I feel I have achieved something today

rusty69
Go to solution Solved by RichM,

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

I don't get it. Why do badges need to be overlaid on avatars to denote post counts when we could all just look at the post counts if we felt the need? Or are judged not to be capable of dealing with numbers? I know some people here are really old, some might even be ancient, but come on!

Edit

I see my badge is very grey whereas all the other badges have colour. I want my mum!

You can have mine if you like. I don't want it.

17 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

I don't get it. Why do badges need to be overlaid on avatars to denote post counts when we could all just look at the post counts if we felt the need? Or are judged not to be capable of dealing with numbers? I know some people here are really old, some might even be ancient, but come on!

Edit

I see my badge is very grey whereas all the other badges have colour. I want my mum!

17 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

Edit

A couple of weeks and a few dozen posts, you'll be boatswain, old hand or midsipman

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You can have mine if you like. I don't want it.

I don't want it either. Print it out and use it as a coaster.

5 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

A couple of weeks and a few dozen posts, you'll be boatswain, old hand or midsipman

How very dare you. I'm a Rear Admiral.

Edited by Willonaboat
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

But you are just a "Rank Newcomer" - you need to earn your 'colours;.

10 minutes ago, Willonaboat said:

How very dare you. I'm a Rear Admiral.

Your sexual preferences are not needed to post on the forum.

1 hour ago, Willonaboat said:

Edit

Remember it is American software the forum runs on, so possibly the look at the post counts suggestion may be too difficult in the home market.:D

It doesn't just look at post counts. It also looks at reactions (greenies) received & given. It looks at users who create topics and users who gain x amount of followers to their respective topic etc. Essentially if you create a topic that turns out to be popular, you will be rewarded in points for that. It looks at members who login for x number of days consecutively and rewards points for that too.  These are just a few examples but essentially it rewards users for engaging in the community. If it promotes that then perhaps not a bad thing??

I'm conscious that we seem to be disabling or turning off most the new features Invision release, for better or for worse. I'm leaning towards the latter but that's just my opinion. I don't do that for any other site I'm involved in yet here there seems to be much more backlash/resistance to change. 

Edit: I have attached some of the "rules" that it uses to define when points are rewarded. 

rules.jpg.c4cd037eb15ad9b2635bda14e9e43a69.jpg

Again this is not to say this will remain. I have asked @DHutch to give his verdict so it may be something we drop following the latest update.

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, RichM said:

It doesn't just look at post counts. It also looks at reactions (greenies) received & given. It looks at users who create topics and users who gain x amount of followers to their respective topic etc. Essentially if you create a topic that turns out to be popular, you will be rewarded in points for that. It looks at members who login for x number of days consecutively and rewards points for that too.  These are just a few examples but essentially it rewards users for engaging in the community. If it promotes that then perhaps not a bad thing??

I'm conscious that we seem to be disabling or turning off most the new features Invision release, for better or for worse. I'm leaning towards the latter but that's just my opinion. I don't do that for any other site I'm involved in yet here there seems to be much more backlash/resistance to change. 

Edit: I have attached some of the "rules" that it uses to define when points are rewarded. 

rules.jpg.c4cd037eb15ad9b2635bda14e9e43a69.jpg

Again this is not to say this will remain. I have asked @DHutch to give his verdict so it may be something we drop following the latest update.

Don't tell 'em, Pike. They'll be gaming the system!

1 hour ago, RichM said:

Some of those may or may not reward any points. ;) I just wanted to make clear that it's not all about giving people a badge for posting in the VP forum etc. :)

“What do points make?”

Brucie.jpg

Another Bruce and audience quote – this time Bruce would ask the question, and then the audience would respond: “Prizes!”

"Not in this game."

Edited by Ray T

Points are currently recalculating to exclude VP and Political & Current Affairs forum with idea to award points for engaging in areas more relevant to what CWDF is about, i.e. content relevant to our waterways & boats. This should make it fairer. 

While we continue to trial this, is it possible to have some suggestions on what we could name each achievement? We need a maximum of 12 and ideally it would be ideal if they could be related to canals/boats but preferably not titles that imply too much in the way of status or merit. This is designed to be a bit of fun as to reward users for engaging in the community. 

I thought perhaps:

• Observer
  • Explorer
  • Engager
  • Contributor
  • Collaborator
  • Community Regular
  • Rising Star
  • Proficient
  • Experienced
  • Influencer
  • Veteran
  • Veteran II

But maybe these are a bit boring and if we could make it canal / boat themed, it may be better.

On 12/02/2023 at 17:20, cuthound said:

Can't we have something useful like post numbers rather than this badge gimmick?

Post counts should be displayed beneath your avatar.

On 10/02/2023 at 19:41, DandV said:

Is there something we can do to earn us a place higher up on the list, towards the top?, rather then apparently one way descent to the bottom?

Would acquiring a few warning points, or even a ban for a period be enough?

Nice idea but there is no way for it to detract points automatically 

Sub prime seaman 

Roger the cabin boy

Enigmatic ensign 

Boring boatswain 

Petty minded ociffer 

Pedantic pirate 

Troll commander 

Ships Councilor 

Argumentative Admiral 

Haggard Horatio 

Elsan Waterloo 

Master marinater

Edited by rusty69

I'd like forum members able to nominate individual members for the title of ….. Guru in a small number of cases.  The qualification …. would be necessary as experts in one field can be a prat in others.  Only members who achieved a large number of nominations would receive the title (at a special event where they would be required to wear a low-cut dress).

48 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I'd like forum members able to nominate individual members for the title of ….. Guru in a small number of cases.  The qualification …. would be necessary as experts in one field can be a prat in others.  Only members who achieved a large number of nominations would receive the title (at a special event where they would be required to wear a low-cut dress).

Another forum (VBulletin software) I am a member of does have something similar - there are various grades of members (but not flagged with a huge crown covering their avatar) and one category called 'Advisory Panel Member'

These are forum members who because of their job**, having written techinical books on the subject**, or, whom by their postings are generally acknowledged as being an expert** in that field and who agree to be consulted are given that role.

Each Panel member writes a short explanation of their background, knowledge and experience on the subject.

One could be an panel member based on gas installation knowledge, but not on welding, or on 12v electrics but not on anchoring. etc.

** An author, or expert on (say) microwave communication, building houses, or building bridges is not likely to be 'qualified' to be an Advisor on a boating forum.

There is a section within the forum called the "Knowledge Library" where members can submit articles and documents for submission into the library. Many of the Advisory Panel members write such articles.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 hours ago, RichM said:

Post counts should be displayed beneath your avatar.

Not post counts, but post numbers to make identification of a specific post possible without having to quote it. You know like we used to have umpteen upgrades ago. :)