

I too think the badges have no value but should definitely exclude VP postings if they are to remain.