Solar farm proposal next to Oxford Canal in Coventry

Featured Posts

https://letstalk.coventry.gov.uk/solarfarm

8ae3c4a1f102b2908a8a8f688f37ab90_Solar_Farm_area_plan.jpeg.c0f5008f735dcc88fa6b8a6d3abfca92.jpeg

The Council will soon be submitting a planning application to create a 33megawatt (MW) solar farm on land on Lentons Lane and adjacent to Sowe Common. If approved, the solar farm will be built on the land in four areas - shown on the plan.

The Council owns the land and has selected this site as it has excellent connections to the electrical grid.

Solar power is pollution-free and causes no greenhouse gases to be emitted after installation. The way that we generate and consume energy in the UK is changing. The Government has committed to achieving ‘net zero’ carbon emissions (compared to 1990 levels) by 2050. That means older means of energy generation, like old fossil fuel power stations, are being taken out of use. There is an urgent need for new, cleaner, forms of energy generation to replace them. Solar farms such as this have a major role to play in meeting this need.

This image shows you how a solar farm works

Wildlife and ecology

We have carried out a full range of ecological surveys and will make sure that the solar farm will not negatively impact species or habitats. We have also developed a plan which includes preserving hedgerows and habitats.

Construction, Operation and Management

• The solar farm will take around seven months to set up.
  • Construction traffic will access the site from junction 2 of the M6 and will not use residential roads.
  • The solar farm will operate silently – so you will not hear any noise from it. The panels would be fenced off with CCTV to ensure security.
  • Solar farms have an operational lifespan of 40 years. Once the solar farm reaches the end of its lifespan, it will be dismantled and the site returned to its previous condition. This will be funded through the operational lifetime of the solar farm.

Presumably they will get their solar panels from sources with certificates to mention they are not using forced labour in China. 

Other than that as long as the solar is as cheap as possible we like. More power to the people always good. Specially electric power so we can watch the big telly and get the EV to save the world. 

5 hours ago, John Brightley said:

The Council will soon be submitting a planning application to create a 33megawatt (MW) solar farm on land on Lentons Lane and adjacent to Sowe Common. If approved, the solar farm will be built on the land in four areas - shown on the plan.

Dunno about anyone else, but I can only see three areas shown on the plan. 

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There is now a solar farm beside the Aire & Calder, next to where Kellingley Colliery used to be.

So there is!

Sad in a way to think the last time I passed 'Big K' on the boat it was a working mine employing hundreds of miners. But I suppose it's fitting that part of the site is covered with a renewable energy source, doubt it will employ 2,000 people though.

Kellingly.JPG

48 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I hope they have floating pontoons because in a wet spell, a very large lake forms to the left of the farm in the Central section.

Yup, there’s four or five large pylons running through those fields too, perhaps that’s the…

15 hours ago, John Brightley said:

excellent connections to the electrical grid.

…that they are talking about?

42 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There is now a solar farm beside the Aire & Calder, next to where Kellingley Colliery used to be.

It was the first pit in the country to produce a million tons in a year from a single coal face.

It was back in the 1970s. We had a visit there but I can't remember the name of that face.

I wonder what happened to those big capital letter 'K's that were on the top of the winding towers?

(Good grief! I'm so old I can remember when there were coal mines in Yorkshire)

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

It was the first pit in the country to produce a million tons in a year from a single coal face.

It was back in the 1970s. We had a visit there but I can't remember the name of that face.

I wonder what happened to those big capital letter 'K's that were on the top of the winding towers?

(Good grief! I'm so old I can remember when there were coal mines in Yorkshire)

My uncle (at least, his job...) moved to Kellingley after the Prince of Wales in Pontefract closed. He retired in his fifties, and died of pneumoconiosis a few years later, like many other coal miners... 😞

Edited by IanD

4 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

The Government has committed to achieving ‘net zero’ carbon emissions (compared to 1990 levels) by 2050. 

I am confused as to what this might mean. Why does it mention 1990?

It appears to be a quote from the Climate Change Act -see

https://www.theccc.org.uk/what-is-climate-change/a-legal-duty-to-act/

"The Climate Change Act commits the UK government by law to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by at least 100% of 1990 levels (net zero) by 2050. "

2 hours ago, John Brightley said:

"The Climate Change Act commits the UK government by law to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by at least 100% of 1990 levels (net zero) by 2050. "

If they are reduced by 100% of the base year, it doesn't really matter what base year you choose.

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

If they are reduced by 100% of the base year, it doesn't really matter what base year you choose.

Well, no.  If you reduced emissions by the levels of base year 1066, say, then you will not get 'net zero'.

Indeed if there was an increase post 1990, which is then reduced by 1990 levels, net zero won't be achieved either.

N