Changes to moorings in Birmingham being considered by CRT

Tonka

Featured Posts

I went through Brum during the Common Wealth games and it was empty

Ive been through Brum several times over the winter and it was empty, so definitely don’t need to be 2 day only during winter, which is the new proposal.

Too many moorings are already given over to the trip boats and seem little used.

Looks like CRT are proposing more service moorings for Sherborne who only offer a part time service.

I agree there ought to be more disabled moorings but that’s about it.

Cambrian wharf can be confusing, but 🤷‍♀️so what

it really reads like some control freak in an office has had nowt to do all winter but f about.

if Birmingham is a confusion and mish mash of moorings then that’s been  CRT’s fault over the past years

keep it simple and stick to 14 days

oh, September was busy and it was great to see it that way, but there was still room to spare

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 3

Only time I saw Birmingham nearly full last year was the night before the BCN challenge but even then there were a couple of full length moorings available.  The only thing I think needed is sorting the signage out so both ends of a section of mooring say the same thing rather than one end saying 14 days and the other end 2 days.  There is generally a mixture of those who pass through and just want a space overnight and those that want to arrive and spend a leisurely few days visiting the city.

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ive been through Brum several times over the winter and it was empty, so definitely don’t need to be 2 day only during winter, which is the new proposal.

Too many moorings are already given over to the trip boats and seem little used.

Looks like CRT are proposing more service moorings for Sherborne who only offer a part time service.

it really reads like some control freak in an office has had nowt to do all winter but f about.

if Birmingham is a confusion and mish mash of moorings then that’s been  CRT’s fault over the past years

oh, September was busy and it was great to see it that way, but there was still room to spare

When I went through in September there wasnt a single moored boat from Holiday Wharf all the way through Gas Street.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I went through in September there wasnt a single moored boat from Holiday Wharf all the way through Gas Street.

We spent a few days there in June, moored in the Oozells Street loop VM, no shortage of space in the area.

The document refers to putting new signs up in March 2023 and evaluating in September, which could  imply that they are going to implement the changes next month regardless of any feedback from the February consultation,  and then see how the changes  have  worked.  

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

The document refers to putting new signs up in March 2023 and evaluating in September, which could  imply that they are going to implement the changes next month regardless of any feedback from the February consultation,  and then see how the changes  have  worked.  

Definition of 'consultation' :

We have decided to do this, we ask what you think of it and if you agree, thats great but if you disagree - tough ! It is our bat & ball and we will do what we want.

• Greenie 1

There is a link in the article to provide feedback.

for what it’s worth

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Definition of 'consultation' :

We have decided to do this, we ask what you think of it and if you agree, thats great but if you disagree - tough ! It is our bat & ball and we will do what we want.

very true

A couple of years ago my local.councillor forwarded me a link to the publicly-available (if you knew where to look) minutes of a council committee  meeting which made the  decision to implement a 20mph speed limit on our local roads. The meeting was held before the expiry of the public consultation period. 

I have penned an objection to this 'consultation' on the grounds that they're not following the agreed process and not answering the questions that the process says must be published at least six weeks before a trial period (of not less than six months) starts.  In essence I'm saying that no case for the 2-day all year restriction has been made, that the signage problem is of their own making (and is easily fixed....), and that they are not saying how they'll review the trial and the difference it's made to behaviour....

• Greenie 3

57 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

And as 95% of boaters will obey the signs it will be almost 100% success with very few problems. They wont look to see how full or empty they are overnight as they all leave off at 4-30 and go out to the carpark to go home

29 minutes ago, DaveP said:

I have penned an objection to this 'consultation' on the grounds that they're not following the agreed process and not answering the questions that the process says must be published at least six weeks before a trial period (of not less than six months) starts.  In essence I'm saying that no case for the 2-day all year restriction has been made, that the signage problem is of their own making (and is easily fixed....), and that they are not saying how they'll review the trial and the difference it's made to behaviour....

I had a reply this evening from Mr Simons 

48 minutes ago, Goliath said:

There is a link in the article to provide feedback.

for what it’s worth

very true

When I used to work in a proper job we were all individually "consulted" about a major change to organisation structure such that the bosses "vision" could be rebranded as "our vision". The plan was bollocks and as a logical thinking engineer I had to point this out to them 😀.

I was firmly told "you have to understand that this is a one way consultation"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dmr said:

When I used to work in a proper job we were all individually "consulted" about a major change to organisation structure such that the bosses "vision" could be rebranded as "our vision". The plan was bollocks and as a logical thinking engineer I had to point this out to them 😀.

I was firmly told "you have to understand that this is a one way consultation"

British Airways management used the same consultation rules

14 hours ago, Goliath said:

I pass through Brum regularly, including during the Commonwealth Games.  I've never seen it empty. 

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's generally the least popular place to moor due to the passing footfall.  I'll bet there were plenty of boats down past the Sealife Centre on the mainline.

42 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've never seen it empty

Ever seen it full?

Ever struggled to find anywhere to more?

I’d say 2 boats between Old Turn Jn and Vincent Street Bridge (?) is an empty stretch of mooring. 
That’s what I witnessed this Winter. One Boat was Granny Buttons. 
If I’ve read it proper, that stretch is to become 2 day in the Winter!!

I can’t help thinking this is an example of CRTs energies being wasted when they could be doing something better. 

They even have the cheek to propose giving a mooring over to a ‘Welcoming Boat’. Welcoming who?

Edited by Goliath

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ever seen it full? I've never specifically looked to see if it was full. 

Ever struggled to find anywhere to more?  I've been unable to find a 14 day mooring there without resorting to the outskirts where I don't feel safe.

I’d say 2 boats between Old Turn Jn and Vincent Street Bridge (?) is an empty stretch of mooring. I'd say you don't know what empty means.
That’s what I witnessed this Winter. One Boat was Granny Buttons. 
If I’ve read it proper, that stretch is to become 2 day in the Winter!!

I can’t help thinking this is an example of CRTs energies being wasted when they could be doing something better. 

They even have the cheek to propose giving a mooring over to a ‘Welcoming Boat’. Welcoming who?

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I pass through Brum regularly, including during the Commonwealth Games.  I've never seen it empty. 

That's generally the least popular place to moor due to the passing footfall.  I'll bet there were plenty of boats down past the Sealife Centre on the mainline.

No