Not looking good for us

Midnight

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Only because you or a previous owner has declared it when licencing the boat. CRT has no independent verification of any of the boat data on their records.

Post RCD boats should have all the relevant documentation, but I imagine as the years pass this may get separated from the boat. And there may be no reliable records for pre RCD craft, home built boats etc.

No idea how old mine is. CRT don't know,  BW didn't. Might be able to do carbon dating on the rust... I bought it, I think,  in 1989, the guy I got it from had bought it off someone else about ten years before. It looks like an early hire boat by the layout and I think the engine is mid sixties, except I've also forgotten how to work that out from the Lister data plate.

But as most boats don't decrease much in value, age may not be a good way of deciding a decreasing charge. I really don't think there is one.

People who can afford it, and who like it, will always mess about in boats while there's something to mess about on. And most of them still wave as they pass, however rich they are (virtually all of them more than me, that's for sure).

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Only because you or a previous owner has declared it when licencing the boat. CRT has no independent verification of any of the boat data on their records.

Post RCD boats should have all the relevant documentation, but I imagine as the years pass this may get separated from the boat. And there may be no reliable records for pre RCD craft, home built boats etc.

yes I think CRT accepts what you give them

mine’s like yours an old hull (well half an old hull) with a 1980’s cabin, so old in both respects but which to go by?
I guess the hull.

21 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No idea how old mine is. CRT don't know,  BW didn't. Might be able to do carbon dating on the rust... I bought it, I think,  in 1989, the guy I got it from had bought it off someone else about ten years before. It looks like an early hire boat by the layout and I think the engine is mid sixties, except I've also forgotten how to work that out from the Lister data plate.

But as most boats don't decrease much in value, age may not be a good way of deciding a decreasing charge. I really don't think there is one.

People who can afford it, and who like it, will always mess about in boats while there's something to mess about on. And most of them still wave as they pass, however rich they are (virtually all of them more than me, that's for sure).

If anything older than 25 years is a flat rate you wouldn't have a problem anyway, all CART need to know would be "pre-1998"...

Boats certainly do decrease in value with age, nobody buying a 20-year-old boat would be able to afford one if they cost the same as a new one... 🙂

Like I keep saying, rejecting the good because it's not perfect isn't sensible, there'll *never* be any perfect system -- the question is whether it's better than what we have now.

I'd say a system where someone on a 25-year-old boat pays half the license fee of someone on a brand new boat is better than them paying the same, for the reasons given above -- nothing to do with usage of water or locks or anything else, it's a proxy for ability to pay. But I'm sure others will disagree, especially if it costs them more money... 😉

Edited by IanD

Just now, Cheshire cat said:

I took the train from Manchester to Leeds on Sunday. I was pleasantly suprised by just how many boats there are on the Rochdale. Many more than I was expecting.

Finally saw the light and came to civilisation 🤣🤣👍

2 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I took the train from Manchester to Leeds on Sunday. I was pleasantly suprised by just how many boats there are on the Rochdale. Many more than I was expecting.

Were they all afloat on the water, or were some upside down and on fire on the mud? 😉

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Last time we discussed licence pricing by value I suggested insured value would be an easy starting point, especially as CRT already have permission to check insurance details.

Last time I suggested that it was shot down in flames by the usual suspects... 😞

Just now, IanD said:

Last time I suggested that it was shot down in flames by the usual suspects... 😞

Yeah. How about measuring the length of a boat and just charging according to how long it is. We could even have a chart to look it up on. 

I expect this simple idea will get shot down in flames too. 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yeah. How about measuring the length of a boat and just charging according to how long it is. We could even have a chart to look it up on. 

Yeah. How about measuring the width of a boat and just charging according to how wide it is. We could even have a chart to look it up on. 

There seems to be a theme here... 😞

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Yeah. How about measuring the width of a boat and just charging according to how wide it is. We could even have a chart to look it up on. 

No that would be GROSSLY UNFAIR!!!!!

Apparently....

Volume. Gauge the draught and charge based on that and the length x width. 

Could help pay for more dredging.

Just now, Jon57 said:

How about a black box or whatever colour 😬pay per mile and lock 🥴

I tolled you already this was the answer. 

Just now, MtB said:

Otherwise known as displacement in the world of shipping. 

I was thinking about canal boats. 

Most (not all) have vertical sides below the water so it would be easy to gauge the volume without complicated equations or a travel hoist to weigh it with. 

1 minute ago, Jon57 said:

How about a black box or whatever colour 😬pay per mile and lock 🥴

Which of course would encourage people to squat in one place and never move, and penalises people who actually use the canals -- well, for navigation, like the name suggests.

I expect this would be popular with the first group and *very* unpopular with the second group -- which presumably includes most of the boaters (on CWDF and elsewhere) with any interest in or commitment to the canals... 😞

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Which of course would encourage people to squat in one place and never move, and penalises people who actually use the canals -- well, for navigation, like the name suggests.

I expect this would be popular with the first group and *very* unpopular with the second group -- which presumably includes most of the boaters (on CWDF and elsewhere) with any interest in or commitment to the canals... 😞

Yes but a toll would be charged as long as you were on the water in a certain area not just how often you used moveable structures. 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Even them in a marina 🤭standard licence fee plus pay as you go fee👍