CWDF - Wiki - Opinions?

RichM

CWDF - Wiki - Opinions?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a CWDF Wiki or similar?

• Yes, I think this is a good idea
    • Yes, I think this is a good idea and I'd be keen to contribute content
    • No
    • Indifferent
    • Abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/23 at 22:46

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Have you actually read the question?

"Would you like to see a CWDF Wiki or similar?"

How you get from "No" as an answer to the actual question to thinking we oppose it and want to prevent others doing so I'm not sure ...

"No" I would not like to see a wiki = I would like to see no wiki. 

Hope that helps....

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not really. It's the jump you make from "I don't want to see a wiki " to "So nobody else is allowed one either" that's bizarre.

Shirley it comes down to how the results are interpreted. 

If it is a simple case of the numbers indicating a majority in favour of a wiki, then those votes against having one may prevent it happening. 

The results are in, so what is the verdict? 

Edited by rusty69

20 hours ago, MtB said:

I find it puzzling that 32% have voted a straight "No", they don't want a wiki. 

If other people on here want to write a wiki, why on earth would the people here with no interest feel moved to actually oppose it?!  

Just my opinion of course but I think a wiki would negatively effect the forum traffic, why would anyone ask "what's the best boat toilet" when the question is answered on the wiki.

None of which suggests I would actively try to stop or hinder a wiki if the decision is made to create one, I was asked for my opinion and I gave it

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I'd say the verdict is - yes to a Wiki. Only question 3 would indicate opposition to it. The first two question support the idea. The last two are neutral. 

I would too, but it would depend on the criteria that the OP, and the forum owner requires to be met, as a minimum, to go ahead. 

Perhaps a minimum ratio of results to regular forum visitor numbers also needs to be taken into account. 

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Just my opinion of course but I think a wiki would negatively effect the forum traffic, why would anyone ask "what's the best boat toilet" when the question is answered on the wiki.

None of which suggests I would actively try to stop or hinder a wiki if the decision is made to create one, I was asked for my opinion and I gave it

I think this example is a perfect illustration as to why a wiki may not be a good idea. There is no correct answer to the toilet question because it is down to personal preference and personal fitness of the boater. It could end up being endlessly edited as some try to push their own preferences - just look at the existing topics covering the subject.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think this example is a perfect illustration as to why a wiki may not be a good idea. There is no correct answer to the toilet question because it is down to personal preference and personal fitness of the boater. It could end up being endlessly edited as some try to push their own preferences - just look at the existing topics covering the subject.

I did pick bog choice as a slightly ridiculous example.

Let's be honest cassette is the only real choice :)

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

On the other hand it might prevent the common situation where a newbie -- often young and/or female, but not always -- asks an obvious question and is treated unpleasantly by some long-standing forum members, leaves CWDF and never comes back.

Maybe some of these newbies would turn into keen boaters and forumites given the chance, but they're driven away by the grumpy old men -- which is what the forum ends up mainly consisting of... 😉

A wiki would mean that a simple answer directing the newbie to it was all that would be needed -- or they might have found it already from the home page. If they read the wiki and then come back with more informed questions, they'd probably get more helpful answers, and be more likely to stay -- which if nothing else would bring the CWDF age profile.down... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

This is actually a perfect example of why a wiki would be a good thing. Wikis are supposed to present facts and eliminate opinion. There would be one page for each toilet type and all the *facts* about each presented - nothing preferred over the other, people can read all the pages in question and make their own decisions. The same thing happens now (I imagine) reading through the forum but the information is extremely diluted and full of snarkiness, arguing, and opinion-based language.

• Greenie 4

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

This has the wrong idea of what a wiki is about.  A wiki is there to record information, not act like Solomon and legislate a single perfect solution.  In this case it would list the various alternative solutions and the merits and disadvantages of each, despite pumpout being the only civilised solution.

• Greenie 2

If suggestions that a Wiki would be a digital compendium of information devoid of of personal opinion or influence is correct. I would be more in favour of one. I can see it's value for contributors who are regularly asked for the same information, requiring them to send messages with sometimes quite large attatchments. For example, I presume that I would be able post the Ellis Heatmaster Installation and maintenance Instructions.

• Greenie 1

On 26/02/2023 at 12:40, rusty69 said:

^^^^^^^^What he said.

I suspect we have to wait for Daniel and the other Mods to make a decision, As two of them haven't even visited the site for more than two years, don't expect anything to happen quickly..

• Haha 1

On 26/02/2023 at 12:32, David Schweizer said:

If suggestions that a Wiki would be a digital compendium of information devoid of of personal opinion or influence is correct. I would be more in favour of one. I can see it's value for contributors who are regularly asked for the same information, requiring them to send messages with sometimes quite large attatchments. For example, I presume that I would be able post the Ellis Heatmaster Installation and maintenance Instructions.

The problem here is that's a VERY BIG 'If'.

Given that many avid forum posters are very fond of stating their opinion as fact...

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I suspect we have to wait for Daniel and the other Mods to make a decision, As two of them haven't even visited the site for more than two years, don't expect anything to happen quickly..

Rich has already polled us in our own bit of the forum, I think the three of us that do anything have answered it, I have.