Proposed revamp of Smethwick top lock area

nicknorman

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Not sure citing Port Loop development as an example is good given that development stopped when the company collapsed.

Hopefully though a regeneration may stop the vandalism.

I didn't know that Port Loop (Urban Splash) had gone bust. But I see you are right. Their website still seems up and running though.

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I notice that  the words "boat(s)" and "mooring(s)" do not appear once in the document. Yet CRT has 16 residential moorings and a Facilities Block on the arm. What provision is being made for them I wonder?

If the red line on the above aerial photo is the boundary of the development, then the long term moorings, services, and winding hole are outside that area.  You just need to pass through the area to gain access by boat.

Yes thats right, but it is a fascinating area, (if you look up and keep your eyes open.)

We always try and stop off-over-night at the arm end if we have time.

The buildings accent the first bend are probably the most interesting in terms of regeneration. 
No locks on the arm? So that must be an attempt at some form of planning gain?
The restored lock/toll office was burn down about 10 years ago.

I would be interested to know more of what is happening at Port Loop?

Edited by oboat

13 minutes ago, oboat said:

It wasn't a restored one and its been burn down several times. it was all intact last time I passed.

Yes the Toll Office is in good condition at moment. 

The bloke I chatted to down the Engine Arm spoke about the buildings opposite side being up for development and proposed plans for apartments. But he didn’t seem to bothered. 
whether he should be or no 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Goliath

6 hours ago, Goliath said:

The bloke I chatted to down the Engine Arm spoke about the buildings opposite side being up for development and proposed plans for apartments. But he didn’t seem to bothered. 

He should be bothered, when the no solid fuel stoves  and running diesel engines ban comes in a week after the new residents move into their shiny new homes.

There some short term moorings too, or perhaps they were in just for the Commonweath Games last year, between the 90degree turn and the slight bend in the canal, all in the red area.

Its probably just me but Im sad to see yet more of old Birmingham canal areas turning into housing, despite all the housing problems.  Some of those old factories were still providing employment and fabrications last year. 

35 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

There some short term moorings too, or perhaps they were in just for the Commonweath Games last year, between the 90degree turn and the slight bend in the canal, all in the red area.

Its probably just me but Im sad to see yet more of old Birmingham canal areas turning into housing, despite all the housing problems.  Some of those old factories were still providing employment and fabrications last year. 

They were, but when you visited by road it was a pretty grim area with the factories in a sad state of decline.

On 07/02/2023 at 14:07, oboat said:

Yes thats right, but it is a fascinating area, (if you look up and keep your eyes open.)

We always try and stop off-over-night at the arm end if we have time.

The buildings accent the first bend are probably the most interesting in terms of regeneration. 
No locks on the arm? So that must be an attempt at some form of planning gain?

23 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yes the Toll Office is in good condition at moment. 

And the original wasn't hexagonal.

23 hours ago, matty40s said:

He should be bothered, when the no solid fuel stoves  and running diesel engines ban comes in a week after the new residents move into their shiny new homes.

Are you suggesting that the Garment Assembly building opposite the mooring service block is up for development?